I need boots for my first safari

When in Africa I wear two layers of socks: support stockings for my crappy circulation and one pair of fairly thin wool blend work socks (Dickies). Support stockings greatly increase my endurance (keeps blood from pooling in my legs) and also adds some protection against ticks. You don't want to deal with African tick bite fever during a safari! Fortunately, it didn't hit me last year till after I was home. The correct antibiotic took care of it. Spray those socks with bug spray and that will help immensely.
20220911_192024.jpg

I was out chopping down some trees this morning in comfort, wearing my Courteney Selous safari boots for the task at hand. I was cutting on a sheer grade bluff and that boot is the most sure footed option I own. I think I'm up to five pairs, of which 3 are in my safari rotation and the others are casual wear?

@Pirkan , probably, you already will have the footwear you need.

Any well worn hiking shoe will be fine. Whatever you use in Sweden in summer.

Don't overthink or overbuy footwear for an Africa hunt unless you want to. A good outdoor tennis shoe like Merrill, Columbia, Keen etc. will work perfectly well.
In my limited Limpopo experience (8 days ) I wouldn’t wear tennis shoes, no ankle support and the area ( Thabazimbi ) I was in had way too many loose rocks for them.

@Pirkan , probably, you already will have the footwear you need.

Any well worn hiking shoe will be fine. Whatever you use in Sweden in summer.
Agreed 100%. The OP lives in Sweden and here we are throwing out suggestions for American or African boot companies. He should be able to find some light hiking boot locally that will work ... if he already doesn't have a pair.

I would definitely recommend putting a few miles on a new pair of boots/shoes before leaving. I bought a new pair of hiking boots the week before leaving this time because my old faithful Georgia boots are getting towards the end. I wore the new boots for a few days before getting on the plane and then just a couple of odd days hunting. Good thing I brought the old boots too. The new boots didn't break in very easily. DEFINITELY always bring a second pair of footwear! Even new boots can crap out unexpectedly. Wear one pair on the plane and extra pair in checked baggage. I slip my hiking boots off on the long flights and keep an extra pair of wool socks as slippers in carryon in case the plane is cold. Only three changes of clothes max needed for the trip (two is actually plenty). But that's another thread topic.

When in Africa I wear two layers of socks: support stockings for my crappy circulation and one pair of fairly thin wool blend work socks (Dickies). Support stockings greatly increase my endurance (keeps blood from pooling in my legs) and also adds some protection against ticks. You don't want to deal with African tick bite fever during a safari! Fortunately, it didn't hit me last year till after I was home. The correct antibiotic took care of it. Spray those socks with bug spray and that will help immensely. View attachment 557969
Yep, spray with permethrin and let dry before trip.

There is a company in us you can send clothes too and they will use permethrin and a binding agent on clothes. Lasts something like 50 washes.

I just checked a Swedish outdoor website. It looks like you have plenty of options for good hiking shoes and boots. Some are even what I assume are Swedish brands like Haglofs, Alfa, and Lundhags.

You also can get Lowa, Crispi, and Meindl boots which would work well. I have friends who have worn Lowa Renegades hunting in Africa and I've been looking at the Meindl boots.

My man. PH’s aren’t some mythical creatures walking through the jungle. Literally millions of people work outside in hot weather walking through the woods. I’ve never seen one wearing crocs.

The dude can wear whatever he wants. His choice. But you obviously know and like him. I bet he’s a great PH.

Wearing crocs with no socks in the bush in Africa is one of the weirdest, and dumbest things I have seen in a long time. It just is.

And every ph I’ve ever met was terrified of snakes and the boots and gaiters they wear def offer some protection from snakes. Way more than crocs.
Africa is a big place. Depending on terrain and time of year it can make sense. Why many of the guys that track in the heat of the day for months at a time continue to wear open style shoes. Not a macho thing as you are saying hahah.

Whatever you buy, make sure you break them in long before the hunt. I would hike in mine starting a few months before the hunt and gradually increase the distance. Good luck!
That's why I'm looking into this now. I've just confirmed the dates with my ph

So glad I wore my Kenetrek uninsulated hikers last month hunting Cape Buffalo. We hunted mountainous, very rocky and thick terrain. Definitely need the ankle support and stiff boot soles to comfortably traverse the terrain.

That's why I'm looking into this now. I've just confirmed the dates with my ph
dont overthink it sir

decent mid hi boots that are worn in will work, must be comfortable
u may walk 20km a day you may walk 4km. all depends on situation and what u like to do

looking forward

Om du jagar där det är relativt slätt är ett par Courteney boots perfekt.
De är rätt värdelösa här hemma då de tål väta dåligt.
I alla fall om de är sydda av buffelskinn och om det inte är torrt.
Funkar ok på sommaren.
Ett tips är att spraya kläder,skor och strumpor med Ultra shield spray för hästar
för att slippa fästingar.
Gjorde inte det första resan och åkte på Tickbite fever trots att vi inte såg en enda fästing på hela den resan.

I´ve decided to go on my first safari which will take place in the Limpopo province of SA in late April. Since I live and hunt in Sweden I don´t own any boots that are appropriate for this climate so I need some recomendations from all the knowledgeble people here. I want something with a high shaft for good stability while being as breathable as possible. I also wonder how people like to do with their socks. I use a thin and kneelength wool sock underneath with a thicker but shorter wool sock on top to reduce friction but this combo would cook my feet in an instant in Africa so I need advice on a more suitable setup. I know that someone will recomend courtney boots but they are too expensive where i´m at and don´t really offer what i want. If anyone knows a good surplus boot that would be great so I could spend more money on more animals.

Also, please feel free to add any good beginners advice on safari footwear
I walk “a lot” in the woods, hike, hunting etc.. My first recommendation - Don’t buy any boot based on cost - buy what’s COMFORTABLE and fits properly. There are many hiking boot brands - ankle high - that are light and comfortable. You don’t need insulated boots but might want goretex if any wet conditions are possible. Remember that even Goretex “holds in some heat” and does not breath as well as Non goretex boots. I’ve used Merrill light Hiking boots and found them comfortable - they also come in different widths (good for my “wide” feet). For me - boots are very important, if your feet hurt, blister etc... you can’t walk well and will be in pain.
For socks - I like medium weight merino wool with a very thin liner sock underneath - synthetic for the liner sock.... Start your “gear” planning with your FEET and then work your way UP.

I´ve decided to go on my first safari which will take place in the Limpopo province of SA in late April. Since I live and hunt in Sweden I don´t own any boots that are appropriate for this climate so I need some recomendations from all the knowledgeble people here. I want something with a high shaft for good stability while being as breathable as possible. I also wonder how people like to do with their socks. I use a thin and kneelength wool sock underneath with a thicker but shorter wool sock on top to reduce friction but this combo would cook my feet in an instant in Africa so I need advice on a more suitable setup. I know that someone will recomend courtney boots but they are too expensive where i´m at and don´t really offer what i want. If anyone knows a good surplus boot that would be great so I could spend more money on more animals.

Also, please feel free to add any good beginners advice on safari footwear
You will want to focus on lightweight boots for your safari. Some of the lightest I've found are Lowas. I don't think high tops are necessary where you are going. I would recommend a midweight wool sock. Darn Tough are one option but any available to you will work I'm sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelicaMa

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]