Hunting wild cattle/bovines...

I would also class the Muskox to the sheeps, but his behavior is more like that of a buffalo.

I shot one at the end of the summer at the estuary of the Ellice River in the NWT, where they were far apart, unlike in the wintertime where I shot one on the west and another one on the east coast of Greenland. The small herds get into position to defense by the least menace and were unfortunately for this reason very easy to shot. On my last Muskox hunt, the sled dogs were very helpful.

Funny that I woke up to this thread. I couldn't sleep at all last night. Lying in bed not sleeping, I was plotting out where and how I might harvest the African sub species. Currently obsessed with Dwarf Buffalo. Reassessing my Bison strategy (Would give anything to draw a henry mountain tag), then I feel like I owe the family a trip, Hawaii/ Vancouver bull perhaps, or maybe Aus?

I don't know why few animals call to me like bovines!

Funny that I woke up to this thread. I couldn't sleep at all last night. Lying in bed not sleeping, I was plotting out where and how I might harvest the African sub species. Currently obsessed with Dwarf Buffalo. Reassessing my Bison strategy (Would give anything to draw a henry mountain tag), then I feel like I owe the family a trip, Hawaii/ Vancouver bull perhaps, or maybe Aus?

That Henry Mountain tag...it could happen but man, the odds are so low. What about going up to Canada for a woods bison? I've considered it many times but haven't done it yet.

That Henry Mountain tag...it could happen but man, the odds are so low. What about going up to Canada for a woods bison? I've considered it many times but haven't done it yet.
My thoughts exactly. I would love to hunt the woods bison, but I am not sure it would quench my desire for the romance of a Henry Bull. On top of that I see any money I can scrape up in the near future going towards a CAR or Cameroon hunt!

I also don't really know what attracts me to this hunt.

I only go hunting in Africa because of the buffalos, and to a very small extent because of the elephants, but there you are, because of the money, very quickly limited. The rest of the African game does not particularly interest me. I prefer hunt deers or Ibex than antelopes.

Dwarf buffalo hunting is also a project but very difficult to hunt alone and not as part of a Bongo hunt. I phoned around in France about this and competent people explained to me the problem of the different biotopes and the selection of a area where you can be successful by hunting dwarf buffalos. Unfortunately, such areas where hunting is allowed for non-resident foreigners are very rare in Cameroon as in Congo.

I hear you...similar thought patterns here....weighing options and throwing effort this way or that.

That's also one of the reasons I posted this topic...to see what others were doing and get some inspiration from others' success. I'm enjoying the topic.

Not sure if this will make sense (it does in my mind!), but I have always felt like an Orangutang, in a forest of Chimpanzees, just not on the same wavelength as those around me, particularly when it comes to hunting.

It is interesting to me to find others with such similar thoughts and interests. Even amongst the hunters I have known, most prioritize price and "safety" concerns and would never seriously contemplate trips like these.

This forum even has me tempted to go to some of the show gatherings, just to meet others of my species and I am a serious introvert!

Not sure if this will make sense (it does in my mind!), but I have always felt like an Orangutang, in a forest of Chimpanzees, just not on the same wavelength as those around me, particularly when it comes to hunting.

It is interesting to me to find others with such similar thoughts and interests. Even amongst the hunters I have known, most prioritize price and "safety" concerns and would never seriously contemplate trips like these.

This forum even has me tempted to go to some of the show gatherings, just to meet others of my species and I am a serious introvert!
Don’t feel alone, I am a hunting fanatic, from wild hogs, aoudad, feral goats, cattle,
to making plans for Africa & Yukon, Mexico sheep

I hear you. I think many of us are in similar situations where we don't really fit in with the local crowd we grew up with that are content hunting hogs and doves a few times a year or getting to deer camp, which isn't really about hunting sometimes! Not many are dedicated/obsessed/crazy enough to chase turkeys in every state...or chase 41 species of ducks/geese/cranes...or deal with the Africa fever that draws you back constantly...I get it. That's why I'm looking forward to this weekend and spending some time around like minded people. I don't have to be like them or have them be like me but we get each other and that's good enough.

Well said!

I almost booked a trip to Dallas, but really bad timing on my end. Job just ended, wife returning from visiting her parents tomorrow. Felt it would be kind of irresponsible of me to take off now, but so tempted!

These last few comments say things so well.
I fit nowhere with anyone I know. Other than my son but he's more tied down for now.

I've started going places alone once I get money saved up. A new place or animal to hunt. The biggest trophy doesn't matter to me at all. Just a good representation if I'm so fortunate. I just need to hunt places I've never been.
I read the forum at least an hour a day learning and living through others with a similar passion.

I do hope to meet some of you in person some day. Perhaps chase some sort of bovine together somewhere?!

I have the very same feelings as many of you. I am a younger guy going on my first buff hunt this year. I dream of tracking buff in thick stuff and standing 20yds away holding a wood-stocked gun with a large hole at the end of it. Most of my peers only want to shoot 1000yds w/ a chassis rifle or AR-something. Not knocking them, I am just the odd man out.
Very much looking forward to DSC tomorrow.

Gaur is high on my list and Yak also , since Norwegian Muskox is not legal to hunt ( just for cullers ) one have to look elsewhere

And water buffalo of course .

I will be at DSC all day Sat/Sun...and at the DFW home event tomorrow night and AH forum dinner Fri night.

But the experience that Elgin Gates had when he was stalking “wild yak “ is something I don’t think I would be comfortable and zen like if that situation would occur .

I have the very same feelings as many of you. I am a younger guy going on my first buff hunt this year. I dream of tracking buff in thick stuff and standing 20yds away holding a wood-stocked gun with a large hole at the end of it. Most of my peers only want to shoot 1000yds w/ a chassis rifle or AR-something. Not knocking them, I am just the odd man out.
Very much looking forward to DSC tomorrow.

I like to do all of that, I don't seem to fit in very many categories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarmeloPla

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt