If you’ve gifted knives to your trackers/skinners…

Junglechicklet

Reaction score
Media
What types of knives have you given? Do we assume skinners would want skinning knives, etc? Tactical or classic buck style?
All ideas welcome! Thanks~

Reality is, most are sold. Cash is king.
Brod, you are correct about being sold unless. When a tracker, ranger,
Cook, etc. comes to work for me they are issued a “kit”. This will vary a little from man to man. It will consist of everything that he needs to do his job anything else is just excess. One thing they all receive is a leatherman. If they loose any of their kit it will be replaced immediately at their expense. Normal wear and tear & accident excepted. I have one man who has been with me for 20 years still has his leatherman. A second general purpose or skinner is given.

I have seen various gifts given, usually never to be seen again, most knives like a Mora the wife appreciates very much. Anything solar rechargeable is needed and appreciated.

As mentioned above they will be sold. Gift them some cigarettes (only met 1 of 12 that doesn’t smoke) if you want to give them something in addition to cash. I did buy a few olive green Duluth fire hose jackets when they were on sale. They wore those and they didn’t get sold but they really needed them - I asked the PH what they could use besides cash.

I gifted this custom Von Gruff EDC to the Outfitter....

Camel bone scales and buffalo horn bolster with the AH logo etched....

As far as the PH, trackers and skinners knives are cool and all, but cash is still king....

56DCC7AD-56EF-41A0-A310-342E4D181300.jpeg

I gave my Leatherman tool in addition to cash tip to one of our two trackers this year. The other "only" got cash, but he's a bit older and has few more things in his kit from what i could tell.

We shot two Buffalo on an island in the Save river and had to skin and quarter them there to porter them back. My buddy and I loaned the skinners our Opinel Carbones, razor sharp. They wouldn't give them back, so now they are our standard gift item and hugely appreciated. If we know who they are going to we engrave their name on the wood. In the past year I have given away fifteen. Note Carbones only, the stainless ones are not as good.

I asked the outfiter and he told me to bring sharp knives for the staff.

So I got 5 pices of Mora knives and 5 sharpeners as a little first present.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TimKayaw

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available