I want a new rifle but I don’t know what to get

What’s your budget?

@Mark Biggerstaff had a Ruger in .375 Ruger I know he’d make a deal on.

Personally I’m an Pre64 M70 guy for a 375 but will definitely grab at least 1 M70 the next time Winchester does a run of 375 Super Grades

Ok. Grab the pop corn.
I want a Africa cape buffalo rifle. I am pretty sure I want a M70 in 375hh.
But dang the rugers are a deal.
The rifle may end up in a boat in alaska or in a scabbard on a horse at some point.
So should I get stainless and synthetic stock?
I don’t know which way to go. Went to a gun show today hoping to put my hands on both.
Nothing there. No winchesters or rugers.
Gimme some ideas
@62flint - There has been lots of good advice here with a very strong consensus towards the M70 (which would be a superb choice), but don't discount a CZ 550 in 375 H&H, especially if you can find one that has been worked over by AHR or Matrix - I promise you won't be disappointed!

It sounds like we envision similar hunts in our futures. I came down to the same few models mentioned but had slim pickings when I was trying to get my hands on them for comparison. I grew up hunting in salt and rain environments of the Pacific Northwest, so I have an appreciation for good synthetic and stainless combo, but in the end went with a traditional wood/blued Model 70 SE 375H&H. It has really grown on me. I figure I can always buy a synthetic stock or just refinish the stock if I tear it up too much. I just keep them well oiled and waxed, and haven't found any issues in years. As much as I have come to love my mod 70, I am not sure you can go wrong with any of the models your considering.

Come to DSC or SCI and handle some of them. I'll be there!

Don’t forget Browning’s X-bolt in 375 H&H. The stalker model is stainless and synthetic.

If you don't need open sights (which you probably won't), this would be my current choice.

What’s your budget?

@Mark Biggerstaff had a Ruger in .375 Ruger I know he’d make a deal on.

Personally I’m an Pre64 M70 guy for a 375 but will definitely grab at least 1 M70 the next time Winchester does a run of 375 Super Grades
I agree, if you're going to do it, do it right and get a pre64 model 70 in 375 h&h. Mine is one of the favorites in the safe. And there is something very cool and nostalgic about carrying a 60+ year old gun in the woods/bush. I too plan on buying a new edition model 70 super grade at some point, probably in 6.5 creedmore for my son for deer hunting. But for me, I'll keep adding to my pre 64s.

A double, absolutely no doubt about it. Life is to be lived well, and you only get one go. By all means get one with telescopic sights fitted if you plan to also shoot further, doubles sighted to the one barrel can be very accurate. There is nothing like a 375 double.

SS if it’s black or coated. I’ve never understood shiny being good for hunting. But that’s just me.

Here's three generations of Browning A-bolts...from left to right, my dad's, my son's and mine. I got my son the walnut and stainless rifle for his 13th Christmas, gave it to him in mid-November, and he killed an 8-point with it less than 12 hours later. The point is that brushed/matte stainless isn't any more shiny than blued steel. Anyone that sees my son's gun also asks about it.

4054012857_ac8b8cacf0_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ruger Alaskan in .375 Ruger. Or if you can track one down a Sako Brown Bear in .416 Rigby
I also have a Ruger African in .375 Ruger - basically brand new that I'd sell. Granted I don't think I'd take that gun to Alaska.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilbertHer

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!