Hunting SA or "Wild" Africa - Which is Better

There are other advantages to hunting South Africa. I'm always there hunting late August and so far have only seen one mosquito ... a dead one in the sink when I first arrived at lodge on my first trip. It's generally cold enough that snakes are either underground or so sluggish they can't move. I have hunted some huge properties (my favorite is 167K acres with less than half huntable - rest inaccessible) and very rough terrain. My lodge often farmed me out to remote properties where I stayed with the owner and his family. Very, very much enjoyed that. Much more enjoyable being a part of a family than sitting around a lodge campfire with a bunch of rich noisy dudes getting drunk. And lordy, no shortage of game. Like mentioned above, I found the animals plenty wild and no one hunting the property but me. A couple of stalks were hardly challenging but most were very much a challenge. Beautiful country, lots of animals of all kinds that are not easy to hunt, wonderful people, ... and very affordable. What's not to like?
There are a lot of reasons to like hunting South Africa, but it’s a big place. The real advantage I see is it has more distinct landscapes than any other country in Africa to hunt also more outfitters to choose from. You will only find the family atmosphere on private land in Namibia or South Africa. However, several things you said are just incorrect if you don’t specify where you are hunting. From the couple photos you posted I’d assume you hunted somewhere in Karoo or free state. If you hunt lower elevation areas such as near Kruger it will be hot and you will see mosquitoes in August and possibly snakes. The ticks in coastal areas and reclaimed cattle areas that in South Africa that never get burnt and rarely freeze are the worst you will see anywhere in Africa. Camps on concession areas outside South Africa are generally booked as exclusive use, maybe 2 parties, and at very most in some camps maybe 4. There are outfitters in South Africa that take 10-20 clients on a busy week, so that’s the only place you will find “bunch of rich noisy dudes” getting drunk. The question is which is better wild Africa or South Africa. It seems most insisting South Africa is best haven’t hunted outside South Africa. There is a significantly different feel hunting in areas that still have wild lions and elephants that ranch hunting doesn’t compare to. Ranch hunting is fun, but you can’t compare until you’ve done both.

I agree: a fair comparison can only be made when both sides are experienced.

The trouble with making a fair comparison, for some of us, is funding the two sides to make that comparison. Ranch hunting is more affordable, plain and simple. I have had this discussion in various forms over the past week plus with my PH. We both would love to experience a tent camp that offers a truly wild hunt, but that comes at a higher cost. As I consider my own hunting future, I have enjoyed my two trips in South Africa enough to know this is my reality for now. And I am most assuredly happy and content with it.

Who knows? I am 56. Death is not knocking on my door just yet. Maybe my financial picture changes. Maybe my perspective changes, and with it my planning. I am just glad this part of Africa exists to provide folks like me the opportunity to experience it as something more than photos and stories on a website, even if it isn't the Africa of Hemingway and Roosevelt.

There are some really good post in the last two pages here that really sum this up, but since we all get to have our opinions and input I’ll give mine. Deer hunting in the US can’t be compared to hunting in africa…it’s for the most part stand hunting…I’ve never sat in one place for more than 1/2 hour break in africa, never hunted leopard but that is more comparable to whitetail hunting without the meat bait lol. I’ve hunted a couple of the largest fenced ranches in Namibia, and I’ve hunted wild africa in zim and moz. there is a difference in cost, I can only say I’m never hunting within a high fence again. If you do your homework the cost difference isn’t that much…dangerous game in wild areas is where things get more expensive.

If a young aspiring hunter asked me this question “if I can only take one trip to africa in my life, what should it be?” How would I answer that? The answer-spend your money on a wild africa wilderness plains game hunt and experience it as close to the old ways as possible and at least get to see some of the big 5 in the wild. Zim, moz from my own experience…and from what I’ve heard Botswana, Tanzania, caprivi …and I’m sure plenty more areas.

No disrespect or critisizm intended…I always find it interesting that most not all people from the US who now hunt Africa grew up hunting white tail dear. I have hunted them all over the US including 9 years in Texas where it is an industry. I have found it rare indeed to find people who have hunted a 50,000 acre ranch in the US. The majority have hunted 1,000 or less acres, 4,000 would be the average in Texas at least the 9 years I lived there for white tail. No one ever seems to complain about small acreage or fences for white tails yet they will complain about it when it comes to Africa for other animals.

For me I have found it is the quality and experience of the hunt period not the size of the acreage fenced or not fenced. I am not talking about incredibly small put and take game farms to be clear

Just my POV
Good points regarding US Whitetail hunting. Here in Pa, many/most of the monster bucks are arrowed in patches of “woods” landlocked by highways, businesses, and general suburban sprawl. Literally on single and double digit acre plots.

Last edited:
I agree: a fair comparison can only be made when both sides are experienced.

The trouble with making a fair comparison, for some of us, is funding the two sides to make that comparison. Ranch hunting is more affordable, plain and simple. I have had this discussion in various forms over the past week plus with my PH. We both would love to experience a tent camp that offers a truly wild hunt, but that comes at a higher cost. As I consider my own hunting future, I have enjoyed my two trips in South Africa enough to know this is my reality for now. And I am most assuredly happy and content with it.

Who knows? I am 56. Death is not knocking on my door just yet. Maybe my financial picture changes. Maybe my perspective changes, and with it my planning. I am just glad this part of Africa exists to provide folks like me the opportunity to experience it as something more than photos and stories on a website, even if it isn't the Africa of Hemingway and Roosevelt.

I think there is a great deal of window shopping associated with SA when we see game available on these ranches. Its safe to assume many get caught up with a large bag lists and the biggest bang for their buck rather then the entire hunting experience. I have gone down this path myself but realized it isn't what I really wanted to experience.

I recently listened to a podcast where African animal conservation was part of the topic. They touched on how the US is doing their best to pressure the hunting community into submission by banning importation of certain trophies. We all know this is a very real thing and its unfortunate our government can pressure smaller counties with little to no knowledge of how their conservation works. The one positive they pointed out in the podcast was many, later generation X's and millennials are spending more money on experiences vs buying an actual item. This is huge when it comes to hunting because many in these generations will still choose to hunt, even if they cant bring something back. In my opinion, there is a direct link to these age groups and where they want to hunt in Africa. I have spoken to many on this forum who are in this age group (including myself) who are ok with spending a little more money to experience something different then what SA has to offer, even if that means waiting longer to take that trip to make sure funds are available.

Good points regarding US Whitetail hunting. Here in Pa, many/most of the monster bucks are arrowed in patches of “woods” landlocked by highways, businesses, and general suburban sprawl. Literally on single and double digit acre plots.
I can’t see the comparison to fencing. These deer do get arrowed in very small patches of woods, but it’s not because they are fenced in and introduced. It’s because it’s most difficult areas to legally access either by permission or safety zones from houses so the hunting pressure is lowest in Pennsylvania. Also rifle hunting is much more difficult in these areas.

You’re right they are not technically “fenced in” or stocked but the deer are essentially limited in movement/protection/concealment. Isn’t that the knock on high- fenced hunts? And many of the RSA hunts are for indigenous animals. I willingly hunt (Buck) the big woods of Pa for the experience verses my neighborhood monsters knowing my success rate or deer size is limited. My ultimate point is an RSA hunt for an indigenous animal on 10’s of thousands of acres is far more sporting IMHO.

You’re right they are not technically “fenced in” or stocked but the deer are essentially limited in movement/protection/concealment. Isn’t that the knock on high- fenced hunts? And many of the RSA hunts are for indigenous animals. I willingly hunt (Buck) the big woods of Pa for the experience verses my neighborhood monsters knowing my success rate or deer size is limited. My ultimate point is an RSA hunt for an indigenous animal on 10’s of thousands of acres is far more sporting IMHO.
I can’t remember seeing high fenced African hunts criticized over a fair chase element inside the fence. That argument is used to defend hunting high fence. My objection to high fence in South Africa is when it is used to allow put and take practices to occur. I’m firmly in the wild Africa is better camp, but I would happy take 99.9% of RSA hunts over PA deer hunting!

There are some really good post in the last two pages here that really sum this up, but since we all get to have our opinions and input I’ll give mine. Deer hunting in the US can’t be compared to hunting in africa…it’s for the most part stand hunting…I’ve never sat in one place for more than 1/2 hour break in africa, never hunted leopard but that is more comparable to whitetail hunting without the meat bait lol. I’ve hunted a couple of the largest fenced ranches in Namibia, and I’ve hunted wild africa in zim and moz. there is a difference in cost, I can only say I’m never hunting within a high fence again. If you do your homework the cost difference isn’t that much…dangerous game in wild areas is where things get more expensive.

If a young aspiring hunter asked me this question “if I can only take one trip to africa in my life, what should it be?” How would I answer that? The answer-spend your money on a wild africa wilderness plains game hunt and experience it as close to the old ways as possible and at least get to see some of the big 5 in the wild. Zim, moz from my own experience…and from what I’ve heard Botswana, Tanzania, caprivi …and I’m sure plenty more areas.
Deer hunting in Eastern US MAY be "for the most part stand hunting." Not in the West. I have always stalked my deer. And I've shot over a hundred. Last year's was more than two miles from the truck.
20221031_131148.jpg

I hunt the coulees staying in the bottoms. Roam them all day if needed ... which is rare.

You’re not understanding the scenario. The deer are not constrained, they move between woodlots. Locals have often never seen the big bucks they are so secretive. The same scenario exists in much of the farmland I grew up on in Southern Ontario.

You’re not understanding the scenario. The deer are not constrained, they move between woodlots. Locals have often never seen the big bucks they are so secretive. The same scenario exists in much of the farmland I grew up on in Southern Ontario.
I bow hunt a very small patch of land between a few properties. The only deer I have seen twice on camera are the same few resident doe's. Most of the deer I have killed there have been later on in the season and the only time they were seen. I have gotten a few midnight trail cam pictures of bucks, and just one picture, so they were moving fast through the area. That's about as free range as anywhere I can think of.

No I get it. My point was some of these wood lots are not connected and whitetail are very territorial. My buddy has a wall full of trophy bucks taken from his brother’s backyard patch where he’s the only hunter with permission to hunt. Basically his private deer sanctuary. I’m unimpressed.

Funny how thread has became about deer, but so true and drives the wild vs fenced argument home, at least for me, its crazy how I feel ho hum about shooting a big blacktail on my buddies 100 acre farm, shotgun only area with live stock and near residences that I have sole permission to hunt on, if I was to shoot that same size deer in our mountains I would mount it for the wall and feel so different, what an accomplishment.

I guess its the same with my safaris in wild Namibia or Zim, I feel much different hunting there than when hunting SA.

MB

How would someone know which is better if they haven’t done both?
Clearly they would not. I am amused that there are so many posts condemning, opinions, statements for or against yet posters have no real life experience to back their statements/opinions.

Its like my neighbour saying he would never like to go on a safari. How does he know that???? Or I hate tomatoes but I have never eaten one.

Way of world in 2023.

MB

Clearly they would not. I am amused that there are so many posts condemning, opinions, statements for or against yet posters have no real life experience to back their statements/opinions.

Its like my neighbour saying he would never like to go on a safari. How does he know that???? Or I hate tomatoes but I have never eaten one.

Way of world in 2023.

MB
Well said.

First I lived in Zimbabwe. It is and still is a wild country!The land issue is pretty much done so it is very safe. Really always was for visitors.Lemco,I know it’s the Bubey Valley conservancy,is a wild place some One million acres double fenced electrified . The Black and White Rinos love that! Tons of lions, Buffalo and Leopard But give me Dande East or Chewore. I like hard not easy. I hate when politicians say this but having said that I love South Africa, The people,the history the hunting. Not into put and take but indigenous game. Nyala in Kwa-Zulu Natal you bet. Kudu and Bushbuck in the Limpopo. Again yes! If you listen to the outfitters and hunters on this platform my bet is you will never be disappointed!!!

If the price tag wasn't outer limits, I might be inclined to try the tent gig with lions keeping me up at night, villagers wandering through, dodging poachers' snares, etc. I've had my share of tent camp hunting back in the days I had livestock. But I was always alone, not hunting with a guide or merry band. Very hard to top those days.

My first trip to South Africa was a great experience. Four other hunters at the lodge but two of them were gone to remote locations almost the entire time. The other two were father and son. Next two trips I was the ONLY client. Most of those hunts I stayed on family farms away from the lodge. Never thought I would enjoy hunting with anyone but both those two PH's were great. Genuinely nice guys, not patronizing arse kissers. I ate ham & cheese sandwiches for lunch every day (if I ate lunch) and totally fine with it. No tablecloths, wine glasses, cigars (ugh!), etc. Waste of time and staff's energy. I'm there to hunt. Two stalks were so-so but the other 22 animals were challenging very wild animals. That's a pretty good ratio. Too bad I had such a lousy experience with the taxidermist and shipper. That almost wrecked it. So ... why should I spend a lot more money someplace else and risk maybe not having a good time? I'm into the personal family atmosphere and hard hunting, not the pretend romantic scene. But that's just me.

For me it comes down to the money. If money wasn’t an issue I’d be going to “wild” Africa and hunting dangerous game. Unfortunately it is an issue but thank God there are excellent outfitters in SA that offer large concessions and cater to small groups. I would rather spend more time in SA hunting and enjoying the beauty it has to offer than saving up my whole life for one or two trips to “wild” Africa.

For me it comes down to the money. If money wasn’t an issue I’d be going to “wild” Africa and hunting dangerous game. Unfortunately it is an issue but thank God there are excellent outfitters in SA that offer large concessions and cater to small groups. I would rather spend more time in SA hunting and enjoying the beauty it has to offer than saving up my whole life for one or two trips to “wild” Africa.
Does it come down to money or not being a priority? If a person is content to only hunt South Africa that’s fine. I really think the eastern cape gives the best value for the experience for your money in Africa. However money has been used as an excuse here multiple times. There is a Caprivi plains game hunt posted here for $8000 with quality outfitter and a good buffalo hunt in quality area in Zimbabwe is right at $15,000. If you can afford to hunt South Africa multiple times you will not need to save your whole life to hunt a wild area once IF it’s actually a priority for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IvoryCante

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!