Identify what mount will fit my sporterized The Remington 1903 03 A3

fletchersc

Reaction score
I bought a Remington 1903 03 A3, and I can see it had a scope mount, but I do not know what kind will fit. Teh three holes on the left have been tapped, there is an additional part added where the rear mount should be, it has a whole. I believe I see where a ring might have been where the barrel comes into the chamber,( sorry if that is the wrong way to describe that). What mount system will fit this?

Attachments

• IMG_4910.JPEG
    IMG_4910.JPEG
    685.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4911.JPEG
    IMG_4911.JPEG
    556.7 KB · Views: 7
Looks like a side mount contraption to mount a scope forward that will clear the military bolt handle. I would have a gunsmith plug the holes with flush screws, have the bolt handle modified, safety changed for scope relief, and receiver tapped for "normal" top mount base and rings. Sounds complicated but it's not. Is this gun still in military configuration (hand guard stock, etc.?). If it is, then it's possible the side mount was for military sniper scope. Look down the muzzle and count the rifling lands. If there's three, that would definitely be a sniper model. Four lands = standard pre-WWII or early WWII. Two lands = late WWII.

When tapping for standard top mount bases, keep in mind that the dovetail on rear of receiver for rear military sight was not very uniform in height. Didn't need to be as rear sights were fully adjustable and manufacture was rushed. But top mount sporting bases/rails will utilize that dovetail. Make sure the base is not mounted too high on the dovetail or you may/will run out of elevation adjustment on the scope. May need to file down the top of the dovetail to lower the rear base or back end of rail. Other option would be to shim the front base or front of rail but in my opinion that is much less desirable.

You have a very fine rifle. In my opinion the 03A3 is much superior to the 98 Mauser. The action is MUCH smoother cycling than 98 Mauser ... and 98 is very smooth. Both actions do the last bit of cocking on closing but the Springfield does not lift the striker nearly as far as Mauser. Consequently, the Springfield bolt almost jumps close at end of cycle. Springfield will always snap over on a cartridge dropped in the chamber but some Mausers need to have extractor modified to do this (I would still recommend loading from magazine if at all possible). The 03A3 is every bit as strong as 98 Mauser (both have three bolt locking lugs) but seldom used for thumper gun builds. Not sure why. It would seem the action is long enough. Perhaps the bolt face is not wide enough? Anyway, 30-06 is a tough cartridge to beat as is. You could invest $200 (max) in upgrading this gun and make yourself a real treasure. Mine has been killing stuff for me since 1964.
in the case.jpg

20231121_113037.jpg

20230817_090946.jpg

20220827_130148.jpg

1980 bull.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AbdulGepp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better