Hunting SA or "Wild" Africa - Which is Better

@BSO Dave First, I have always said for a family vacation or a hunter concentrating just on plains game RSA is a place I would recommend to people.

Secondly, in regard to DG hunting in Zim, there have been hunts, all in, for elephant, buffalo etc. posted on these very forums for about $10K. Albeit, they are not for trophy animals, but still a wild hunt. Do you consider a $10K hunt affordable only by the rich? The same people that complain about similar costs are driving $60K+ SUVs and trucks.

Also, people that do travel internationally and hunt are NOT your average Joe living paycheck to paycheck in order to pay bills. They have disposable income. Even RSA prices are not that inexpensive for someone struggling to pay bills.

@BSO Dave , I would have to agree with @Tanks and @375Fox on the affordability of Zimbabwean DG hunts.

Now granted, anyone who can travel internationally and hunt anything, is likely to be in the upper 50% of median household income. So in that respect you could claim that you have to be 'rich' to go hunt DG in 'wild places'.

But I stand by my claim (and @Tanks and @375Fox) that anyone who can afford to go on a 7-day 7 species PG hunt in SA, also can afford (with perhaps a bit more saving) to hunt elephant in Zimbabwe. It might not be record book material, and perhaps you might not be able to bring the trophy back (if there is any) but it'll have a long nose and tower over you.

Secondly, in regard to DG hunting in Zim, there have been hunts, all in, for elephant, buffalo etc. posted on these very forums for about $10K. Albeit, they are not for trophy animals, but still a wild hunt. Do you consider a $10K hunt affordable only by the rich? The same people that complain about similar costs are driving $60K+ SUVs and trucks.

Let's assume of he sake of argument that $10 for a DG hunt in Zim is the real figure..

Let's then add in the cost of flight(s) into Zim and transfer costs to the hunting destination. Then let's add in the miscellaneous costs for food & accommodations for the extra travel days. Then let's add in the cost to get your trophy parts back to the USA from Zim. How much more have we spent above the original $10K at this point compared to a $10K hunt in RSA?

Nobody driving a $60K truck is complaining about the cost.. Most hard-working blue-collar folks can afford a $60K truck and live in a nice house and still never be in the realm of doing a $10K DG safari in Zimbabwe which will in reality be closer to $20K when all is said and done.. Yes, you are out of touch..

Also, people that do travel internationally and hunt are NOT your average Joe living paycheck to paycheck in order to pay bills. They have disposable income. Even RSA prices are not that inexpensive for someone struggling to pay bills.

I never said anything about the "average Joe" living paycheck to paycheck... Unfortunately, for those folks Africa, or any other international destination will be a dream that they will never be able to afford.. Let's Go Brandon!

The vast majority of those who can "afford" Africa are working folks with good jobs who still have to save for years of they want to go to Africa. Ask any RSA outfitter on here who the bulk of their first-time African safari clientele are and they will affirm that they are by and large, middle-to upper-middle class folks hunting plainsgame.

Can you please share an example of your homework? If you have done the hunt and the actual cost differences were minimal even after the last of your trophies arrived back in the USA, I think many of us here would very much appreciate getting that information. The total cost comparison I am referring to is the most commonly sought after African experience for the average hunter(s) which is a 7-10 day plainsgame hunt in RSA for 1 hunter with 4-7 trophy animals on his wishlist compared to that same hunt pretty much anywhere outside of the RSA with the possible exception of Namibia.

I am honestly not trying to be argumentative with you, but, not only have I done the homework, I have done the trips a few times over. (My apologies but no photos will be provided for proof)....;)The cost of the daily rates alone in Mozambique or Tanzania for example, exceeded the total package cost inclusive of airfare compared to the first couple of RSA hunts that I have done. Then, add in a spouse, a non-hunting guest, or a couple for kids and your cost differences expand exponentially. Unfortunately, to that point, a family safari in "wild Africa" then becomes out of reach for the average working class American family.

With that being said, in no way am I implying the experiences between all the various African options are the same.. I have enjoyed immensely every single safari I have ever been on regardless of the destination in Africa. Each experience was unique with its own pros & cons. However, if we are comparing the true costs, start to finish, apples to apples between these destinations, the total cost not just less, but significantly less in RSA in my experiences.
Coutada 9 with Mokore Safaris should be considered by anyone looking to hunt without fencing of any kind. Is it exactly the same price as the average SA experience? No but the bit of extra money might be worth it to you.

Another thing left unsaid in this whole open vs fenced debate is that some people are just programmed to always consider price as their number one consideration, even if they could afford a C9 hunt or any hunt. I get the sense that there are several people like that on this site and in any situation. We’ve all been around people that are always looking for the next “screaming deal.” I had a neighbor that was that way. He had money but just couldn’t bring himself to do a deal unless he got the absolute cheapest deal. I don’t live my life that way or my finances, even earlier in my life when I had less resources. To each his own.

I would also like to clear something up that @Tanks has mentioned more than once on this site about Johan Calitz and his Botswana elephant pricing. As someone who has ACTUALLY HUNTED on that safari, it is wrong to think or imply that the PHs and hunters look at each elephant and then figure out the price category of ivory the elephant is carrying. The base pricing is a set at a level that would cover the vast majority of bulls seen. If you kill an exceptional bull, there is a sliding scale that goes up 10 pounds at a time. However, not even ONCE did we ever look at a bull and talk about price. It is not something that I considered when looking at a bull. I knew that the chances of killing a 90+ pound bull were quite small but could happen and it would be a hardship for me to pay the extra fee but somehow I would have gotten it figured out when I got back home. If you can’t deal with that, don’t go but don’t bad mouth someone who goes or the outfitter. I killed a 76 pounder and had to pay a little extra. A deal is a deal. I see absolutely nothing wrong with Johan’s formula and to compare it to the inch by inch rhino or buffalo hunting in SA where known, previously measured animals are “hunted” is wrong. Johan is one of the best operators in Africa. If you don’t like or don’t want to deal with the uncertainty of YOUR choice when you pull the trigger, fine. If you can’t handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen. But I will not stand for someone on this forum to disparage Johan’s character or operation over a pricing method for some of the largest elephant left in Africa.

As long as I am on a rant here, I like both @375Fox and @IvW and have respect for each. I will continue to learn from them. We are all entitled to our opinions but we can all get a bit judgmental and carried away. Perhaps both should consider that as I sometimes need to and I sometimes fail. Quite frankly, @IvW , you can get a bit rough and I have witnessed you use the word “idiot” and sometimes you are rude to people that don’t know as much about a subject as you. Some humility may be in order for everyone.

Myself, I prefer open, unfenced areas, as does my friend, @375Fox. That’s just me. I did kill a gemsbok in Botswana behind a fence in 18,000 acres. Not my favorite but would do it again. I’m currently looking at rhino safaris in SA. I understand it will be fenced but I am looking for the largest property I can find that I can still afford. We will see what develops.

Last edited:
But I stand by my claim that anyone who can afford to go on a 7-day 7 species PG hunt in SA, also can afford (with perhaps a bit more saving) to hunt elephant in Zimbabwe.

I think you are missing the point, and comparing a single buffalo hunt or non-trophy elephant hunt in Zim is NOT the same thing as a 7-day multiple species hunt in RSA/Nam..

The main reason Africa is appealing to so many hunters is for the value by which the hunter can actually take 5, 6, 7, or more plainsgame species for under $10K compared to the opportunity to take only 1 animal on a high-end outfitted North American hunt.. For argument sake, that would be like comparing a package whereby a North American outfitter was offering a package deal with a trophy mule deer, a whitetail, an elk, an antelope, and a black bear for under $10K.. Obviously that's impossible in almost any destination besides Africa. And, that is why Africa is so appealing to a broader spectrum hunters

Too many folks here going off on tangents and getting caught up in the semantics.. Once again, I am not claiming that a plainsgame hunt in RSA/Nam is the same experience as "wild Africa" destination. All I am saying is that there is no better value dollar for dollar than your average 7-10 day plainsgame hunt in RSA or Namibia. I am not now, nor have I ever made my argument a philosophical one about fence vs. "wild"... I am strictly speaking in terms of overall value. It's up to each individual to determine for himself the non-tangible pros and cons of the various experiences..

Last edited:
Need to point out that many of us that hunt "wild Africa" are not rich. For DG, Zimbabwe prices are very reasonable. Heck, just look at some of the ads here from Zimbabwean operators for tuskless elephants or buffalo.
@BSO Dave , I would have to agree with @Tanks and @375Fox on the affordability of Zimbabwean DG hunts.

Now granted, anyone who can travel internationally and hunt anything, is likely to be in the upper 50% of median household income. So in that respect you could claim that you have to be 'rich' to go hunt DG in 'wild places'.

But I stand by my claim (and @Tanks and @375Fox) that anyone who can afford to go on a 7-day 7 species PG hunt in SA, also can afford (with perhaps a bit more saving) to hunt elephant in Zimbabwe. It might not be record book material, and perhaps you might not be able to bring the trophy back (if there is any) but it'll have a long nose and tower over you.
This is exactly what I have seen myself . Most South African Buffalo hunts which were behind a fence, but as real as they could make them cost more then my originally quoted Zim buff hunt. I have since up the days and added more DG animals to my hunt hopes so the numbers would not be the same. Flights for me to Zim are the same to joburg. Camp transfer is a bit more money than your standard SA hunt. The rest of the costs are the same. So a few bucks more and you can hunt a non fenced area for DG. I think people just need to do their homework and they will find what they want in the end

I think you are missing the point, and comparing a single buffalo hunt or non-trophy elephant hunt in Zim is NOT the same thing as a 7-day multiple species hunt in RSA/Nam..

The main reason Africa is appealing to so many hunters is for the value by which the hunter can actually take 5, 6, 7, or more plainsgame species for under $10K compared to the opportunity to take only 1 animal on a high-end outfitted North American hunt.. For argument sake, that would be like comparing a package whereby a North American outfitter was offering a package deal with a trophy mule deer, a whitetail, an elk, an antelope, and a black bear for under $10K.. Obviously that's impossible in almost any destination besides Africa. And, that is why Africa is so appealing to a broader spectrum hunters

Too many folks here going off on tangents and getting caught up in the semantics.. Once again, I am not claiming that a plainsgame hunt in RSA/Nam is the same experience as "wild Africa" destination. All I am saying is that there is no better value dollar for dollar than your average 7-10 day plainsgame hunt in RSA or Namibia. I am not now, nor have I ever made my argument a philosophical one about fence vs. "wild"... I am strictly speaking in terms of overall value. It's up to each individual to determine for himself the non-tangible pros and cons of the various experiences..
Is a hunt for “5, 6, 7 or more plains game species for under $10k” in RSA of greater value than a hunt for wild buffalo or wild elephant in Zim (say 10 days each)? I sincerely doubt you’re getting the most desirable plains game species in that deal. In terms of value of the animal itself coupled with the experience, for me, that’s a resounding “no”. Even though the Zim DG hunt is twice the cost it is still of more value in my eyes and worth the wait (presumably twice as long of a wait). Quality over quantity. The American consumer has had it backwards for a long time

Last edited:
You make a very valid point, and I should have been more clear. There are indeed outfitters based within SA who either have concessions or have quota on concessions beyond the traditional game ranches of South Africa.

The repeat client to whom I refer is like an acquaintance here in this area. He has been to Africa three times and always to the same lodge. He has pretty much taken their game list to include all the multi-hued fantasy species. He recently made a comment that he had nothing else to hunt. His game room is quite impressive.

My only point is that there is a huge difference between a collection of game animals and a collection of experiences.

As a hunting consultant going on 15 years now, I believe that I have encountered just about every type of hunter there is in terms of what they are personally looking for in their own experiences, and some are far more adventurous than others. Many folks like the acquaintance you refer to find an outfitter that they like for whatever reasons and just feel content in that familiarity. They have no desire to risk for lack of a better term, that contentment they have found with that familiarity. I don't think anyone can argue with the logic in that. However, I do agree that at some point they are likely missing out on other new and exciting adventures and destinations assuming that said outfitter is limited in their ability to accomodate them.

I only wanted to offer the perspective of the flip side of that demonstrating where a rapport of trust and familiarity with the same outfitter or PH can be very appealing and also very advantageous provided the outfitter can offer the diversity. I consider myself very lucky to have found one of a small community of African outfitters who can offer that diversity of experiences to their clientele.

I appreciate you clarifying your commentary, and I certainly agree that a collection of experiences is far better than a collection of trophies. Very well stated!

...But I will not stand for someone on this forum to disparage Johan’s character or operation over a pricing method for some of the largest elephant left in Africa.

Did you read my post in its entirety? I did mention that he waived that extra fee.

My not booking with him had nothing to do with that, but the overall pricing structure. I felt that the outfitter has to have some skin in the game, and I did not feel like paying $74K in fees for a 14 day hunt that did not come across a shootable elephant. An expensive walkabout. I'd have gone for a higher trophy fee and a bit more equitable cost distribution with the end result still being the $84K he charges. (2023 pricing). A $10K trophy fee refund was not acceptable to me for an unsuccessful hunt.

I am not asking for a guaranteed hunt in a wild area. However, he is advertising and justifying his prices due to the alleged abundance of shootable large tuskers. Well, if that is so then he should also share some of the risk in that, otherwise it becomes a very expensive hike for the client if the hunt is unsuccessful. Not to mention the client's cost is not just the hunt fee. Add other expenses like airfare to get there, charters and sundry fees and the cost climbs to over $100K. Which I was willing to pay if it was not for the sticking point mentioned above.

Not agreeing with someone's pricing structure is not disparaging them or their character by the way. It is just disagreeing period. Methinks, you protest too much.

Is a hunt for “5, 6, 7 or more plains game species for under $10k” in RSA of greater value than a hunt for wild buffalo or wild elephant in Zim (say 10 days each)? I sincerely doubt you’re getting the most desirable plains game species in that deal. In terms of value of the animal itself coupled with the experience, for me, that’s a resounding “no”. Quality over quantity. The American consumer has had it backwards for a long time

Are you guys even reading my previous posts before offering your comments? You are completely missing the point of my posts...

To reference your own words above: "for me, that's a resounding no"... This is your personal preference which is fine for you, but your personal perspective is NOT what the vast majority of first-time African safari clients go to Africa for... Most are looking for that overall value in a first (and probably last) experience compared to any other hunt they could do elsewhere.. Of those that do go for that first plainsgame hunt, there is a certainly a smaller percentage that return to hunt more plainsgame or "move up" to dangerous game. In those circumstances, destinations other than RSA come into consideration by some which is great, but not relevant to the the original discussion of true cost comparisons between these destinations.

As far as the opportunity of getting 5-7 different species of desirable quality trophy plainsgame for under $10K, is is absolutely obtainable, and likely the rule rather than the exception... What exactly is your definition of desirable? 90%+ of the 7-day plainsgame packages offered on this site by very reputable outfitters attest to that.. I never suggested the typical plainsgame package includes 5-7 species equatable to sable, kudu, or eland prices, but you can certainly expect to take one or two of the bigger species along with a zebra, wildebeest, impala, blesbok, or warthog etc., all of which are on the "desirable" list of most first-timers.. "Desirable" is subjective to each individual hunters goals, and has nothing to do with the trophy fee.

Most are looking for that overall value in a first (and probably last) experience compared to any other hunt they could do elsewhere..
And what do you consider value? Because there is far higher reward vs risk? I know personally of 3 hunters who went to SA who did not like the hunt. They did not like the fences and they’d rather choose a free range elk hunt which costs MORE than all 6 of their SA plains game, and there’s no guarantee for an elk regardless of price. You have to remember there are a whole lot of folks who want to actually hunt and will do whatever is necessary to hunt in the purest form rather than spend money to hang animals on the wall.

For $10K you can get it elsewhere as well. Let @spike.t book your next hunt in Zambia ;)

I have no doubt that @spike.t, along with many others in Zambia or elsewhere offer an excellent experience, but the fact is that in a true straight-up cost-only comparison, it's going to cost more.. I am not talking out of my ass here.. I have been to these places several times. It simply costs more to get there, and things cost more when you get there. Everyone one here who is challenging my perspective is completely disregarding the logistical costs of travel, accommodation, permitting, licenses, trophy care, ect., that make up the bulk of the cost difference I am referring to.. There is no getting around that, and all of the "well, what abouts" in regard to the experience itself is not part of my argument. That's completely different discussion.

And what do you consider value? Because there is far higher reward vs risk? I know personally of 3 hunters who went to SA who did not like the hunt. They did not like the fences and they’d rather choose a free range elk hunt which costs MORE than all 6 of their SA plains game, and there’s no guarantee for an elk regardless of price. You have to remember there are a whole lot of folks who want to actually hunt and will do whatever is necessary to hunt in the purest form rather than spend money to hang animals on the wall.

Value in pure terms of what you get for your dollar in comparison.. I've demonstrated the cost comparisons in referencing an all-inclusive, RSA hunt compared to any other outfitted hunt elsewhere in several previous posts that you are welcomed and encouraged to re-read..

In specific regard to the 3 hunters you mention who did not like their RSA hunting experience, I would say that they likely did not do their due diligence in thoroughly researching either the hunting methods, the sizes of the hunting areas, the outfitter, or all of the above.. Hunting fenced game areas is a personal choice that is not for everybody, which is fine.. I was even squeamish of the idea when I did my first RSA safari. It wasn't until I got there that I realized I was not cheating myself on the challenge or the reward... If those hunters you mention were opposed to hunting managed game behind fences, I would have to ask why did they go in the first place? If they were unaware and surprised by the fences, then they certainly did not do their research.. Furthermore, if they could afford high end elk hunts worth more than 6 African plainsgame hunts, why didn't they go to "wild Africa" in the first place?

The fact is that the VAST majority of folks who visit Africa and hunt RSA in particular are extremely pleased with their overall experience which is yet another big reason why it's so appealing.. It's actually pretty difficulty to find a less than glowing review among any of the reputable, well-established African outfitters. Furthermore, many folks going to RSA on a plainsgame hunt are also enjoying the many non-hunting and cultural attractions that most of the outfitters provide, and not just collecting heads.. As you alluded to, anyone going to Africa (or anywhere else for that matter) just to collect trophies is missing out on much of what the entire experience could be.. Yet, this is just as true for "wild Africa" as it is for RSA..

In your last sentence you reference those certain folks who desire to hunt in "the purist form" whatever that is? I would first ask what is their definition of a "pure" form of hunting. I would then refer them to any of the dozens of threads on here debating the definition of "fair chase"... Point being, if you are inferring that RSA does not offer fair chase opportunities, I would say you obviously don't have too much experience hunting there..

Coutada 9 with Mokore Safaris should be considered by anyone looking to hunt without fencing of any kind. Is it exactly the same price as the average SA experience? No but the bit of extra money might be worth it to you.

Another thing left unsaid in this whole open vs fenced debate is that some people are just programmed to always consider price as their number one consideration, even if they could afford a C9 hunt or any hunt. I get the sense that there are several people like that on this site and in any situation. We’ve all been around people that are always looking for the next “screaming deal.” I had a neighbor that was that way. He had money but just couldn’t bring himself to do a deal unless he got the absolute cheapest deal. I don’t live my life that way or my finances, even earlier in my life when I had less resources. To each his own.

I would also like to clear something up that @Tanks has mentioned more than once on this site about Johan Calitz and his Botswana elephant pricing. As someone who has ACTUALLY HUNTED on that safari, it is wrong to think or imply that the PHs and hunters look at each elephant and then figure out the price category of ivory the elephant is carrying. The base pricing is a set at a level that would cover the vast majority of bulls seen. If you kill an exceptional bull, there is a sliding scale that goes up 10 pounds at a time. However, not even ONCE did we ever look at a bull and talk about price. It is not something that I considered when looking at a bull. I knew that the chances of killing a 90+ pound bull were quite small but could happen and it would be a hardship for me to pay the extra fee but somehow I would have gotten it figured out when I got back home. If you can’t deal with that, don’t go but don’t bad mouth someone who goes or the outfitter. I killed a 76 pounder and had to pay a little extra. A deal is a deal. I see absolutely nothing wrong with Johan’s formula and to compare it to the inch by inch rhino or buffalo hunting in SA where known, previously measured animals are “hunted” is wrong. Johan is one of the best operators in Africa. If you don’t like or don’t want to deal with the uncertainty of YOUR choice when you pull the trigger, fine. If you can’t handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen. But I will not stand for someone on this forum to disparage Johan’s character or operation over a pricing method for some of the largest elephant left in Africa.

As long as I am on a rant here, I like both @375Fox and @IvW and have respect for each. I will continue to learn from them. We are all entitled to our opinions but we can all get a bit judgmental and carried away. Perhaps both should consider that as I sometimes need to and I sometimes fail. Quite frankly, @IvW , you can get a bit rough and I have witnessed you use the word “idiot” and sometimes you are rude to people that don’t know as much about a subject as you. Some humility may be in order for everyone.

Myself, I prefer open, unfenced areas, as does my friend, @375Fox. That’s just me. I did kill a gemsbok in Botswana behind a fence in 18,000 acres. Not my favorite but would do it again. I’m currently looking at rhino safaris in SA. I understand it will be fenced but I am looking for the largest property I can find that I can still afford. We will see what develops.
Just to clear lVW made a general statement that’s bad. 375fox makes a frontal assault and that’s ok. Did I get that right?

Just to clear lVW made a general statement that’s bad. 375fox makes a frontal assault and that’s ok. Did I get that right?
I was referring to his body of work on this site, not just this thread.

I have no doubt that @spike.t, along with many others in Zambia or elsewhere offer an excellent experience, but the fact is that in a true straight-up cost-only comparison, it's going to cost more.. I am not talking out of my ass here.. I have been to these places several times. It simply costs more to get there, and things cost more when you get there. Everyone one here who is challenging my perspective is completely disregarding the logistical costs of travel, accommodation, permitting, licenses, trophy care, ect., that make up the bulk of the cost difference I am referring to.. There is no getting around that, and all of the "well, what abouts" in regard to the experience itself is not part of my argument. That's completely different discussion.

Value in pure terms of what you get for your dollar in comparison.. I've demonstrated the cost comparisons in referencing an all-inclusive, RSA hunt compared to any other outfitted hunt elsewhere in several previous posts that you are welcomed and encouraged to re-read..

In specific regard to the 3 hunters you mention who did not like their RSA hunting experience, I would say that they likely did not do their due diligence in thoroughly researching either the hunting methods, the sizes of the hunting areas, the outfitter, or all of the above.. Hunting fenced game areas is a personal choice that is not for everybody, which is fine.. I was even squeamish of the idea when I did my first RSA safari. It wasn't until I got there that I realized I was not cheating myself on the challenge or the reward... If those hunters you mention were opposed to hunting managed game behind fences, I would have to ask why did they go in the first place? If they were unaware and surprised by the fences, then they certainly did not do their research.. Furthermore, if they could afford high end elk hunts worth more than 6 African plainsgame hunts, why didn't they go to "wild Africa" in the first place?

The fact is that the VAST majority of folks who visit Africa and hunt RSA in particular are extremely pleased with their overall experience which is yet another big reason why it's so appealing.. It's actually pretty difficulty to find a less than glowing review among any of the reputable, well-established African outfitters. Furthermore, many folks going to RSA on a plainsgame hunt are also enjoying the many non-hunting and cultural attractions that most of the outfitters provide, and not just collecting heads.. As you alluded to, anyone going to Africa (or anywhere else for that matter) just to collect trophies is missing out on much of what the entire experience could be.. Yet, this is just as true for "wild Africa" as it is for RSA..

In your last sentence you reference those certain folks who desire to hunt in "the purist form" whatever that is? I would first ask what is their definition of a "pure" form of hunting. I would then refer them to any of the dozens of threads on here debating the definition of "fair chase"... Point being, if you are inferring that RSA does not offer fair chase opportunities, I would say you obviously don't have too much experience hunting there..

I have no problem with RSA, but your broad generalizations of the relative cost of hunting PG in other countries are just that, broad generalizations. I can assure you that you can hunt on large Botswana ranches, and even areas of Namibia, just as cost effectively as you can hunt RSA.

On my ONE PG hunt this past June in RSA (Eastern Cape) on a 75K acre ranch plus a couple of other properties, I had the BEST big game hunting experience in my life. High fenced externally, but never saw the fences except entering or leaving the property. Maybe it's because I'm naive since having never hunted in Africa before, but it was what I could afford. The $6400 10-day Safari for twelve animals is actually an $11K adventure after including the travel agency and gun fees, airfare, tips, bribes and payoffs (kidding on the last two). That's not including bringing back any trophies, which so far is $3400 for the taxidermy and waiting for the shipping estimate. So, probably approaching $17K for the entire thing. Not chump change for me. But, when you've been chasing elk, deer and pronghorn your entire hunting life on DIY mostly public land hunts WHEN you can draw a tag, my PG hunt was a real treat. Having a guide and hunting on private land and not having a BUNCH of other hunters after the same game you are at the same time was wonderful, not to mention the almost "decadent" accommodations. LOL. To the many of you that have hunted Africa many times and probably in more "wild" venues, this may even seem boorish, but it wasn't to me and I can't wait to go back and hunt SOMEWHERE in Africa again!

This is the old age argument of quantity and getting the most bang (pun intended) for the buck. Yes, one can get 10 suits from Walmart If one is satisfied with their Walmart suit, then so be it. Luckily hunters have many options still for every budget.

One can also combine hunts so cost of getting there is free. My flight to Zim had an hour long stop each way at Lusaka. So, after my elephant and buffalo hunts were over (plus a fair number of PG that I had time for), on the way back I stopped at Lusaka and @spike.t picked me up to go to his place for sable and lechwe.

Edit: One thing we are straying from is the OP's original question. It wasn't which was better in the terms of just price, but as overall experience. Being inexpensive does not make something better. I have seen many RSA ads for X animals in 7 days for $3-$6K range. Those seem to be either cull hunts or cheaper animals (impala, warthog etc.). Great for new hunters, but it does not make RSA the cat's meow.

I will say it again though, for a first-time hunter RSA can be a great experience.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelvinaQua

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg