Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA (Life), RMEF, DU, SCI
Hunted
Botswana
I've been looking at a second trip to Africa and have decided on a 375 Ruger caliber rifle, but have not narrowed to a specific mfr or model. Can you share info of your rifle like how you decided on your purchase, pros and cons, approximate price, did you buy new or used, etc? Also, scope choice and load info if you roll your own. Just really looking for input on 375 Ruger. Thanks in advance for the help.

I own a Left=handed Ruger M77 African in it that I purchased in 2011 barely used on Gunbroker (Interesting story of how little it was previously used, another time). Not exactly sure of the price anymore but it was under a grand with a low end scope I took off of it. I improved it with a laminate stock from Accurate Innovations and topped it a Leupold VX-2 1-4X 24 mm scope. Not the high end scope of many, but it has worked great.
Why? Well I'm left handed and Ruger wisely made the rifle with their new cartridge in it in lefty, to improve sales I'm sure. The cartridge was making it's mark and I felt it was a good move. I dropped my giraffe in 2013 with it and then in 2021 used it for buffalo and four species of plains game. No issues with the rifle on those hunts or on the range.
I have zero regrets owning it but Hornady and Ruger have made things difficult lately with ammo and brass availability. When I first got it ammo was spotty but brass was readily available, so I got into loading my own. Now it's the other way around. I don't use it much now, so my brass is holding up, but finding new is problematic. Hopefully Hornady and others will start producing more. I used Barnes TSX in 270 grain for my giraffe and for buffalo and others moved up to Peregrine Bushmaster in 300 grain. My load for the Peregrine is 75 grains of H414'with a COAL of 3.160 inches. I don't have the Barnes load around anymore, but Barnes has good data online.

About 10 years ago I bought a ruger guide gun in 375 ruger. Stainless, laminate. I liked that it had a removeable muzzle break and that spacers could be added to the stock to adjust for length of pull. I also like the 20 inch barrel. It balances well. It currently sports a leupold VX-R 2-7-33 firedot in QD rings (don't remember the brand). Haven't taken it to the dark continent yet but it groups well with hornady factory ammo which is all I've put through it to date.
I bought mine new through an online retailer at the time. Solid rifle that I'm hanging onto in hopes that one of my kids may use it should we be able to make the trip back over to Africa and go after something bigger next time.

Model - Ruger Alaskan

Decided on purchase - 9 months out from my safari, I had just shot my scout scope mount loose on my 35WAI Mauser. I decided to try Guns.com and see what they had. Having been reading Boddington daily to prep/learn for the safari, I was aware of his praise for the .375 Ruger, so that was what I searched for. Lo & behold, they had one with a VX3, 2.5-8x32, so I snagged it.

Pros - Overmold stock soaks up recoil, 20" barrel is great for moving in brush, stainless is durable, everything I hit with it dies, just the right balance of weight for recoil absorption and carrying ease

Cons - The bolt knob was too small for me (right handed, but hopelessly left-handed for shooting - all my muscle memory is using right-handed rifles as a southpaw - therefore, I milled off the tiny knob, threaded the remaining shaft, and installed a larger knob - now I can grab it securely under pressure with my right hand and cycle the bolt with no concern that I will spaz under pressure and miss the knob or short-stroke the action

Price - $650

New or used - It was listed as used, but the scope shot loose in the first 20 rounds, and the bolt was pristine/un-darkened from being cycled. I believe either: the prior owner died before he could shoot it and the wife liquidated it, or the prior owner shot it once and never touched it again.

Scope choice - I went on safari with a VX-5, 1-5x20 with CDS and firedot reticle. Have since been able to upgrade by buying a VX6, 1-6x24 with CDS & firedot from Tarbe308 here on AH. However, I love the rifle so much, I bought a 2nd one. It has the black finish, and I have not altered the bolt knob yet. It sports a VX5, 3-15x44 CDS and firedot. This one is to stretch the legs of the cartridge.

Load - Something like 79.3 gr of W760, 270 grain projos (Hornday for MO hunting, Barnes TSX for Africa) - I am upstairs finishing my first cup of coffee and did not run to the basement to confirm the powder charge, so be cautious.

I am up to about 700 cases, so can use these rifles "for a while". However, Hornady has burned their "New, greatest, hottest cartridge since sliced bread" bridge with me. I will never buy into another new "wonder cartridge". The "we can't catch up with demand because of the scamdemic" is total BS. They only make their loaded ammo now and have just basically said F U to the reloaders. I will keep buying an occasional box or two of ammo to keep growing my casing herd. I LOVE the cartridge and rifle - VERY soured by Hornady's "production difficulties".

My safari write-up is here on AH if you wish to see the data points regarding how the rifle/cartridge fared against the critters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaylaHorst

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with