Is a Rigby worth it?

I have just sold some property for a very healthy price so I have come into some money, I’ve already floated the idea with the boss (wife). Here in Australia there are a few for sale…. So it would be 30-06, 375h&h or 9.3 I am booked for a hunt in 2023 with KMG so it will be coming on that!

This maybe be a silly question on a forum like this but…. Is a Rigby rifle really worth it?
As some have mentioned purchasing a Rigby is a personal preference. You will pay a lot extra for the name. If you do go for one get the 375 H&H for a great all around rifle.

We have a Highland Stalker in 9.3x62. It is a fine rifle and I am glad it is in my collection. It has accounted for an impressive number of animals, from coyote to Cape buffalo, in its short history. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

I have just sold some property for a very healthy price so I have come into some money, I’ve already floated the idea with the boss (wife). Here in Australia there are a few for sale…. So it would be 30-06, 375h&h or 9.3 I am booked for a hunt in 2023 with KMG so it will be coming on that!

This maybe be a silly question on a forum like this but…. Is a Rigby rifle really worth it?
soooo…….What caliber Rigby are you buying? :)

As an owner of a fine Rigby Big Game in the classic 416 Rigby caliber, I would say Yes! Absolutely worth it. I also have a couple of Model 70's and they are great rifles, but when you set them side by side with the Rigby, you can see the similarities, but also the differences. It's very much like putting the best American made automobile next to a Bentley. They will both get you from place to place, but one of them is a really sweet ride.
Buy the Rigby and don't pay any attention to anyone who says "you can get the same thing for less."

If you have the money and you want it, it's worth it. Like the man said, "If you have to ask the price you can't afford it".
But what else you going to do with your money? It's losing 3% a month in the bank and as Mary Poppins said, "A thing of beauty is a Joy Forever!"

Rhetorically.....Are you a Ford, Chevy, Dodge type?
Rhetorically,....Are you a city slicker for luxury or a beast for the tough outdoors?

I prioritize....
All debts are paid off.
A comfortable amount of money set aside for just in case.....(roughly 80% of your remaining windfall)
Split the remaining 20% evenly between you and your wife to splurge on what ever tickles your fancies.

Come back to Earth and return to common sense spending.

If your 10% equates to a new Rigby. And you really want it, then I say buy it.

Me Personally, I would consider a Winchester, Ruger, Mossberg Patriot model,...I'm a Ford, Chevy, Dodge type...I don't care about the name brand!, I care about the quality, functionality, durability, usefulness, intended purpose, long term need and lastly cost...which I base my purchase, best for my money not the seller's pocket.

I purchased 2 used Remingtons, 1 in 375 H&H, 1 in 458WM and I'm very much satisfied with them as being dependable and accurate rifles. They aren't safe queens, but for my area of the US they don't get used a whole lot because we don't have very long bear and deer gun seasons and boar hunting is coincidentally while hunting deer or bear.

Your location in Oz. You can easily justify the Rigby as your go to choice in any of the 3 calibers you mentioned.

As a couple others have mentioned I agree, you might consider saving some of your money by purchasing a used, well cared for, Rigby in caliber of choice and use your savings by spending more time and on animals while your in Africa.....and perhaps a new addition, a.k.a. trophy room to your home when you get back.

I know a long winded, Just My 2¢.

As an owner of a fine Rigby Big Game in the classic 416 Rigby caliber, I would say Yes! Absolutely worth it. I also have a couple of Model 70's and they are great rifles, but when you set them side by side with the Rigby, you can see the similarities, but also the differences. It's very much like putting the best American made automobile next to a Bentley. They will both get you from place to place, but one of them is a really sweet ride.
Buy the Rigby and don't pay any attention to anyone who says "you can get the same thing for less."

No offense just curious: "...putting the best American made automobile next to a Bentley." then to say, "They will both get you from place to place...".

I'm the mid size truck type. I like plenty of horsepower for towing, 4x4 off roading to get to and from my hunting areas, the ergonomics of the mid size for turning around in rather tight spaces, the interior space to carry my gear with plenty of leg room, and plenty of power/speed and ground clearance for the beat up main/major highways.

Really....who would actually consider taking a Bentley off road?

Just asking?

I honestly don’t find the comparison between a Winchester and Rigby or Chevy and Bentley to be very accurate for this situation. The more apt comparison is if you could get a rifle almost exactly like a Rigby for less money except it is not a Rigby and does not bear the Rigby name, is that something you’d be interested in? It just comes down to a matter of preference.

The Highland Stalker is a high end production rifle from a legendary maker.

Could you get a much more customized rifle from a respected custom maker for about the same price? Yes.

Could you get a less expensive production rifle from another company? Of course.

Is there something special about a rifle in a classic caliber from one of London’s best? Absolutely.

Is there an up charge for owning such a rifle? With no offense or judgment on my end, I think the numbers say yes (especially if you want some extras that would normally come standard on a more customized rifle in that price range)

You have to decide if you want a fantastic Rigby or a fantastic rifle like a Rigby. If you want a Rigby, then grab one and go hunt!

To add to my post above;

Last year I bought a well used Heym 88B double rifle in .458 Winchester. It had been owned by a late surgeon who with it, as reported but his son who witnessed, killed elephant, 2 lions, rhino, hippo, buffalo, and assorted lesser game. I don't know if it was used to bag leopard but it brought home the other big four.

For me, I carried it on an elephant hunt where it was not fired. It did kill a couple warthogs and at 116 yards, a giraffe. The gun has provenance that with luck, I will add to.
No offense just curious: "...putting the best American made automobile next to a Bentley." then to say, "They will both get you from place to place...".

I'm the mid size truck type. I like plenty of horsepower for towing, 4x4 off roading to get to and from my hunting areas, the ergonomics of the mid size for turning around in rather tight spaces, the interior space to carry my gear with plenty of leg room, and plenty of power/speed and ground clearance for the beat up main/major highways.

Really....who would actually consider taking a Bentley off road?

Just asking?
Rubber floor mats, manual shift Transfer cases, & Rugers, Remingtons, or Winchesters preferred here.

I am not in Bentley’s target audience.

Well heck, let’s do the total package.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.42.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.42.52 AM.png
    398.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.42.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.42.55 AM.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.42.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.42.57 AM.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.42.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.42.59 AM.png
    4 MB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.43.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.43.00 AM.png
    4 MB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.43.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.43.01 AM.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.43.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.43.02 AM.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.43.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.43.03 AM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 55
Rubber floor mats, manual shift Transfer cases, & Rugers, Remingtons, or Winchesters preferred here.

I am not in Bentley’s target audience.
That is perfectly ok.

But my beater rifle is a R8 professional with synthetic stock. The metal finish is impervious to anything on the planet, the rifle is supremely accurate, and I know I can count on it in any situation under any conditions. My beater watch is a 70's era Rolex Submariner. It looks like any number of knock offs, but it has kept perfect time on four continents and through one war for forty plus years. I never go abroad without it.

I purchased the Rigby because it gives me enormous pleasure to use it on African plains game. That is a personal gratification and what anyone else thinks of that allocation of resources is fairly uninteresting.

I likewise make no judgement about someone who believes that a Savage 110 accomplishes the same thing at far less expense. Good for them.

I should note that my '69 Land Cruiser FJ40 has rubber floor mats, four on the floor, and manual lock outs.

The key on any of these sorts of purchases is to not give any thought whatsoever to what anyone else thinks about such an investment. Do it or not do it based purely upon the joy the use of such a special item gives you and you alone.

That is perfectly ok.

But my beater rifle is a R8 professional with synthetic stock. The metal finish is impervious to anything on the planet, the rifle is supremely accurate, and I know I can count on it in any situation under any conditions. My beater watch is a 70's era Rolex Submariner. It looks like any number of knock offs, but it has kept perfect time on four continents and through one war for forty plus years. I never go abroad without it.

I purchased the Rigby because it gives me enormous pleasure to use it on African plains game. That is a personal gratification and what anyone else thinks of that allocation of resources is fairly uninteresting.

I likewise make no judgement about someone who believes that a Savage 110 accomplishes the same thing at far less expense. Good for them.

I should note that my '69 Land Cruiser FJ40 has rubber floor mats, four on the floor, and manual lock outs.

The key on any of these sorts of purchases is to not give any thought whatsoever to what anyone else thinks about such an investment. Do it or not do it based purely upon the joy the use of such a special item gives you and you alone.
I’ve always been fascinated with the English rifles & smooth bores but my priorities have historically been focused elsewhere. Being left handed seems to help in that regard as well!

I’m amazed at all the different stripes of life on this forum & the openness to share with each other in such discussions: enjoying the Outdoors & the tools that go along with hunting seems to be the main theme here & I thoroughly enjoy reading everyone else’s perspectives.

Thank You

Absolutely! I bought some nice guns but average about $1200 per gun. I went to Africa then decided to sell 7 of those guns to get a Rigby in 275 and a Chabuis 450-400 DR and have never looked back. To me it is about the total experience

Should one buy a Rigby?
One just as soon might ask if there is ever any justification for a true top tier luxurious ANYTHING to be made by or for anyone! I say yes--otherwise, do you really want to live in a world where no one studies to become a master engraver, or stocker, or metalsmith? Should no one own a fine leather-bound book, even fine Bibles, because someone thinks they are snooty, or shamefully extravagant or because a cheap paperback would do? Nonsense! I would rather own one work of art than 5 mundane tools. Sometimes the petty jealousy is from fellow hunters and campmates who don't mind blowing a bundle on a camper, but think I am out of line for having a fine firearm. Let them stew in their own juices. I plan to carry a thing of beauty to the woods and fields. Buy a Rigby if a Rigby is what makes your heart sing. Let others live in grey buildings in some soviet style self imposed ghetto. I won't let them make me feel guilty for having good taste...

@Shifty It is only worth it if you want it and the boss agrees then go for it.
If another brand of rifle will fulfil your needs with left over money you can hunt more game or do a second trip.
Either the 9.3x62 or the 375H&H will do fine.
I know I'm a mongrel giving you more choices but hey that's life.
Now if you had said a Rigby in 35 Rigby or 450 Rigby I would have said get the 350 but that just me.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dirk89B86

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?