I want a new rifle but I don’t know what to get

it’s early. But I am so damn excited
I just bought my first 375. I found what I wanted.
Waiting on ffl and shipping now.
But here are a few pics. Pre64 with a Leupold scope.
It’s prettier than what normally get to hunt with. I am a stainless / synthetic guy. But y’all are a bad influence
Congratulations, you picked a quality rifle and a beautiful example too. Enjoy!

Bob,
Have you seen ANY Winchester Model 71 .348s available in OZ? There must be some there somewhere. Just curious.
CEH
@CoElkHunter
Have seen one in my life time. My gunsmith has never seen one. They must be out there as brass and loaded ammo are available for it.
Bob

I saw this post and figured I had to reply, and then I saw you did the proper thing. Beautiful rifle, and it will fit right in in Africa. For the life of me, I cant understand spending tens of thousands of dollars going on a hunt in Africa, and then taking a cheap looking plastic and stainless gun. Or so ever go hunting in Alaska and need a big bore, it will be a Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger. If will be the ugliest thing you’ll ever lay eyes on, and I can dip it in the salt in not care. But Alaska calls for a rifle like that, just as Africa calls for a rifle like you just purchased. Nice find.

I saw this post and figured I had to reply, and then I saw you did the proper thing. Beautiful rifle, and it will fit right in in Africa. For the life of me, I cant understand spending tens of thousands of dollars going on a hunt in Africa, and then taking a cheap looking plastic and stainless gun. Or so ever go hunting in Alaska and need a big bore, it will be a Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger. If will be the ugliest thing you’ll ever lay eyes on, and I can dip it in the salt in not care. But Alaska calls for a rifle like that, just as Africa calls for a rifle like you just purchased. Nice find.
@Jetjockey
I took a cheap looking plastic gun with a stainless barrel to Namibia and had a ball. Being a Savage it's ugly to go with it.
But man that ugly rifle sure is accurate and in 35 Whelen it knocked the snot out of everything I shot.
Plus the cost of the rifle allowed me to shoot more animals. What's not to love.
20200201_135545.jpg

My ugly, plastic and stainless Whelen that cost me 1,100 dollars Australian.
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
@Philip Glass
and there a 3rd group me that has found what works for them and are content with what they have even if they are a bit odd. My 3 main rifles cover all the bases of what I will ever shoot.
Bob
Of course I am being facetious because like everyone else I can’t resist a new gun from time to time!

I do not see the hype on a R8, not for what they cost.
I know. I didn’t either and thought they were just a weird Euro gun. Then I handled them at SCI and got in touch with a dealer and the rest is history.
Well there was one more story along the way: at ATL on return from the leopard charge hunt I was relating my story to a famous hunter and how my Ruger jammed. Without skipping beat he said “that is why I shoot a Blaser”. They don’t jam.
Actually the Pro S will be cheaper than most of the “custom” guns my friends are buying.
Folks, to each his own.

Firearms are an oddity, they are tools for sure, but some of them can be much more than that. My Dad and Grandfather's deer rifles and shotguns will always mean much more to me than "just a tool". Several others I have fall into this category as well. Personally I never got attached emotionally to a chainsaw or a hammer, but maybe some people do. I think certain cars can have this effect on us as well.

it’s early. But I am so damn excited
I just bought my first 375. I found what I wanted.
Waiting on ffl and shipping now.
But here are a few pics. Pre64 with a Leupold scope.
It’s prettier than what normally get to hunt with. I am a stainless / synthetic guy. But y’all are a bad influence

View attachment 579860View attachment 579861View attachment 579862
What's the scope picture like? That stock seems to have a lot of drop. Very pretty rifle.

What's the scope picture like? That stock seems to have a lot of drop. Very pretty rifle.
It’s in the mail.
From the Leupolds I currently have. Even ones of that vintage. The scopes have always been clear.
I can alway add a lace on type cheek riser if needed.
I will give a full review and new pictures once it’s in hand.
I do want to put the factory rear sight back on it. They probably took it off because they could see it in the scope. But I like back up irons. If the scope goes bad on a hunt I have no issues with 100-200 yard shots with irons.

Got my 375hh 1958 m70 Leupold vx3 1.5-5 scope on Leupold mounts
Shot it 6 times. Recoil is surprisingly soft. Decent group off hand on a steel plate.
I am happy with it.
16B02500-5826-4C67-8817-03C736765C88.jpeg
BEB15091-D0EF-4888-9ED1-95C6F429637C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my 375hh 1958 m70 Leupold vx3 1.5-5 scope on Leupold mounts
Shot it 6 times. Recoil is surprisingly soft. Decent group off hand on a steel plate.
I am happy with it.
View attachment 580945
Did it come engraved like that? Any idea who made that stock? Was it missing the rear iron sights?

Did it come engraved like that? Any idea who made that stock? Was it missing the rear iron sights?
The rear iron site is missing with two factory appearing plugs in the holes. I am going to try to find a replacement original.
The rifles history is a mystery.
The engraving is well done as is the stock.
Trigger is really nice. Crisp break.
If someone could point me to a m70 guru I would appreciate it.

The rear iron site is missing with two factory appearing plugs in the holes. I am going to try to find a replacement original.
Good luck on an original rear sight for a Pre64 375 … I’ve been looking for the better part of 5 years for one that doesn’t cost as much as the scope and rings you just installed. I found one last year for $450

@BnC 04 is quite the Win M70 aficionado and may have some ideas for you.

Buy a Blaser R8, and you will float over the abysses of american firearms for the rest of your life....

HWL
Too late. The mighty Mauser claw extractor already has a hold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLKKendra

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with