International hunting bug

D-Orcutt

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I’m at a unique position in life for someone my age. Single with no children in good shape with a little spending money to go on hunts. I have been to Mexico to waterfowl hunt as well as South Africa This past year. I have a hunt booked in the eastern cape in September and will most likely hunt Africa every year. My question is what other countries would you recommend to go on hunts in?

Check out Europe, particularly Italy. I hunted roe deer in Italy and Romania last year. Tons of options as to where, and quite a few styles (spot and stalk, from a blind, driven hunts, etc). Roe deer, Red deer, Chamois, wild boar, Fallow deer, muflon, etc...

I’m at a unique position in life for someone my age. Single with no children in good shape with a little spending money to go on hunts. I have been to Mexico to waterfowl hunt as well as South Africa This past year. I have a hunt booked in the eastern cape in September and will most likely hunt Africa every year. My question is what other countries would you recommend to go on hunts in?
If you have a hankering to do any sheep or goat hunts, do them first as a young body is needed for nearly all.

After that stay with Africa. Hunting amongst "civilization" will always be there. Hunting the wilds of Africa will likely come to an end sometime in this century due primarily to overpopulation. Besides, Africa will keep you busy for at least three or four decades. Why go anywhere else.

In Africa consider each of the following, hunting specifically for their signature animal:
Namibia for gemsbok
Zimbabwe lion
Mozambique buffalo
Zambia roan
Tanzania lesser kudu
Cameroun lde
And so on.

of course you take other gamw when you are there too.

Africa is Huge! You are already going to the same country twice...

If I were you I would go to west Africa, See the jungle. Stuff like that wont be around much longer sadly.
Game farms in SA will be the last type of hunting we are left with. I would go experience unique Africa while it is still available and you can make it happen. Just my opinion

Enjoy your journey and good hunting

What do you want to hunt and how much do you want to spend? Hunts that stand out in my mind:

Running our boat down the coast of Alaska hunting bear

Botswana for elephant

Brooks range sheep hunt

Driven pheasant in Scotland

Zambezi valley buffalo (Zim)

Upper Luangwa buffalo (Zim)

I’m pretty excited about red and roe deer in Romania this fall.

What you’ve done in RSA is a gateway drug. You’re in trouble and we can help!

Like you, I'm also single with no kids, so hunting is a passion for me, too. I've hunted Africa five times and will go back in a couple of years. I decided this year will be a water buffalo hunt in Australia. You should consider it.

Non helicopter Tahr hunt in New Zealand
Red Stag in Europe, lots of countries just depends on the experience wanted
Enjoyed a bird hunt in Uruguay, and I’m not a bird hunter in general

Also single and wish I had done more mountain hunting earlier as I’m getting older.

I also fish a bit and a multi species Amazon trip was a just fantastic experience.But have done a fishing trip of some sort on 6 continents, and hunted something on 5; so getting around a bit.

Is everywhere an answer? My favorite hunting anywhere in world is for roe deer in Europe during the rut. Poland has been my favorite. In Africa, I think you should do a tracking hunt. Eland on large properties in Namibia would be a great choice or buffalo in Zimbabwe. The most unique and wild area I’ve hunted in Africa has been Kaokoland in NW Namibia. This hunt would be primarily for the experience and you take what trophies you can get along the way.

Like @Throwback says, definitely consider Europe. I've loved hunting in England for roe, fallow, and muntjac. The rut for roe deer and fallow is a hoot. Calling in muntjac is really fun also.

In no particular order:
  • Spain for all four species of ibex.
  • Red deer/stag in Scotland
  • Roe in England, Poland, Romania, Italy etc.
  • Chamois in the Alps
  • Canada (either Alberta or Saskatchewan) for spring bear
  • Mule deer in Mexico
  • Buffalo, etc in Australia
  • New Zealand for tahr, chamois, and red deer
  • Argentina for big game (blackbuck, etc)
So many places, so little time and money!

What do you want to hunt and how much do you want to spend? Hunts that stand out in my mind:

Botswana for elephant

Brooks range sheep hunt

Crap, typo, the Luangwa is in Zambia.

Botswana for elephant

Brooks range sheep hunt

Unfortunately I still have a budget but 25k per year would be doable I went over that last year with taxidermy by a good deal but I would rather do 2 hunts per year vs 1 every 3 years

I had a spectacular time hunting sika in Ireland this past year...

and Argentina is always a wonderful Africa alternative... excellent birds of all types as well as excellent fishing.. and excellent big game opportunities..

Ive hunted in Africa 5 of the last 6 years (COVID kept us out 1 season).. and suspect we'll continue to hunt Africa annually or bi-annually for some time to come.. many more adventures await us there... While South Africa has largely been our focus (ease of getting in and out, cost, variety of game, and we've made some wonderful friends there that we love spending time with and seeing as often as we can).. We intend on hitting Zambia, Namibia, and possibly Botswana at some point in the reasonably near future as well..

I've had the fortune of being able to see a large part of the continent over the last 20+ years (work related).. and spent the majority of that time "in the field".. most of the countries Ive worked in I really dont have a whole lot of interest in hunting.... but the ones listed above are definitely on my personal short list..

I have not hunted internationally yet, but I am booked for South Africa in July. I am young and have many plans of hunting around the world and for as many species as possible. If I was in your position, I would hunt the animals that might not be accessible or have import bans in the coming years. Animals like the big 5, white lipped peccary, argalis, etc. Or hunt countries that are becoming stricter every year with gun and hunting laws, like Australia. (These examples are based on facts I have heard from here and there, I am not 100% sure if they are fully true but are just given as a jumping off point). That is my goal and I am going for a black giraffe in July because I am worried that antis will find a way to shut down the hunting of them before I get another opportunity.
But honestly any hunt that offers a new adventure would be worth doing.

I had a spectacular time hunting sika in Ireland this past year...

and Argentina is always a wonderful Africa alternative... excellent birds of all types as well as excellent fishing.. and excellent big game opportunities..

Ive hunted in Africa 5 of the last 6 years (COVID kept us out 1 season).. and suspect we'll continue to hunt Africa annually or bi-annually for some time to come.. many more adventures await us there... While South Africa has largely been our focus (ease of getting in and out, cost, variety of game, and we've made some wonderful friends there that we love spending time with and seeing as often as we can).. We intend on hitting Zambia, Namibia, and possibly Botswana at some point in the reasonably near future as well..

I've had the fortune of being able to see a large part of the continent over the last 20+ years (work related).. and spent the majority of that time "in the field".. most of the countries Ive worked in I really dont have a whole lot of interest in hunting.... but the ones listed above are definitely on my personal short list..
Do you import most of your trophy’s back from the hunts or leave them, that’s quite the list?

Do you import most of your trophy’s back from the hunts or leave them, that’s quite the list?
I know this question wasn’t directed at me. One benefit of Europe is you can bring cleaned deer skulls (at least roe deer) back with you on plane. Just declare them on entry. No fees. I’ve been told same about New Zealand.

Feel free to give me a shout we have some great, fairchase, truly wild and Epic safaris in the Niassa Special reserve!
My best, Jaco

Get yourself downunder and hunt water buff, banteng and pigs in what I can assure you is some of the most remote country in the world. You won’t have people wandering by your hunting area here

its a big big world and you can hunt in just about every one
so look and think about type of hunts, three days on horseback, or sleeping in a nice lodge
its about the experience and the people you may encounter
scotland is still one of my most memorable hunts, red stags are small, but scenery is unmatched!!!

so for me its about the experience and surroundings, not so much about the actual animal in the end

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamelMacCu

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?