I need boots for my first safari

I have hunted the Eastern Cape twice. I used Lowa Renegades the first time. Zero issue. On my second trip (this June) I used GoRuck MacV-1s. They were fabulous! We were doing maybe 5-6 miles a day, according to my PH and the device on his wrist. Longest day was 8.5 miles. They handled every type of terrain. My feet were never anything other than comfortable. In saying that what I mean is I never gave my feet a second thought, day in/day out. And they were almost half the weight of my Lowas I took the first time. They are not a practical answer for anything I hunt up here in Alaska, but I have them cleaned and tucked away and ready for my next Africa trip.

About strengthening feet and ankles: the suggestion to walk ploughed fields for exercise is excellent. Somewhere I read a study that walking through fields was 50 percent more productive than walking on sidewalks.
You can brag about your easy miles on the street but the hard miles cross country are what pay off.
Dogone, you are correct (based on my experience) strengthening feet and Ankles happens best by walking “uneven surfaces”. I still go to the gym, 4-5x a week - lift weights, and also bike, I’ve always been in good shape. But as I got into my late 50s noticed I couldn’t walk very fast thru the woods, couldn’t keep up with my 28 yr old Son without tripping or stumbling. I wasn’t tired or even out of breath but couldn’t keep my balance as well walking fast over logs, rocks, crossing shallow creek etc. I had to “consciously think about foot placement every step”. I figured it was a byproduct of old age - it is “partly”. Then a few years ago (in my 60s) retired and had time to run a small trapline. I was walking the woods daily, about 1 1/2 miles every day, carrying light 20 lb backpack. After a week I was “stumbling Less” and after a month - was walking much faster, foot placement was quick and natural (without thinking), balance good, there was a noticeable improvement. I know longer had to think about foot placement - was now walking fast-natural....felt great. I believe strengthening the small muscles in ankle and maybe feet - helps improve balance, these small muscles are what help you recover balance “instantly” before you even realize you were losing balance. Once I stopped trapping I noticed a deterioration that Summer when back in the woods scouting for deer stand locations - but I know what to do to get it back. The gym is great and so is biking for cardio and strength but a treadmill or level ground jogging does little for balance in the woods.

HUNTROMANIA, I agree for all-day- walking hunts in cold or potentially wet areas - Light & waterproof is the way to go.. But any waterproof (goretex & similar) affects breathability and builds up more heat & sweat then Non Goretex Boots ... For hot, dry weather a Non waterproof boot can be better. Also, for cold, stand type hunting - weight is unimportant and extra insulation is what matters most. I think if you hunt in different conditions and different styles of hunting - you need several types of boots.
I agree. Have several different boots myself. Have Kennetrek insulated waterproof, non-insulated non waterproof for hot places and heavy boots for stands with million something thinsulate and a pair of leather army boots. Adds up to dollars but the feet are worth it.

Any shoes in which you can walk, hike and stalk for several kilometers and hours will do it´s job in Africa. Important is that the shoes are already worn.
I walked more on stones than on sand, so for me (personal opinion) light mountain trekking shoes without insulation are a good chice.
Although I own a pair of Courteneys and used them in Zimbabwe this year, this kind of safari boots is not necessary for a successful hunt.

If getting the Courtney's which sole style? Ripple or Tyre Tread?

If getting the Courtney's which sole style? Ripple or Tyre Tread?

Ask 3 people that question and you’ll get 6 different answers :)

I personally prefer the ripple (as does my wife).. but many really prefer the tire tread..

I think it largely depends on the terrain where you primarily intend to hunt..

I find the ripple does better in soft, sandy, and rocky terrain… doesn’t pick up rocks, is very soft, very quiet, etc..

But it also doesn’t shed mud as easily as the tire tread.. if it’s going to be even a little wet or muddy I’d likely prefer the tire tread..

For God's sake, the original poster comes from Sweden.

Lundhags. Either of the Bjerg or Stuore models would be excellent. My son took a pair of low cut Stuore earlier this year and was fine with them. They did, however, need a considerable dosing in neatsfoot oil to soften them up beforehand.

If you want to look like a tourist, Courtneys. If you want to look like a rich tourist, you can buy the same thing from either Westley Richards or Rigby with their label sewn in. That makes them better.

If you want to look like a rube, Adidas Terrex.

If you want to look like a local, boots from the local co-op ('co-op boots'), bought when you arrive.

The best socks that I have found are British army desert socks.

Don't worry about snakes, but do take sensible precautions against ticks.

As long as your boots allow you to run faster than your PH, you'll be fine.

Attachments

• Adidas Terrex: Hiking Boots & Training Shoes | The Sporting Lodge.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 38
  • Clothing Archives - John Rigby & Co..pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • DESERT SOCKS WARM WEATHER MOD | Silvermans.pdf
    590.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Hiking and Trekking Boots | Lundhags.pdf
    962.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Home - Safari Boots, Shoes and Accessories - The Courteney Boot Company.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • Men's Leather Hunting & Shooting Boots - Westley Richards.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 25

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velugema

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt