I need boots for my first safari

May I offer another piece of advice relating to boots? Wear them on the plane, or keep them in your carry on.

Last October my luggage (containing my boots) was lost. Did not catch up with me until my return flight. I suppose I was cavalier, as I had never had a bag lost prior to this. My comfy “travel shoes” were unsuitable for hunting. I was able to pick up a pair of boots from a little shop in Ohrigstad. After the first day in the Drakensberg mountains, the soles became separated from the boot. It was a long week…
I always wear footwear and clothes suitable for hunting in and a change of clothes I can hunt in in my carry on. Just in case!

I want to explain my search for my African boots.

I had a pair of Rocky Safaris, I guess bought in 1995 or so. I had used them on at least 14 safaris and numerous hunts in North America, and they, for me were perfect, 8 inch, no heel, non aggressive sole, all leather. Rocky stopped making them, the lining and the sole wore out and they were just in bad shape after my buff hunt last July. The boots I wanted were for flat land savannah hunts.

So began the search. Several of the pictures posted here show boots with heels, aggressive tread, or the boots mentioned have nylon panels sewn into the leather.

Someone mentioned Jim Green boots so I started looking at information about them. I found a company that strives to make a boot to your specifications. I bought an all leather 8 inch boot that has a double layer of leather, chose the sole they put on their African Ranger boot and now have what I exactly wanted.

I just had my first safari this April in SA, I got a pair of Danner Pronghorns and they were perfect. My outfitter told me to go with all leather because of the thorns and I'm glad he did. The boots are very comfortable and needed no break in at all. My boots showed plenty of marks from the thorns so I won't go in tennis shoes and I won't go without good gaiters. To me socks didn't matter much as line as they're good ones. Good luck on your first hunt I know I'm hooked for life after mine.

+1

I had Al make me a similar pair from the hide of my cape buffalo a few years back.. have worn them to hunt in Africa twice now and will continue to take them with me when I hunt in the future.. super comfortable, incredibly well made, and at a price point that cant be beat (I paid less for Al to make me a custom, bespoke pair of boots than I would have paid for off the shelf courteneys)..

Ive got an ostrich hide from our 2022 hunt that I need to take over to him soon.. Al also makes outstanding western/cowboy boots (I also had a pair of western boots made from my buff hide).. the wife and I both intend on having him make a pair of western boots from our ostrich's..

I think @Philip Glass and a few other AH members have also had Al make them some custom boots..
Yes

My last 3 safaris, I have worn Adidas Terrex hiking shoes. If there is dew, your feet might get a little wet but they dry out quick. Light, quiet and durable.

Enjoy your first hunt and the planning leading up to it.

For footwear, you don’t need to go out and splurge if you don’t want or need to. I’ve hunting Limpopo a couple of times and you can wear anything from Tennis Shoes, Hiking Boots, old Combat Boots, or Courtney’s.

Wear what you find comfortable and your budget allows. Spending a few hundred dollars on a pair of boots is good if you’re going to consistently use them, but if not; use what you have and save the money for extra trophy fees, another mount, or some souvenirs to add to your memories.

I have had poor luck with custom boots in the past. Some had shoddy workmanship and one even arrived months after the agreed time and hunt. I am more likely to look for a stock boot with a good track record. I have never had one done by Al Dos Santos and might try him.

I love my Courteney Selous, they are an investment, as I wear boots daily on my Iowa acreage. One thing I would highly recommend are short leather gaiters. Mine are Kudu leather, from Courteney. I wear a thin inner sock, then a fairly lightweight wool shortish sock. The gaiter goes over all socks at the top, and covers the laces. Push the sox down as needed. Mike.

Look at a boot with a non agressive tread pattern, stones get stuck inthe tread and makes scratchy noises, lightweight leather boots with ankle support works well, would love a pair of Courtneys but out of my price range.

I have worn Merrill moabs my last two trips and really like them.I wear them at home a lot too.Not really expensive either.

Courtney’s are what I’ve worn the times I’ve been in Africa and I have no complaints whatsoever! Best hunting boots I’ve ever bought!

Look at a boot with a non agressive tread pattern, stones get stuck inthe tread and makes scratchy noises, lightweight leather boots with ankle support works well, would love a pair of Courtneys but out of my price range.
Jim green rangers are imo less expensive and equal quality to Courtney and easier to purchase
IMG_0236.png
IMG_0235.png
IMG_0344.jpeg

In my limited Limpopo experience (8 days ) I wouldn’t wear tennis shoes, no ankle support and the area ( Thabazimbi ) I was in had way too many loose rocks for them.

Below, Two well known PH's. One with 50+ years experience the other probably over 25. Both in canvas tennis shoes. One a knock off of Keds, the other in a knock off of Chuck Taylor's.

Tanks pointed out a well known PH who wears crocs. I have had a ph hunt in sports sandals. I have hunted in Keen sports sandals. I have hunted in high-top canvas Converse All-stars. They drain water and don't suck off your feet in a muddy environment. In My last Africa hunt a couple months ago I alternated between Merrill Moabs low cut and Courtney Hunter's, wearing the Merrill's when I knew we would be in the rocky hills. Same with the hunt before.

Everyone should certainly wear what they want, but in response to the OP who thought Courtney's were more than he wanted to spend. There is no need to overspend on footwear unless you want to, just like there is no need to spend a lot on a wardrobe unless you want to. If you want your wardrobe from Holland & Holland or Kuiu, go for it. Blue jeans or cheap cargo pants and an olive t shirt will work just as well. I have probably shot as many African animals wearing plaid or a white t shirt as I have in proper safari clothes. Some may say it is not optimal but it certainly works.

1695846941583.png

I was just pointing out t
Below, Two well known PH's. One with 50+ years experience the other probably over 25. Both in canvas tennis shoes. One a knock off of Keds, the other in a knock off of Chuck Taylor's.

Tanks pointed out a well known PH who wears crocs. I have had a ph hunt in sports sandals. I have hunted in Keen sports sandals. I have hunted in high-top canvas Converse All-stars. They drain water and don't suck off your feet in a muddy environment. In My last Africa hunt a couple months ago I alternated between Merrill Moabs low cut and Courtney Hunter's, wearing the Merrill's when I knew we would be in the rocky hills. Same with the hunt before.

Everyone should certainly wear what they want, but in response to the OP who thought Courtney's were more than he wanted to spend. There is no need to overspend on footwear unless you want to, just like there is no need to spend a lot on a wardrobe unless you want to. If you want your wardrobe from Holland & Holland or Kuiu, go for it. Blue jeans or cheap cargo pants and an olive t shirt will work just as well. I have probably shot as many African animals wearing plaid or a white t shirt as I have in proper safari clothes. Some may say it is not optimal but it certainly works.

View attachment 560070
I was just pointing out that in the specific spot I was in unless you are used to walking around on rocks from the size of tennis balls up to basketballs up and down mountains I wouldn’t wear tennis shoes, too easy to turn an ankle. I was mostly hunting klipspringer. Sure in the Zambezi delta I wore keen water shoes but no rocks .

I would recommend working on strenghtening your ankles if rolling your ankles is a concern. And also chose a thinner sole to lower your center gravity close to the ground (like the Vincent's converse above, etc).

Look up some simple exercises using bands, or Bosu balls, etc. Modern humans' ankles are weak because we walk on flat surfaces all day. Using some of the non-impact strengthening methods will help make your life easier when outdoors.

View attachment 560070

Palladium shoes were once very popular among east africa's hunters. They are essentially chuck taylors with a lug sole - and it's a damn shame they only make them narrow as a toothpick. Natasha Illum Berg wears them.

I would recommend working on strenghtening your ankles if rolling your ankles is a concern. And also chose a thinner sole to lower your center gravity close to the ground (like the Vincent's converse above, etc).

Look up some simple exercises using bands, or Bosu balls, etc. Modern humans' ankles are weak because we walk on flat surfaces all day. Using some of the non-impact strengthening methods will help make your life easier when outdoors.
You can’t really strength joints you have to work on the supporting muscles but I get your point, even as a former professional athlete i would not take a chance on turning an ankle or worse and ruining an expensive hunt. Especially if not used to walking on uneven terrain.

Methinks people usually overthink the crap outta footwear for Africa. I hunt in Courtney’s, but I also have hunted in sandals and tennis shoes. Wear whatever you‘d put on at your place in the summer if going for a 5K walk. You’ll be fine.

Good advise. I have two pairs of Courteney Selous boots and one pair of Courteney Warriors. They work great in mountainous terrain or when it’s cold - that means 15 *C in KZN. I have done many many hunts in vellies or running shoes, and they work perfectly well. On even terrain I would venture to say they work better than a heavy boot.

Someone mentioned strengthening ankles. You can not really strengthen the joint, but you can strengthen the supporting muscles, and most importantly improve your proprioception, so that you do not loose balance easily and sprain an ankle. The best start to achieve that is to see a good physiotherapist and religiously adhere to the exercises that they give you.

The walking that I have done in Limpopo did not require very serious boots.

Merral Moab's are a good choice in a hiking-style boot.

Any USA mil-spec deserts boots will do the job also and might even be better, if you are walking through sand.

Get high tops, if you don't want to use gaiters in sand and be sure to break them in well, before you go hunting.

I might be sacrilegious, but I just don't get the love affair that some have with Courtney boots. I have worn them, and I am very much, a boot "connoisseur", but (IMO) you are simply buying nostalgia...

A 55-year old pair of Vietnam jungle boots is a better choice, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarianneGr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]