I’m itching for a new rifle or shotgun

Dewald you have some nice firearms in your collection but any serious firearms enthusiast in my opinion should have at least one decent lever action rifle , something like a 30-30 , 45-70 , 44 Mag , etc .

Dewald you have some nice firearms in your collection but any serious firearms enthusiast in my opinion should have at least one decent lever action rifle , something like a 30-30 , 45-70 , 44 Mag , etc .

Thanks Paul. I’m not at all opposed to it. They are very unfamiliar in RSA though, but the chaps that chase bushpig for miles over hounds love them. I quite like the rotary magazine of the savage 99, in fact I can have a .303 Savage for free, but condition isnt great, and it might be a mission to load.

If I go 45-70 USGov, what rifle do you suggest?

Thanks Paul. I’m not at all opposed to it. They are very unfamiliar in RSA though, but the chaps that chase bushpig for miles over hounds love them. I quite like the rotary magazine of the savage 99, in fact I can have a .303 Savage for free, but condition isnt great, and it might be a mission to load.

If I go 45-70 USGov, what rifle do you suggest?
I would say that over the last 10 to 15 years lever actions have become more popular here in SA . I have some Marlins and a Rossi , all of which I throughly enjoy . The 45-70 is great fun and one is able to hunt many types of animals with it ranging from pigs to Eland if one wants to but it is not a long distance cartridge . In SA it is mainly Marlin , Winchester or Rossi that is available , sometimes one is able to find other makes such as Savage , Browning , Ruger , Sako , etc but in smaller numbers . New , like all firearms they are expensive but keep an eye on Gunafrica you might get lucky if you decide to buy one . Marlin is popular as one can easily put a scope on it , the JM stamped ones in general are of better quality but some of the Remington made Marlins ( Remlins) are good , I think it was after 2014 that their quality was brought upto standard again . I have one Remlin and it is the 45-70 , it is a great shooter with no problems . If you have the money I think the new Marlins that are made by Ruger will be a good buy , I suspect they will soon be imported to SA .

Omg, we are really deprived of firearms selections here. If I think of how little know of the 35 Whelen here.. We South Africans do love our guns but its so difficult here. Dewald, you habe quite the impressive collection. My buddy's father was a collector with 138 firearms on his name. The list was just jaw dropping

Yes we are by enlarged deprived of firearms in SA. Especially lever actions, shotguns, black rifles, handguns, muzzle loaders etc.

My collection was never ment to be a collection. Just some nice well looked after rifles that i hunt with, some of them representing the golden age of African Hunting. Others practical tools for the trade. Over the years ive thinned down the lot by a few that I wasn’t comfortable with. M also learning to not be to sentimental towards these, as I may well leave SA soon and have to sell all of them

Considering your wonderful current selection of calibers and type of firearms, this is my suggestion to fill in the "gaps" :

#1 a dainty 20 gauge to play with spurfowl
#2 a good looking Savage 99 in .300
#3 Find a pre-64 .300 H&H

20 ga is made for the uplands, just wonderful to carry all day behind a brace of pointing dogs.
I've owned a .257 Roberts, Liked it, but your 6.5mm's will do the same job, a little better
I've owned a couple of .250 Savage M99's, and ammunition availability and the original limits of rifling twist to light 87 gr. bullets makes that choice problematic for pig hunts. 300 or .308 is a better choice.
A 300 H&H M70 is like gold, pick it up when you find it, but don't hold your breath ;-)

have fun shopping!
I agree with your assessment, but I will say, the company I work for (Rock Island Auction Company) tend to sell a few Model 70s in .300 H&H every major auction. We sold two just this past week during our last Sporting & Collectors auction in fact. So if that is something you are really after, keep an eye out with us (or the other major auction house websites) and you may get lucky!

A Bob (257 Roberts) is a great little round and capable of some remarkably large animals with 117gr to 120gr bullets

(120 Speer SPBT is a particular favourite but also had good luck with 117gr Sierra Game King and 120gr Nosler Partitions)

Mine's on an FN:

Cejkwlg.jpg

22" Lothar Walther Barrel
Lawrence Precision Titanium Moderator
Swarovski Z4i 3-12x50 scope

Very handy for walking around with.

Scrummy

Last edited by a moderator:
He's not without a good point.

A lever action is fun. You can even get them in takedown.

Chiappa are currently doing takedowns in .38/.357 Mag, 44 mag, .45 Colt and 45-70 (Based 1892 and 1886 for the 45-70)

Winchester currently have new production 1894s in 30-30 and 405W...

Scrummy

I’ve found a good bargain on a Savage 99 .250 Savage in good nic and bor for R5000, as well as 14 boxes of Sierra 100gr ProHunter for another R550. It will be a neat addition to the collection.

In addition ive bought a Beretta S56e in mint condition for R12 000. This will keep the wolf at bay for a few months, and provide for some good pigs over hounds and Guinea fowl shooting.

Between this snd the Miroku 3700 id be covered for waterfowl and upland birds.

Now for the the elusive 20

No big bores in that list! You need a 505 Gibbs or a 500 Jeffery.

:)

I’m the first to admit I’m not man enough for their recoil, operating cost, and initial expense. My problem is I wont settle with a CZ. Likely a Domoulin or a Dakota, or even better a British .505 (ex Crudgington) or a dincum Jeff in .500.

It would be nice though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LatiaU5154

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!