I Just Learned “Hunting Is An Elite Hobby”

As ridiculous as the premise is that we only hunt to kill because of some bloodthirsty bent, there is a difference between European and US hunting. That being primarily being access. Think of the story of Robin Hood - being an outlaw in part for killing one of the king's deer (he owed all the deer in the woods). There is generally a high barrier for entry (i.e., more expensive) to join a hunting club or own land, get a gun license, etc. in Europe than the US.

It's actually something that we in the (US, NZ, Canada, and others) for that matter should celebrate. Even though public land availability varies depending on where you are in the states - it is a grand privilege that we too often take for granted.

I have limited hunting experience in Europe and don't live there. I'm sure our European members can add their thoughts as well.

As ridiculous as the premise is that we only hunt to kill because of some bloodthirsty bent, there is a difference between European and US hunting. That being primarily being access. Think of the story of Robin Hood - being an outlaw in part for killing one of the king's deer (he owed all the deer in the woods). There is generally a high barrier for entry (i.e., more expensive) to join a hunting club or own land, get a gun license, etc. in Europe than the US.

It's actually something that we in the (US, NZ, Canada, and others) for that matter should celebrate. Even though public land availability varies depending on where you are in the states - it is a grand privilege that we too often take for granted.

I have limited hunting experience in Europe and don't live there. I'm sure our European members can add their thoughts as well.
Best answer in this thread. The reason for much of European society's disdain for hunting and fishing primarily comes down to class. For centuries only the aristocracy had any right to stag hunting and both recreational and meat hunting were strictly off-limits for the middle and lower classes. So although I may understand the author's naive stance on trophy hunting, he or she has to realize that things work very differently in other parts of the world.

Though hunting may have been an elitist sport in Europe, on other continents it was a basic necessity for the average person hence why the anti-hunting presence is much smaller in North America, Australia, and Africa.

if you're not making a huge mistake there
The biggest pressure groups against hunting in Africa come from the USA.
Yes, but in proportion to the overall population, the anti presence is higher in European countries. Apologies, I should've clarified.

I can speak of entry barriers to hunting in Oz and in Poland. The cost is not the issue, sure you need to purchase some gear like rifle, binos and boots and a vehicle is probably gonna be mighty handy but people who can afford the essential stuff are only “elite” because they belong to this rare, exclusive and very elite club of “job haves”. There are other, non financial requirements too. In Poland you need to complete a fairly intensive, time consuming year long apprenticeship with a hunting club. This is followed by a course and a few exams but again, anyone can do it, it’s only a matter of having the will to do so.

Being an Elite as per Websters Dictionary - "a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society."

Now, if this isn't all of us here on AH then I don't know who is. The very definition relates to our society as hunters. The prescribed definition has nothing to do with monetary wealth, but a STATE OF MIND. I am proud to be a hunter and a conservationist.

Who knew? I feel so much more important now. :confused:

This article from February was “presented” to me today. I don’t need to go into that part but, yet again, clueless = dangerous.

It is a thrill for the people that shoot the animals. They have their nice cars and houses. What else can I do to have this extra kick, maybe that’s what drives them…”

“It is people that enjoy killing because obviously you need to enjoy it to take a life.”

“People don’t want it and government’s don’t listen. A ban would only affect this small percentage of rich people.”

View attachment 411305
I read this while enjoying a lunchmeat sandwich at my desk at work. I’m feeling so much more elite now!

One thing to consider is the targeted audience of the article. For the average European worker a multi thousand Euro trip to Africa for trophy hunting can be considered the hobby of the elites.

Even deer hunting costs a lot more there than here as public lands for hunting do not really exist. Here in the States we shoot millions of deer each year, something that is inconceivable for Europeans.

I read this while enjoying a lunchmeat sandwich at my desk at work. I’m feeling so much more elite now!
In keeping with my ELITE status, I'll need to upgrade my sandwich ingredients. To think all these years I've been eating baloney and cheese on white bread. SMH

One thing to consider is the targeted audience of the article. For the average European worker a multi thousand Euro trip to Africa for trophy hunting can be considered the hobby of the elites.

Even deer hunting costs a lot more there than here as public lands for hunting do not really exist. Here in the States we shoot millions of deer each year, something that is inconceivable for Europeans.
I do get that part. We’re lucky that way and I do appreciate those opportunities. It’s the other part about being thrilled to kill is what “royally” pisses me off. The money thing varies everywhere but it’s the complete disregard ( and lack of desire to know) for why we actually do what we do and the good it does that gets me wound up.

In keeping with my ELITE status, I'll need to upgrade my sandwich ingredients. To think all these years I've been eating baloney and cheese on white bread. SMH
Me too! I’m going for summer sausage in my sandwiches tomorrow!

Pencilneckvania? My wifes' from there and I've hunted with those elitist bastards a few times. They all like to use their elitist Remington 760/7600 killing machines.
Hahaha I know all about wives from pennsyltuky . I've seen some elites using those pump guns around here too. Mostly them fellas with the long beards driving a horse and buggy lol I'm far more elite in the fact that I thrill kill with a state of the art bolt gun fed with premium ammo.

Obviously the article as posted was written by a nincompoop for those with less first hand knowledge than he. However there could be another possibility, that being "all of his ancestors were fishermen."

So I'm an elitist. I always suspected it. Never party with peasants. They ruin everything
Page: "Sire, the peasants are revolting!" Lord: "What's your point?"

OK seriously...
If we want the to retain the right to hunt we need to be vocal and articulate about the benefits of hunting, not only to ourselves but to the animal populations hunted, and the communities in the surrounding areas. Insidious anti hunting sentiments are proliferating, and slowly, inexorably we are losing ground. This is not a fight we can win with bluster and bravado.

I agree, hunting is an elistist sport, and thank goodness. There are only 700,000 or so canvasbacks in the world. There are 360,000,000 people in the US...if just 1% of "Americans" decided to kill a canvasback this year, they'd be extinct before the annual regulatory process could save them...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yuvbfsgf365

Latest profile posts

Shaker Crew | Kids Sweatshirt
https://www.braveactiveco.com/products/knit-sweatshirt
Comfortable and premium quality Knit Sweatshirt. Our Knit Sweatshirt is crafted with our exquisite recycled fabric, ensuring a soft and lightweight feel.
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia