Info on hunting ZA, Botswana, Namibia + Hippo dilema

archeryblackdog

AH member
Reaction score
Hello everyone; I been to Africa a few times, Ned had the need of taking more than 02 rifles ( a medium bore such as a .375 H&H and a plains game caliber such as 300 WM or a 338 WM).

Last year while hunting on ZA I removed that at the Johannesburg airport guns section I read somewhere that up to 03 rifles where permitted by hunter as long as they where of different calibers.

In less than 20 days I’ll be arriving to Johannesburg; I’ll sleep over night and the following day I’ll be taking a plane for Kasane in Botswana to travel to Namibia and hunt elephant a double Rifle of the .470 NE will be the tool of choice) I am also to hunt Hippopotamus in Namibia’s caprivi. And thhen going back to South Africa for Lioness, Hyena, Crocodile and plains game.,

Then for all else double rifle in 338 H&H, lioness, crocodile, and cape buff and for plains game a bolt action rifle in 338 WM.

So as you can see I am already with 03 rifles for of different e calibers.

A) The 1st issue is that in order to shoo a hippopotamus in the river, un less I am mistaken a brain shoot will be required from a distance of about 100 plus yards (beyond the optimal range of a double rifle) so a bolt action rifle would be the smart choice but the bolt action I am taking is a .338 WM with Norma 230 grain Oryx ammo. Do you think that the .338 with 230 grain Norma Oryx will do the job for a brain shoot in the water from 100 plus yards?

B) Researching South Africa gun regulations I just reed that only 02 rifles are permitted; is this true? If so what would I do? Because the double in .470 NE going for the Elephant, should my additional rifle be double in .375 H&H without a bolt action that hippopotamus shot willl be difficult. And I just refuse the idea to just use the double for elephant and do the rest of the safari with a bolt action either on .338 WM or 375H&H ; I love doubles I own a few an the only place to use them in Africa.

To make a long story short; the base questions:

1.- how many rifles of different calibers can I take to South Africa and then to Botswana and back to South Africa for plains game???

2.- what do you all think about .338 WM to brain shot a hippopotamus in the river in Namibia ??

Your opinion is appreciated!!!

I would say use the 470 NE for the elephant, and the 375 H&H for everything else. No need for three different rifles and calibers.

I would say use the 470 NE for the elephant, and the 375 H&H for everything else. No need for three different rifles and calibers.
So 02 Double Rifles, one in .470 NE and one in .375 to take even long shots? Or to take a brain shoot on a hippopotamus in a River??

Oh my bad, I failed to read that the 375 was also a double, I thought it was a bolt action rifle. My bad.

The shot on hippo in water will be less than 100 yards, likely around 50. Ask your outfitter, but your 338 is fine. I’d recommend you contact a service like @riflepermits.com and arrange a pre-approved rifle permit for your rifles then there are no questions to worry about in South Africa. It’s $150. I’d ask the outfitter about Namibia and Botswana regulations with 3 rifles.

Are your outfitters arranging firearms permits in each country? I would take one double rifle and one bolt rifle.

Are your outfitters arranging firearms permits in each country? I would take one double rifle and one bolt rifle.
I don’t know about the firearm permit in Botswana, but Namibia’s permit is issued on arrival. It’s really easy just invitation letter from outfitter, one page application form and proof of ownership in home country (US 4457) possibly copy of passport and itinerary if they ask. It’s issued in 5 minutes.

The shot on hippo in water will be less than 100 yards, likely around 50. Ask your outfitter, but your 338 is fine. I’d recommend you contact a service like @riflepermits.com and arrange a pre-approved rifle permit for your rifles then there are no questions to worry about in South Africa. It’s $150. I’d ask the outfitter about Namibia and Botswana regulations with 3 rifles.
Sure hope so, at 50 meters my double is pretty accurate but at 100 barrels cross so I would have to guesstimate; something I wish I did not have to do in a river……. I will get in contact with rifle permits . Com tomorrow to hire their service, tank you for the advice!!!!

nop, not to the best of my knowledge they have not even ask what rifles I am taking. I know the smart thing is to take thw .470NE for Elephant and a Bolt Action in .375 but can’t imagine going to Africa and using a
Double rifle only for 1 animal the elephant and all else with bolt. I have a number of doubles that I can only use in Africa but then again we know some shoots new a bolt action…. If I could take 03 rifles …..

Talk to your outfitter and see if it is possible to hunt your hippo on land. If that is an option, your double rifle would be well suited to that chore and it is an awesome, exciting hunt for sure. Just a thought.

nop, not to the best of my knowledge they have not even ask what rifles I am taking. I know the smart thing is to take thw .470NE for Elephant and a Bolt Action in .375 but can’t imagine going to Africa and using a
Double rifle only for 1 animal the elephant and all else with bolt. I have a number of doubles that I can only use in Africa but then again we know some shoots new a bolt action…. If I could take 03 rifles …..
Botswana requires a firearm permit and outfitter needs your rifle details in advance so you better get in touch with him quick.

Also, if you’re going to drive back and forth across borders, you will need gun permits with you.

Nothing wrong with a 338 WM for Hippo brain shot with expanding bullet.....

I would however be very concerned about the lack of paperwork and knowledge regarding rifles to Botswana......that needs to be sorted out asap......

Botswana requires a firearm permit and outfitter needs your rifle details in advance so you better get in touch with him quick.

Also, if you’re going to drive back and forth across borders, you will need gun permits with you.
Outfitter in Namibia has not requested any information about guns; I am in Spain which puts me in an awkward situation must Spaniards have difficult time with English, so they hire what is call a coordinator, which has the contact and connection with outfitters worldwide including Africa, he is in charge of representing the Spanish hunter, he even comes along on the trip as an observer to make sure everything goes smoothly but I I don’t recon mine knows about those requirements; am I know he was hunting elephant last year in the same Namibia but I know his customer the Spanish customer had a rental rifle from Namibia ; I don’t hunt with rental rifles.

The other problem I see is that if you are transitting throught RSA to Botswana to Namibia then Botswana will only allow 2 rifles......not 3 which you could have taken if you went directly to Botswana....unless that has changed but I think not......

You best get your rifle permits etc. Sorted out ASAP to avoid issues......

Outfitter in Namibia has not requested any information about guns; I am in Spain which puts me in an awkward situation must Spaniards have difficult time with English, so they hire what is call a coordinator, which has the contact and connection with outfitters worldwide including Africa, he is in charge of representing the Spanish hunter, he even comes along on the trip as an observer to make sure everything goes smoothly but I I don’t recon mine knows about those requirements; am I know he was hunting elephant last year in the same Namibia but I know his customer the Spanish customer had a rental rifle from Namibia ; I don’t hunt with rental rifles.
Find anither coordinater.....

Nothing wrong with a 338 WM for Hippo brain shot with expanding bullet.....

I would however be very concerned about the lack of paperwork and knowledge regarding rifles to Botswana......that needs to be sorted out asap......
Thank you for the opinion on the hippopotamus! Know I am very concerned about this lack of info. The story is the hunting will happen as follows:

A) arrival to Johannesburg South Africa.
B) clear rifles and spend the night over in Johannesburg.
C) following day departure by plane to Kasane in Botswana.
D) from that point I guess the Namibia outfitter I guess will pick us up for elephant and hippo hunting in Namibia
E) flight back from Kasane in Botswana to Johannesburg in South Africa.
F) hunt in Limpopo province and then travel back from Johannesburg to Spain via Paris

I guess I will have to have a serious talk with mine tomor
The other problem I see is that if you are transitting throught RSA to Botswana to Namibia then Botswana will only allow 2 rifles......not 3 which you could have taken if you went directly to Botswana....unless that has changed but I think not......

You best get your rifle permits etc. Sorted out ASAP to avoid issues......
so in order to enter rifles I Botswana can I apply for the permit directly in the airport in Kasane or is this something that has to be done prior to my arrival ? Can it be done online or can I hire a service to do it for me? Any more information will be very useful!!!!

so in order to enter rifles I Botswana can I apply for the permit directly in the airport in Kasane? or is this something that has to be done prior to my arrival ? Can it be done online or can I hire a service to do it for me? Any more information will be very useful!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasChilde

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?