Hunting wild cattle/bovines...

I absolutely love hunting the wild bovines. My modest bag over the years (so far) includes

A few Cape buffalo
View attachment 579513
View attachment 579514
View attachment 579515
View attachment 579516
View attachment 579517
View attachment 579518
View attachment 579519
View attachment 579521
View attachment 579522
A few Asiatic water buffalo
View attachment 579523
View attachment 579524
View attachment 579525
View attachment 579526
1704865582892-png.579527

View attachment 579528
A Seladang in Chiangmai, Northern Thailand
View attachment 579531

In the false ceiling above my study room, I also have a few more albums with photographs my hunts for:
-A few more Cape buffalo
-An American bison
-A South Bengal Gaur (this one wasn't a hunt but had ambushed our unit during nighttime patrol in the Chittagong Hill Tracts during the 1971 Indo-Pak war and was shot by several of us during a random encounter)
- An Argentine buffalo
- An Australian Banteng

Please remind me on the 28th of this month. My son and daughter-in-law will return to the country and will help me find those albums. Then, I'll upload those pictures too.

I dream of someday hunting:
- An European bison
- An Australian scrub bull
- A West African forest buffalo (dwarf buffalo)

Among the wild bovine species which I've hunted so far, Seladang would have to be the most cunning. And unfortunately the largest and heaviest. To make matters worse, I was only armed with a .30-06 Springfield at that time.

P.S: If any of you gents would really like to hunt problem Gaur animals (seriously), do drop me a line sometime.

Very fascinating.

A South Bengal Gaur (this one wasn't a hunt but had ambushed our unit during nighttime patrol in the Chittagong Hill Tracts during the 1971 Indo-Pak war and was shot by several of us during a random encounter)
^ This sounds like quite the campfire story! What other critters did you encounter while serving in these parts? Any tigers?

Very fascinating.

^ This sounds like quite the campfire story! What other critters did you encounter while serving in these parts? Any tigers?
Why, thank you. Yes, but I have only shot 3 man eating Royal Bengal tigers.

Please read some of my articles. Very amateurishly written, I'm afraid. But I did try my hand at being an author.

Who has hunted all of the buffalo sub-species in Africa? Have any of you gone on to hunt most of the world's wild cattle/bovine/buffalo? I don't remember what all of the species are but you have the African buffalo and sub-species, banteng and water buffalo in Oz, water buffalo in South America...bison in North America and/or Europe...just for discussion you can include muskoxen in the north...what about gaur in Asia? I'm thinking of wild species not those found in small parks/ranches. Just curious who is working on hunting all of these? What have I forgotten? Yak don't seem interesting but maybe they are part of the list.

There is only one species of buffalo in Africa, the rest are subspecies, including the forest buffalo which, due to its appearance, clearly distinguishes itself from the other subspecies. The differences between the four other subspecies are little.

Apart from the forest buffalo, I have in the meantime shot in various countries of Africa all the other species, without knowing it. The forest buffalo is difficult to hunt as a special hunt and is mainly offered as part of the bongo hunting. According to the statements from various outfitters, success in hunting forest buffalo is not guaranteed. A topic in itself, I tried to organize such a hunt for myself in the south of Cameroon or in the Congo, but for many reasons without result. I have but not given up hope of being able to shot a dwarf buffalo at some point.

As written, there are many buffalo species in Asia, although hunting seems almost impossible to me at the moment. I had the chance to shot several Water Buffalos in Malaysia decades ago, but as far as the other species were concerned, there were no further opportunities in Asia. There were Seladang on the Malaysian peninsula, similar to the Gaur in India. We tracked one and could also see it, but the species was under strict protection. There was no Banteng, it is more a buffalo from open areas. As for the other buffalo species from Asia, we tried to hunt Anoas on Sulawesi, but in Indonesia the problem was mainly due to the import of rifles and then the very strict gun-laws of the country. The same applied to countries like Thailand where, as in India, you have to deal moreover with cultural and religious problems when it comes to hunting. When it comes to Yak hunting, the risk is high that you have to shoot a tame yak. In summary, hunting all buffalo species in Asia is more than difficult.

As for other buffalos, I also shot a European buffalo, a Wisent and also three Muskox, although the last species cannot be clearly described as a buffalo.

Last edited:
Has anyone have the video of Boddington hunting in Philippines , the outfit was ruined due to a hurricane and owner of it passed a little bit later .

I find Boddington lecturing me pretty much unwatchable.
Hahaha Red Leg, but in all reality who would you need to be lecturing you, with your background, education, firearm knowledge and hunting experience, Africa and elsewhere?
The thing is, many of us could be learning from you.

But, if we take for example an average beginner in Africa hunting, for that profile Boddington provides modern contemporary facts in one place. (book or video).
From buffalo, to elephant down to plains game, and specific groups of animals (like spiral horns, or tiny ten). Plus, Atlas of African countries where this can be hunted.

For a total begginer, this is exactly what he needs.
I am not aware of anybody else offering same thing around

In his lets say 6 to 9 books (4 of his experiences after each decade of Africa hunting, then buffalo, and elephant, next two, African experience - overall description of African hunting and countries, and one about Safari rifles) he covered everything what a beginner "tabula rasa" type may look for.

Having said that. I find myself in situation that I will read Ruark, Hemigway, Capstick all over again, I will never read Boddington same book twice. Literary levels are not comparable.

I think the closest you can legally hunt to a gaur would be our banteng ?
View attachment 579540
View attachment 579541View attachment 579542

There are also various subspecies of the Banteng and the Gaur. When it comes to trophies, it is sometimes very difficult to differentiate between them.

I once had a conversation about this with the author of the book HORNED GIANTS-Hunting Eurasian Wild Cattle-by Capt. John H.Brant. I can recommend the book to anyone who is interested in hunting Eurasian buffaloes.

The famous picture of a Kouprey shot in Indochina, if I remember well, with a rifle MAS Fournier caliber 10,75x68 Mauser. A buffalo species of appearance extinct.

tumblr_mffuioIBB41rtlep5o2_1280.jpg

Thank you for starting the thread. watching with interest.

Hmmm…I had to shoot one of my Hereford cows between the eyes with a .22 LR once. Does that count? LOL!!!

I absolutely love hunting the wild bovines. My modest bag over the years (so far) includes

A few Cape buffalo
View attachment 579513
View attachment 579514
View attachment 579515
View attachment 579516
View attachment 579517
View attachment 579518
View attachment 579519
View attachment 579521
View attachment 579522
A few Asiatic water buffalo
View attachment 579523
View attachment 579524
View attachment 579525
View attachment 579526
1704865582892-png.579527

View attachment 579528
A Seladang in Chiangmai, Northern Thailand
View attachment 579531

In the false ceiling above my study room, I also have a few more albums with photographs my hunts for:
-A few more Cape buffalo
-An American bison
-A South Bengal Gaur (this one wasn't a hunt but had ambushed our unit during nighttime patrol in the Chittagong Hill Tracts during the 1971 Indo-Pak war and was shot by several of us during a random encounter)
- An Argentine buffalo
- An Australian Banteng

Please remind me on the 28th of this month. My son and daughter-in-law will return to the country and will help me find those albums. Then, I'll upload those pictures too.

I dream of someday hunting:
- An European bison
- An Australian scrub bull
- A West African forest buffalo (dwarf buffalo)

Among the wild bovine species which I've hunted so far, Seladang would have to be the most cunning. And unfortunately the largest and heaviest. To make matters worse, I was only armed with a .30-06 Springfield at that time.

P.S: If any of you gents would really like to hunt problem Gaur animals (seriously), do drop me a line sometime.
The old hunting pictures are always the most appealing to me. Something truly wild about them, a rare experience current day.

Hmmm…I had to shoot one of my Hereford cows between the eyes with a .22 LR once. Does that count? LOL!!!

Normally not, because the TS wrote clearly :

I'm thinking of wild species not those found in small parks/ranches.

Nevertheless, we take this shot of a cattle into account, after all done with a very marginal caliber for buffalo hunting.

Here is a screenshot of the SCI grouping for wild oxen of the world. I forgot about the takin but that's like chasing the markhor; way out of most of our capabilities.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 7.32.26 AM.png

To my knowledge, and as per my research, it is not possible to hunt gaur anywhere legally.

I have discussed this with few Bangladesh forum members in the past.

Moreover, in his book about Buffalo, Boddington, basically states the same - adding that this is a shame because gaur is not threatened.
There is occasional legal kill, in the countries of its natural range, as problematic animal, by local hunter.
Thats it.
There was a possibility to hunt gaur on some ranches in Texas, but I don't see this anymore.
You can certainly hunt them in Texas. There are some.

No, I've only hunted Cape buffalo and western Savannah buffalo thus far. I was intrigued by @TOBY458 stories of hunting the Asian buffalo in AU.

On the banteng, I have wondered why the costs are so much higher than a water buffalo. Is it supply/demand? Licensing costs? Remote logistics difficulties?

Kevin Robertson wrote a pretty good tale about hunting an old beef cow on his farm with a double rifle. I might be getting facts mixed up but I think that is correct.
Friend of mine killed a wood bison in Alaska which was not for the faint of heart. I think tags were hard to acquire
If you search for Gaur on YouTube there are some excellent videos on there, many involving tigers as well

Last edited:
I lived in Alaska for about 10 years and at that time they were talking about reintroducing the woods bison into some old areas where it used to be. Interesting subject. One good read on the topic is by Steven Rinella.

I think it was Rinella that hunted a wild old beef cow in Hawaii-it was surprisingly interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TimothyBrorn

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt