I may be done with africa, at least for a while

I have no clue. Sounds messed up.
But I never underestimate the ability of the government to be stupid
You never stated the broker you used. I’d suspect this to be a problem with the broker more than the government.

You never stated the broker you used. I’d suspect this to be a problem with the broker more than the government.
How so? If the USDA requires insp? I dont understand how the broker could be at fault.

Agreed. A good
Broker has the inspections lined up before the shipment arrives.

How so? If the USDA requires insp? I dont understand how the broker could be at fault.

The broker works with USDA to ensure all required inspections are available and scheduled. If USDA starts to do something stupid, their job is to intervene.

I reread your posts in this thread. I never heard of Laing international or using them for trophy shipments prior to now. Use Coppersmiths in Atlanta or Coppersmiths or SSI in New York. The only call you should be getting from an experienced trophy import broker is where do you want it sent by truck and paying your bill.

I reread your posts in this thread. I never heard of Laing international or using them for trophy shipments prior to now. Use Coppersmiths in Atlanta or Coppersmiths or SSI in New York. The only call you should be getting from an experienced trophy import broker is where do you want it sent by truck and paying your bill.

Spot on!!!

Spot on!!!
I went with who was recommended by the Taxidermist, Overall I can not say Laing has done bad. The USDA is requiring insp, which in it self is strange since its a finished product. Maybe Laing had controll over that or not I am not sure.

I went with who was recommended by the Taxidermist, Overall I can not say Laing has done bad. The USDA is requiring insp, which in it self is strange since its a finished product. Maybe Laing had controll over that or not I am not sure.

I have done many shipments into Atlanta, both finished and unfinished. In every case I used coppersmith and have never had an inspection issue. In every case they have kept me apprised of the inspection procedures and status. In one case they bullied their way into Turkish airlines’ warehouse and found a shipment Turkish had declared lost. I’m sorry for your frustration, but Laing did a poor job for you.

I just got my mounts to the states , landed in Atlanta , required to be cleared by taxidermy.
So they fly the crate to Baltimore to then be picked up by the taxidermy folks for insp.
Make good sense.
Fly finished trophies and tanned hides to the states. Only then to fly them all around the east coast saying they need inspection,,,
All finished shoulder , European mounts and tanned hides. Plains game.

I agree I am not going to Africa with out my own rifle.
And I will eventually go back.
But with current airline prices and other government mandated bs.
I choose to catch up on some dream hunts in North America.
Wow that is crazy. Who was your import broker?

Wow that is crazy. Who was your import broker?
Laing international.
Nylstroom taxidermy, recommend zingela shippers, zingela recommended Laing.
I simply stuck with the recommendation.
Things have not really been that hateful. It’s more sticker shock and aggravation. Seem at every turn some one has their hand hung out for more money.

It’s almost at the end. Once it gets inspected I will drive to Pennsylvania and pick up the crate.
I would have much rather preferred.
Pay the shipper over in SA
And pay an importer once a quoted fee that was accurate.
I will go back to Africa as I have said. But I won’t be shipping home a big crate. I really don’t have enough room any way. I am remodeling my shop / man cave for these heads.
It’s kinda like the story. You give a mouse a cookie.

Safaris are expensive, complicated and not without risks (financial, legal and personal.) As others have mentioned, we can take steps to reduce the complexity and risk by hiring experienced and reputable travel agents, hunting outfits, shippers and taxidermists….and buying insurance to get our carcasses back should something bad happen!
Safaris are also the last form of real adventure available in this rapidly modernizing world. Someday, I’ll reach the point that safaris are no longer possible. I hope that point is many years off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
only1mb

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.