Is $1700 fair for a Remington 798 375h&h

7MAG

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Found a 798 at a local pawn shop asking almost $1700 and thought I’d ask the professionals if this is a fair price. It has a laminated stock and comes with a nikon monarch but I won’t use that scope anyways

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 7.57.51 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 7.57.51 AM.png
    929.9 KB · Views: 52
People went weird during the pandemic. I lost track of prices 6 or 8 months ago but a friend tells me prices are dropping quickly for
used rifles. I checked on gunbroker and it does look like the market has softened.

That’s a $1200 rifle on its best day if it’s in excellent condition IMO…

Too much, especially for a plastic stock. Pay attention to the other members. $1200 would be more appropriate.

Found a 798 at a local pawn shop asking almost $1700 and thought I’d ask the professionals if this is a fair price. It has a laminated stock and comes with a nikon monarch but I won’t use that scope anyways
I would not pay that. I would pay under 1,000 just me

Pawn shops will often negotiate…

Any chance if you walked in and offered them $1k out the door that they’d take it?

Pawn shops will often negotiate…

Any chance if you walked in and offered them $1k out the door that they’d take it?
For some reason pawn shops in north texas will not negotiate, I’ve walked at quite a few. That isn’t a $600 scope and I may call and ask if they’ll take 1000 no scope

I have a 798 in 243 Win that i gave $400 for in September 2020 at a local north Texas pawn shop, so $1,700 for a 375 H&H seems stupid high to me. You can get a brand new Win Mod 70 Safari Express in 375 H&H for that same price, and I think walk away with a better rifle. My 798 is good, but it ain't nothing compared to my FN-BACO Model 70. And i suspect a 798 in 375 will need some tuning to be Safari ready, based upon my experience with my 798. Even at $1K, I'd probably look for a Whitworth Express.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVWClevela

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]