In memoriam - Professional Hunter Greg Michelson killed by Buffalo

Easier to say or “claim” then actually do. Of the few that might “claim” they are ready/willing to “stand fast” & perhaps die while hunting DG — maybe 1% really would and unless they have faced that situation before and “stood fast” they don’t really know. We’d all like to think we would “stand fast” but very few can demonstrate they did. I do believe that most accept there is a “risk” of death …My goal when hunting - is for all to return alive & well
100%

I hope I never have to find out. I just know I will do everything possible to make sure my PH, Trackers and I are never in that situation.

But like WAB said..."Shit happens".

Last edited:
Greg Michelson Incident Report 2024 for PGOAZ-1.jpg

Attachments

The client is why I can’t stand most people.

Tired is no excuse when lives are on the line. This PH lost his life doing his job when the client failed to do his. His job was to make a good shot but things happen and I don’t condemn someone for a bad shot. Shoot long enough and you’ll make one too.

My condemnation comes from leaving the PH. I can understand if the PH didn’t want the client there because of poor gun handling, marksmanship, or a variety of other factors but that doesn’t appear to be the case here seeing as how both the client and the observer went with the tracking party.

If you are allowed to go after your animal, since you wounded it, you have a duty and an obligation to see the endeavor through to the end no matter the outcome. Being tired is a piss poor excuse.

Maybe I’m too old fashioned but that’s how I was raised. Likely the client thought he’d just shoot his quarry, pose for a photo, and then everyone else would do the grunt work. I’m not like that. If you’re sweating I’m sweating too.

To me the hunt doesn’t end when the animal is down. That’s when the work is just beginning and to me it’s a big part of the hunting process.

The client is why I can’t stand most people.

Tired is no excuse when lives are on the line. This PH lost his life doing his job when the client failed to do his. His job was to make a good shot but things happen and I don’t condemn someone for a bad shot. Shoot long enough and you’ll make one too.

My condemnation comes from leaving the PH. I can understand if the PH didn’t want the client there because of poor gun handling, marksmanship, or a variety of other factors but that doesn’t appear to be the case here seeing as how both the client and the observer went with the tracking party.

If you are allowed to go after your animal, since you wounded it, you have a duty and an obligation to see the endeavor through to the end no matter the outcome. Being tired is a piss poor excuse.

Maybe I’m too old fashioned but that’s how I was raised. Likely the client thought he’d just shoot his quarry, pose for a photo, and then everyone else would do the grunt work. I’m not like that. If you’re sweating I’m sweating too.

To me the hunt doesn’t end when the animal is down. That’s when the work is just beginning and to me it’s a big part of the hunting process.
I guess it was better to have one fatality instead of two. No sense in the client killing himself if he's not up to it. At least he gave up his gun to someone who was capable of continuing the task. If I had been the PH I'd have given him a choice: go back to the truck without your gun or stay on the tracks. Frankly, I would have been more confident in my staff doing the job in a crisis than most clients I don't know. I'm sure Mr. Michelson was fully confident in his support staff to take the client's gun and back him up. The bull just bushwacked them. Whoever was on the end of the line was going to get it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarmaColvi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa