If you’ve gifted knives to your trackers/skinners…

Junglechicklet

Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI Life Member, NRA Life Member, SCI Chapter (Charter) Member, DU, CDA, RMEF, CEA, etc.
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Mexico, USA
What types of knives have you given? Do we assume skinners would want skinning knives, etc? Tactical or classic buck style?
All ideas welcome! Thanks~

Reality is, most are sold. Cash is king.
Brod, you are correct about being sold unless. When a tracker, ranger,
Cook, etc. comes to work for me they are issued a “kit”. This will vary a little from man to man. It will consist of everything that he needs to do his job anything else is just excess. One thing they all receive is a leatherman. If they loose any of their kit it will be replaced immediately at their expense. Normal wear and tear & accident excepted. I have one man who has been with me for 20 years still has his leatherman. A second general purpose or skinner is given.

I have seen various gifts given, usually never to be seen again, most knives like a Mora the wife appreciates very much. Anything solar rechargeable is needed and appreciated.

As mentioned above they will be sold. Gift them some cigarettes (only met 1 of 12 that doesn’t smoke) if you want to give them something in addition to cash. I did buy a few olive green Duluth fire hose jackets when they were on sale. They wore those and they didn’t get sold but they really needed them - I asked the PH what they could use besides cash.

I gifted this custom Von Gruff EDC to the Outfitter....

Camel bone scales and buffalo horn bolster with the AH logo etched....

As far as the PH, trackers and skinners knives are cool and all, but cash is still king....

56DCC7AD-56EF-41A0-A310-342E4D181300.jpeg

I gave my Leatherman tool in addition to cash tip to one of our two trackers this year. The other "only" got cash, but he's a bit older and has few more things in his kit from what i could tell.

We shot two Buffalo on an island in the Save river and had to skin and quarter them there to porter them back. My buddy and I loaned the skinners our Opinel Carbones, razor sharp. They wouldn't give them back, so now they are our standard gift item and hugely appreciated. If we know who they are going to we engrave their name on the wood. In the past year I have given away fifteen. Note Carbones only, the stainless ones are not as good.

I asked the outfiter and he told me to bring sharp knives for the staff.

So I got 5 pices of Mora knives and 5 sharpeners as a little first present.

Most helpful -- thank you!!
These are in addition to cash =D

Actually when I’m down the Taxidermy/Skinning shed the boys knives are always blunt so i personally gave them a bunch of sharpening stones, near lasted the whole season !

I brought 10 of these to camp for gifts to trackers and skinners. This was a gift as I also tipped cash and the end of my Safari.

Image1722772141.681720.jpg

HH

I bring several of these. They are about $10 on Amazon along with a pull through sharpener for another $10-15.

1722773504611.png

Moras are good gifts, on my second safari, I was hunting with the same PH tracker team, brought the tracker a mil-issue warm camo jacket. He loved it !

Never taken a knife to give as a tip. But over the years have given a few, in addition to cash, and they turned out to be pretty good gifts.
When those replaceable razor knives first came out the skinner/tracker was really taken with mine, so I gave it to him.
Year before last, skinner/tracker lost his while gutting an animal in the field. It had been given to him by a previous hunter. I had the identical knife with me (nothing fancy, a Gerber), and gave him mine. From his response, I think it was the best gift I ever gave in Africa.
I always carry a little Swiss Army knife with me. Everywhere. Mainly for the toothpick it seems. Those smallest ones with scissors and tweezers. Trackers this year took a liking to it. It t actually came in handy several times. Gave both trackers one at end of trip (because I always have a spare). They actually both acted like they appreciated them more than the money, and it was not a small amount.
I think the knives were good gifts in all 3 instances, but I think it had as much to do with the circumstances (or uniqueness in 1 case) and not just the giving of a knife.

Hunted in the east cape and was impressed with the quality knives, sharpeners, coats boots and warm gear they had been given by the ph. It spoke volumns abiut the ph and the loyalty shown by the crew. Tokolosh seems to have the same qualities.
Other places certainly different.
I wonder if it wouldn’t be a better idea to have a conversation with the ph and see what specifically the team would love to have. I know one of the trackers I hunted with loves the Yankees while others just wanted cigarettes-

This is a tough call
I don’t think All countries or camps are equal
My buddy and His wife were both disturbed by how badly the PH’s treated the camp staff and tracking team in Zimbabwe and gifted cash , clothing, cigarettes and some tungsten knife sharpener,
I bet RSA & Namibia staff get treated better than, Mozambican & Zimbabwean ( I don’t know?)
Mexico cigarettes, caps, cash , cattle ropping rope's , dental supplies are always coveted

Moraknifv, opinal, Dexter carbon steel knives top stainless steel as gifts imo

Last edited:
What types of knives have you given? Do we assume skinners would want skinning knives, etc? Tactical or classic buck style?
All ideas welcome! Thanks~
Generally, knives have no particular meaning to trackers or skimmers in Africa. I've seen them use old kitchen knives if that is what was handy. Nice knives, such as we would appreciate, are sold or traded. Really, the only gift they are really happy with is cash.

I never give gifts instead of cash. Everyone gets cash, BUT the guys also get gifts such as some have described here.

On my hunt in the Selous last August, I got the shoe sizes for my trackers and driver and brought each of them new Converse All Stars, which are their preferred shoes, as well as a 4-pack for each of Cabelas hiking socks. Those shoes were the most appreciated gifts I’ve ever given. Your trackers walk a lot of miles, it just makes good sense to be sure they have well fitting good shoes to hunt in. I’ve hunted with that crew a couple times before and will again, so I know what I’ll be taking them next time I see them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaverneSun

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available