Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
What do you do inbetween hunts? For some that can be many months, maybe years, for others just weeks, but still that time needs to be filled with thoughts and acts that keep us keen and happy. We all have the capacity for the virtual, casting the mind off across the savanna, or up a kopje where the giant kudu hide, but to really get the images vivid the fingers must tap. Enter our AH world where articles stir the juices from technical tid bits to hunt reports, to oogling over some member's newly acquired masterpiece.
So in part this rambling is to give you the forum to express what fills your inbetween months and what makes the experience all the richer when you get there. And in part a statement of appreciation for AH and for all of you with whom I can share dreams, bounce ideas off and learn from.

Great thread idea Kevin.

I hunt once or twice a year and spend my down time on birding trips to the Kruger National Park (I only live an hour away).

I also take part in our monthly CHASA shoots and every competition I can. Not only do I love shooting but competitive shooting sharpens the skills when I reach the bush.

Not long though, on the 8th of May I will be carrying my .375 in pursuit of Kudu and Wildebeest!

When im not hunting. I'm thinking of hunting. It's 5:30 in the morning here and im planning out hunts. I like to get my gear prepped and organized. Upgrade things. Practice long range shooting, archery. YouTube has a ton of free hunts to watch in the background. Do some shotgun clays a few times a month to stay sharp.

Thinking about guns and hunting in general and African hunting in particular...reading..take care of dogs...do some skiing...buy and trade rifles..practice shooting..

Stay in shape! Outside of work and family time, I try to exercise 5-6 days a week. It is a year round commitment to be in good health and good shape for the efforts of a good hunt.
That is the same with archery and rifles, more practice equals better shooting.

Ag and habitat development on our farm, shooting, fishing, camping, planning hunts and just enjoying life.

Ah Kevin. Like always a great thread from you to start. Me and a buddy go to his farm once a month and take with a arsenal from .22 long up to 375 H&H including 357 Mag and shotgun and keep our trigger fingers trained. Pitching up tents, Kalahari TV(no electricity on the farm) driving on the Farm and watching game in the summer is awesome. No hunting can be done in the summer time.

Reading the Blaser threads and learning about all the options that Blaser offers and some options that Blaser did not know they could do.:A Blink:

In between actual hunting? Spending time on AH and other shooting forums, two or three days a week at the gun ranges shooting paper and/or steel, and selling, or buying and trying different gun related items. I'm always planning my next trip afield whether it be local or distant. As far as actual hunting, it's a year round endeavor, either deer in the fall and winter or varmints during the spring and summer months.

Drinking
Fishing
Scouting new areas to hunt
Running my other business
Spending time with family
Attending wrestling practice and compos with son
Vegetable and orchard planting etc.
Making food, we eat outside 6 days a week, braai pizza or potjies.
Reloading and cleaning guns.

I also take college students out on game drives and walks to gain practical experience on tracks, animals, grasses , trees etc. They also need to do the catering on these trips

I work nearly every day saving for the next trip. Planning and reading after work. When I have enough saved off I go.
My children live close so I see them and my grandchildren nearly every day also.
Leaving for a Texas axis hunt tomorrow.
Taking my grandson to Texas for red fish in June. Also in June bowfishing carp near Denver with my son and grandson.

Although I've yet to get there supposedly last December now August due to this poxy disease.I stalk deer at home here in England at least once a week if I can with the odd vermin thrown in also.If I'm not playing with my rifle ill be found with the shotgun either vermin bashing game shooting and clays.This weekend im hoping for a wild boar.

Ah Kevin. Like always a great thread from you to start. Me and a buddy go to his farm once a month and take with a arsenal from .22 long up to 375 H&H including 357 Mag and shotgun and keep our trigger fingers trained. Pitching up tents, Kalahari TV(no electricity on the farm) driving on the Farm and watching game in the summer is awesome. No hunting can be done in the summer time.
Sounds wonderful Jorg!

Drinking
Fishing
Scouting new areas to hunt
Running my other business
Spending time with family
Attending wrestling practice and compos with son
Vegetable and orchard planting etc.
Making food, we eat outside 6 days a week, braai pizza or potjies.
Reloading and cleaning guns.
As a PH, kindly share your best, tried and tested Potjie recipe;)...

When I can, I enjoy cooking up a wholesome, hearty oxtail Potjie myself.

I am always thinking about hunting. And the older I get, the more that holds true. I am lucky enough to hunt more than some, but not as much as many of you, and certainly not as much as I'd like. I used to also give my time to fishing and trapping. I have done less of those in recent years, though thanks to a couple of New Year’s resolutions I made an effort to put in time for each of those. I am not sure why I got away from them, but as I have aged, hunting has overtaken more of my calendar.

Typical year… January: maybe some small game (ptarmigan/hares) though it’s a busy time at work and short daylight hours. February-March: caribou hunting, small game, trapping. April-May: often prepping for spring bear and then bear hunting in May. Also, spring waterfowl season. June-early August: planning for fall moose and bear. August 20-end of September: fall moose and bear, as often as I can get away. October: sometimes early beaver trapping, grouse hunting. November: a bit of a break, as far as actual excursions. December; winter moose.

The last two years have seen alterations. The caribou herd has dropped; hunting has been closed. My last caribou was March of 2020. And this year I’m headed for Africa for the first time, so no spring bear hunt.

When I am not actually hunting: practice at the range, archery, time at the reload bench, writing, art, building my cabin, planning stuff for my cabin, working on my guns, a bit of taxidermy on the side – mostly fish and antler mounts, things outdoors with my kids. All of my stuff ties back to hunting in some way. Photos: bear hunting the coast, my last caribou last year, a rainbow I painted up.

IMG_2867.jpg
91203103_10222675178127569_1236286403210379264_n.jpg
rainbow.jpg
IMG_3383.JPG
IMG_4644.JPG
IMG_5682.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
South Africa... Game 4 Africa... Grahamstown I believe is what they list for address. Package deal for zebra, blue wildebeest, blesbok, impala, and kudu, with an add-on of cow buff. I have been wanting to go since college. Life threw me curveballs along the way, but it's finally happening. I am so freaking excited.

South Africa... Game 4 Africa... Grahamstown I believe is what they list for address. Package deal for zebra, blue wildebeest, blesbok, impala, and kudu, with an add-on of cow buff. I have been wanting to go since college. Life threw me curveballs along the way, but it's finally happening. I am so freaking excited.
Gosh, what a wonderful experience to look forward to. Beware of those lady buff, they are apparently just as tough as the boys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blaubeerchen44

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg