Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
CHASA, BASA, NHSA
Hunted
RSA, Zimbabwe, Botswana and Namibia
Let’s start of and state this post may be misunderstood, cause some people to take offense or people to disagree, all for which I do apologize in advance. I am writing this as my opinion and not that of any other person, association that I may be affiliated to etc. I am not attacking the narrative or opinion of any group or person. Take it with a pinch of salt if you wish… The idea is to just get people to think about their own opinions and views and maybe cause them to think in a different way on some of these topics. I look forward to other people’s opinions and viewpoints as well, as I will be challenged and learn from them no doubt.

Over the last few years I have read various forum threads, listened to foreign hunters around campfires, watched YouTube videos etc. and as South African, one that loves my country (as I assume all other AH members do of their own countries, specifically the Americans), this is something I want to write about. When I refer to foreign hunters herein, please read it as Americans, Europeans, South Americans etc.

Fenced / Unfenced and Limpopo province of RSA getting specific slack

In recent months there has been various opinions on hunting on fenced farms, or as the USA folks refer to it “ranches”. Let’s call it “Fenced Farms” for this discussion. Then in comparison and always compared to the Fenced Farms, there are the hunts which take place in wilderness areas, areas such BVC, Selous, Niassa, Zambesi Valley, Caprivi, Matetsi, Dande, Zambesi Delta and maybe even the greater Kruger area etc. You may get the point, there are many more concessions and wilderness areas I have not mentioned. Let’s call these areas for the rest of this discussion “Safari Areas”.

Safari Area hunting is just spectacular, why? It is just the vastness, the wildness of it all. The setting, the area, the wildness. Sitting at night and hearing the laugh of a hyena, the rumbling of Elephants or the roar of a wild lion. Hunting for animals in an area where there are dangerous animals has some allure and adrenaline pumping factor to. But do not be naïve, not all Safari Areas are the same and almost all areas have their own issues. For those who have hunted in these areas would know all too well, you have stalked an Elephant Bull for hours, not seen any sign of people, and once the bull is down, people just appear out of nowhere. Or you hunt between the villages, their cattle and goats. This is Africa.

In comparison, hunting on Fenced Farms is perceived as the stepchild of hunting places, there are so many condescending remarks being made to other hunters who hunt on Fenced Farms. A lot of people think this type of hunting is beneath them, unethical and unsportsmanlike – it is seen as the vermin of hunting for some...

However, before I explore the reasons for the dislike by some hunters of Fenced Areas, I believe it is important to first understand why there are Fenced Areas and why people hunt thon these farms.

Costs - Most South African hunters cannot afford a hunt in a Safari Area – it is just too expensive. These hunts are aimed at foreign hunters and priced accordingly. However, I know these hunts are too expensive for the average foreign hunter as well. As an example, one could get a $5000 buffalo hunt in RSA or a $15000 - $20 000 buffalo hunt in Dande/Omay, which still excludes all the travel. Why are there different prices, well that is open for another day’s discussion, the point I want to make is that there is a demand for both. The one hunt has more demand than the other, meaning, for those who studied or understand economics, there would be a higher supply as well – you can guess which. This example is not limited to only buffalo, but to all plains game hunting. Simply put, the foreign and South African hunters’ demand for a cheaper and more affordable hunt has caused a boom in the South African market to supply these hunts. This supply has caused farms to be converted to hunting farms and others have realized there is a demand for animals, which on a normal farm with the amount of hunting, normal breeding would not have kept up with demand. I would guess the majority of people reading this, would have hunted on South African farms because it is cheaper, and availability is easier.

Due to this demand for cheaper hunts and the South African (and Namibian) hunting industry being able to provide for it, there has been a flourish in hunting farms, but more interesting and important an increase in animal numbers. There has been a lot of reporting and research that has proved and shown how over the last 20 – 30 years ago, animal numbers of almost all huntable species have increased. The converse ironically has also been shown to be true in countries such as Kenya and temporary in Botswana, where hunting has been banned. For those who have followed the entire CBL debate this was one of the arguments for pro-CBL side – but let’s not get into another CBL discussion.

Legislation - The hunting and wildlife industry in South Africa was not as big as it is today. Is it only due to hunting and the perceived increase demand? No not really. Supply as the converse to the demand should also be considered. In South Africa, Namibia and to a lesser degree in Zimbabwe, something interest has been taking place for the last 40 odd years. These countries have each passed legislation that has transferred the ownership of and use of wildlife from the state to that of the owner of the property. This has further encouraged and grown the hunting industry, tourism, sale of animal products etc. Before the legalization, the wildlife was seen as res nullius, meaning without formal owner. Therefore, now the owners of private land have the full right and control to any wildlife on the property, were previously they did not. Furthermore, since 1980s, under the umbrella of various community-based resource policies, the right to use has been delegated, adopted and can be managed by people living on communal lands, meaning the communal lands and people staying there are the quasi owners of the animals. This is quite common in Zimbabwe. Outside these 3 countries, other African nations have not followed suite and have their own strategies. Kenya in 1977, and for a few years Botswana, banned sports hunting. Since then, Kenya’s elephant and wildlife populations has seen probably the worst decline in numbers of any other African country. In essence it has been a 40-year experiment, showing how giving rights to landowners, has increased numbers, created jobs, protected and increased animal numbers, has created a development of farming land and infrastructure of otherwise barren land earmarked for cattle farming or just plain land banking.

Today, the wildlife is seen as an asset is protected by the private landowners. South Africa, with the majority of land being farms, has seen a massive increase in wildlife numbers, conservation efforts and other habitat and ecological successes. As an attorney I would also be disingenuous if I did not mention, that fencing of the private owned farms is a requirement for certain rights to be granted to the landowner. If a farm is not fenced, by fenced I do not mean cattle fence, and it is open to wildlife to migrate, these rights are not automatically. Only in the formal hunting season, landowners whose farms are not fenced may legally hunt wildlife on the open farms. Only then can they sell it too hunters. However, they and the hunter need to obtain hunting licenses – like what you find in the USA. Can you just imagine a farmer 2 farms adjacent buying a priced Sable, only for it to jump a few cattle fences and be hunted by the farmer who cannot believe his luck, who hunted a migrating sable on his farm…

Wishlist’s - And now another major driving force, and maybe just the pivot for fenced hunting and why fenced hunting farms are flourishing and exist. Admit it, most foreign hunters, when they come to Africa, have a “list” of species they wish to hunt. Africa has turned into a Walmart for foreign hunters. Again, why do I say this, I also have a list that I wish to hunt, what makes me better than a foreign hunter then? Easy, I live in Africa, and I can hunt anytime I wish on the fenced farms throughout southern Africa. Whereas foreign hunters cannot, they may only have the opportunity to do 1 hunting trip and they want to hunt 14 animals on a 10-day trip. For a hunt in a Safari Area, this is a bit challenging, why? The number of species of animals are limited to the area. Yes, you may have thousands of Wildebeest, buffalo etc. but a Grey Rhebok/Suni is not indigenous to Botswana. This has yet again caused a demand for a certain type of hunt, which the South African farmers and ultimately outfitters are all too willing to supply. The Walmart was created. A fenced farm. Now throw in that each foreign (and South Africa) hunter wants a 55”+ Kudu, what is the farmer to do? Either he can, as is the norm in the Safari Areas, state he has a quote/availability of 2 Kudu’s per year and potentially lose a lot of clients and hunters; or he can provide for the demand by buying in animals. It pays the bills and the landcruiser, why worry what 20 other foreign hunters who hunt in Dande think, the 80 other foreign hunters do not give a damn and enjoy hunting on the stocked farm.

I am fully aware the preceding paragraph has caused many an argument between hunters, anti-hunter and conservationists, whether the conservationist is a hunter or a non-hunter. Whether you agree or not, the fact remains, there are many more hunting and breeding farms in South Africa then there were 30 years ago – and this is mainly due to demand and having the right to supply this demand through ownership. There are other reasons as well, but I believe these are the major reasons.

The one unfortunate, for me as South African, consequence of this is, that farms in South African are quickly picking up on the demand and changing to only catering for foreign hunters, or the trophies or representative trophies are reserved for the foreign hunters, which makes it too expensive for South Africans to hunt on. Do I like this, no. Do I blame the farmer? Yes and no – it is his farm, and my personal preference has got nothing to do with it. Then there are the farms which do cater for the local South African hunters. And these farms are in the majority. They are the farms that have not been catered for foreign hunters. These farms are not stocked to ensure a big Impala every 100 meters. No, these farms are maybe stocked once a year or rely on natural growth. It is the economy that dictates this. The price to buy in an Impala is why more than the average price locals pay. We are already local hunter pricelist increasing due to the pressure of the costs of buying in stock and allure to get 4-10times to the price for the same animal from a foreign hunter. Because these farms are not stocked to the brim, you may have heard the South African hunter saying, take what the field gives you. You may be on a farm that only has 2 shootable Kudu bulls. If they have been hunted already, too bad for you. If you are lucky, you may get it.

Therefore, due to foreign hunters’ own desires, it has caused some fenced farms to be stocked to the brim. A simple drive down the road and you can shoot all you heart desires. I will do another piece on my preferred hunting method. But the reality is that for the majority of South Africans, their fenced farms are not stocked as a Walmart. They may hunt on a 2500-acre farm and walking the whole day they may not see a Wildebeest. That is why the saying has been entrenched in South African hunters take what the fields gives you. I personally have gripe and issue with treating Africa as a Walmart and just shooting what you wish for, but it is a free market, and each person has his own opinions and choices.

South Africa has its issues, but there are more positives. The free market we have in RSA has caused and given the opportunity to farmers to exploit the demand for hunting. Other African countries, you would not find this. Namibia to a lesser degree yes, but nowhere else.

I could probably do a PHD on the above subject, there are so many aspects not even discussed.

Why are there then these views on fenced farms, why is it seen as bad? I have long thought about it, and I believe, please add, that there are various factors for this, mostly attributable to us South Africans, but caused by us as hunters, whether South African or Foreign. Lots of foreign hunters get duped to go on “safari” but end up on a 200 hectares (500 acre) farms, with powerlines in the background, shooting animals next to fences etc. I believe the allure of a wild unfenced Africa is created and it ends up nothing like it. Or it could be personal ethical belief for some or as in my case a personal preference. If someone spent a lot of money and time to come to Africa for a “Safari” on a “wild unfenced hunt” and then end up on Thabazimbi Limpopo 200 hectare fenced farm, only hunting from the back of the vehicle, sharing 1 PH with other foreign hunters, and the PH not even being the one I had been communicating with, it sure would not be great. This may be overexaggerating, but it seems from hunting reports that it happens. There are multiple reasons why people dislike the idea of a “Fenced Hunt”, another being, if we are honest the link to CBL and wild lions due to abovementioned stocking of the farm.

I have also realized, that on AH, the majority of commentators are not the majority of hunters. I have met so many American Hunters specifically, on fenced farms, who really do not appreciate hunting. It is a status symbol and the chase for a big trophy and bragging rights is what is at stake. For them they prefer it to be stocked and fenced and guarantee a successful hunt. I don’t like their view, but I accept it because it keeps hunting industry going forward.

What about the animals, are there a difference between a fenced and a wild animal. I would again be naïve to say no, a stocked animal does seem to be a little less wild. However, on farms you can easily spot in wildlife if they are hunted or not. Yes, I believe a stocked to the brim Walmart farm, would have animals that are not used to hunting and would be a little tamer, making it easier to hunt them. But animals that are not in constant human contact, remains an animal. And then even those who are in constant contact, they remain a wild animal. Just ask those hunters, who hunted and got mauled or trampled by Lion and Buffalo. I would almost venture and say most of these incidents happens on fenced farms…

Lastly it brings me to Limpopo Province. Wow has it received a bad reputation from certain individuals. My feeling is this is due various reasons discussed above, the large number of fenced farms, unscrupulous PH’s and outfitters. The PH discussion should be a discussion for another day as well, but for this piece, shortly, in RSA you can become a PH with 10 days of training. Again, like a broken record, the demand for cheaper hunts and legislative requirements, being the requirement for an outfitter and PH to be involved with foreign hunters in RSA, the easy qualification route, has had the effect that South Africa produces many more PH’s than Zim does. I do not mind saying it and I can be challenged on it, I believe it is easier to become a PH in RSA, than it is in say Zim. I am not saying a Zim PH is better than an RSA PH, but in my opinion, the average Zim PH’s is better than the average RSA PH. Now I got a bit sidetracked, back to Limpopo province.

Why is it the preferred province for hunting? Plain, it the province with the most bushveld, meaning natural habitat for animals that hunters want to hunt. Yes, Northwest, Natal, Eastern Cape etc also have hunting farms, but these provinces also have other factors not in their benefit. Eastern Cape for example is mountainous, the habitat does not generally lend itself to animals growing as big as they do in Limpopo, if you are a farmer, you would know the carrying is also a factor. The Free State and large parts of Mpumalanga are more open terrain and more suitable for crops. You have Limpopo farms and then you have Limpopo farms. This is purely subjective and my preference. I prefer the far north of Limpopo province, we refer to it as the Limpopo valley, basically anywhere 50km from the northern border, south. Why do I prefer this area of Limpopo? Well, it has to do with the vegetation and the “seclusion”. This is the area where you get Mopani veld, Baobab trees, it is a type of bushveld I love. Also, the farms are generally larger in size and the animals as well. Areas to the south such as Thabazimbi, Waterberge etc. are nice, but they are closer to civilization, busier roads and tend to be smaller. Prices are also more expensive of the farms and animals due to ease of access. The vegetation is also different. The far north of Limpopo just feels “wilder”. Specifically, if the farm is close to Zim/Botswana or the large national parks chances are you would have more chances of having dangerous wildlife in the area. On these fenced farms it is common to get Big Five and hippos.

You see, the last matter to consider is a major problem that Safari Areas have. Overpopulation of people and the impact it has on nature. If it is not for hunting, these areas would be taken over for livestock and rural farming. This would severely impact the wildlife numbers, with the result that these wildlife numbers will only be protected by wildlife in existing fenced farms or non-huntable (but poachable) game reserves. Fenced Farms gives tights to the owners to protect the farm, the wildlife. Whereas the majority of Safari Areas are not in private ownership, it is owned by communities or the government. You see the Fenced Farm and Safari Area are in essence in a symbiotic relationship. You, the guy who only hunts in Safari Areas and post you great pictures or video, you are creating a dream for another hunter. You are creating the dream for him to hunt, and his hunt will be on a Fenced Farm most likely. And the Fenced Farm hunter, is also creating a demand for you the Safari Area hunter though his pictures and experiences, admit it not. Both hunters are contributing to an economy, ensuring people have jobs and the conservation of wild animals.

Maybe just to be fair to Fenced Area hunters as well and not just bashing Fenced Areas, typically, well that has been my experience, hunting in Safari Areas as done as followed. You drive a lot, until you get the spoor and follow the animal – this is great. Or you drive a lot, then you spot a Kudu, climb out walk 5 meters, or in some instances from the back of the landcruiser, just shoot the Kudu. In such an instance, the shooting aspect, please read, only the shooting aspect, is the same. But hunting is more than the shooting, it is the planning, the area, the people you are with, the shot, the animal…

My dream is the have a game farm in the northern Limpopo province, due to the reasons above, or a Kalahari Farm. It might not be as wild as BVC/Dande, but I would be grateful for it. In general, the overwhelming feeling and opinion is that a Safari Area hunt is superior to a Fenced Farm hunt. I agree 100%. I have had the incredible privilege to have hunted in some Safari Areas (Naivasha and Malapati in Zim and Tuli in Botswana) and some open areas next to Kruger and have been to a lot of safari areas in overland trips, or tiger fishing and even walking trials. These hunts for me in the Safari Areas, were great (although I never pulled the trigger on a Big Five Animal) and I am sure I will in the future I will hunt Big Five in these areas. If I had the money and time, I would probably always choose these areas to hunt, Big Five or plains game. However, the hunts on Fenced Farms are just as enjoyable and gives me the privilege to hunt more often from a price perspective. If hunted, in my preferred method, being a fair chase walk and stalk, there is really no difference between a fenced hunt (on a big enough farm off course) and that of a Safari Area. I have made the decision, and maybe it is influenced from my father who had the original viewpoint and that is only or your first Big Five animal in a proper Safari Areas. Some other species I would treat the same, are Lechwe, Livingston Eland etc. Would I hunt a buffalo on a fenced farm, yes, but I am withholding on the dream to hunt a buffalo to first hunt it in a Safari Area.

Lastly, although I do not like to talk about myself, some background for context as to why I have these opinions. I grew up in a house where my grandfather (mother’s side) was a PH in Natal. My father was also a part time PH until I was probably 4/5 years old. He left PH’ing to become a town planner, but with his passion for wildlife, conservation and hunting he started a side business, which quickly became his core business, and he left town planning for a business in exporting hunting trophies and wildlife products. Through this business I have had the privilege to enjoy hunting maybe a bit more than most. This passion has transferred to myself and as God-fearing man, a South African, I too enjoy, conserve and utilize that which I have been entrusted to. In a sense, I see it (nature conservation, exploring, hunting) as a one of the various pieces of the puzzle of my own calling. I am a lawyer for a big investment firm concentering on property and agriculture, but I also have a side business, more concentrated on farms and maybe, just maybe, Limpopo farms may be my future bread and butter. Lastly, we have in a sense a family a farm in Limpopo, being a citrus and part game farm, which farm has been the family holiday destination for many generations. Thus there it is the reasons for my biased views

In conclusion, if you read this, do not bash the fenced farms. These are the farms the majority of South Africans have access to, have a dream to own, and take their children for their first hunt on. This is the same dream for many foreign hunters as well. Not all the farms are shops where you can pick and choose, neither are all the farms a 500-acre farm pretending to be a big, unfenced safari area. Be careful when you bash Fenced Farms or even Limpopo Province, there are many farms you do not get to see, and your 1 or even 2+ trips gives you a very limited view of what is really happening or is available in Limpopo or South Africa. Use hunting to explore Africa. Do not see it as a shopping experience or to tick your wishlist – show some respect. But do come to Africa for your safari, whether on a fenced farm or the Safari Area, enjoy Africa, its wildlife, contribute to the preservation of Wildlife and conservation. Enjoy the sunsets. If you can only afford it once, then try South Africa but do proper research. There are many great PH’s and areas (fenced) you can hunt. If you can afford it, do a safari in a Safari Area. Do not bash the guy with his safari in Limpopo – it may just be his dream and that is all he can afford or what he chooses. He is still in Africa, and he is hunting.

Excellent write up.

Stephen, well written BVC is fenced by the way, you can look at it like the Parks next to Kruger just without the Kruger park as a boundary.

I love the Limpopo grew up in the Limpopo saw the transformation from cattle to game farms in the late 80's as I grew up. The whole industry was built on hunting alone and some who thought that photos will pay the bill but most farms were fenced for hunting.

Just some people who felt the need to make more money later in late 90's and made a sausage machine out of the industry by delivering male trophy animals only and only having a few female groups. Taking groups of foreign hunters up to 30 at a time dropping the off at waterholes and the list goes on.

But it's not where I hunt or can afford to anyway and want to hunt.
This is the unfortunate scene that is played out to a lot of new foreign clients and going Limpopo and giving the Limpopo a bad name.

I hunt where game is left mostly on their own with some years some new blood is being brought in.
It is not a factory and no the Owner is not doing it for a living but for passion.

Last edited:
Stephen, well written BVC is fenced by the way, you can look at it like the Parks next to Kruger just without the Kruger park as a boundary.
BVC is fenced but it's a million acres ......in that sense everywhere is fenced.

BVC is fenced but it's a million acres ......in that sense everywhere is fenced.

I think that’s the point... when is a fenced area big enough or just too small. Because in the end everything is fenced in some way, as you rightly point out .

Yes its big just wanted to point out its not unfenced as everyone hates fences these days.
Was not trying to bash the BVC as they have enough problems with their lion population again caused by greens not hunters.

Associated Private Nature Reserves, (APNR), is an association of privately owned nature reserves bordering on the Kruger National Park. Collectively they represent 1,800 square kilometres

I read your article twice. You wrote a well thought article and I appreciate your point of view. However, you admitted some things here many refuse to admit. My objection to high fenced farms isn’t necessarily the fence it is how it gets used. If the fence is used to improve and protect what’s inside I think it’s a good thing. If the fence is used to stock trophies and create unnatural conditions but then marketed the same as farms that manage their operations on a quota or equivalent or better than safari areas it deserves criticism. In Limpopo particularly, the latter seems to be marketed more commonly to US hunters who don’t know better and many as you said don’t care. However, when hunters come here and say there is no stocking of trophies ever, they never saw the fence, and exaggerate the size of the farms it leads to heated discussion. I unfortunately do see more negatives to the fencing in Limpopo at moment than positives. There is no incentive to take down fences and move towards a conservancy model especially when outfitters market small farms and hunters defend them as the same hunting as elsewhere without asking questions.

I have no problem hunting in a fenced area, provided it is big enough to that the animals can behave normally, so preferably 5 thousand acres or more. The reason is extremely simple - I don't want to run into the local population, encounter cattle or goats. Apart from the danger of an shot wounding or killing someone who you didn't know was there, I am looking for a wild experience. Yes indeed, fenced areas to me qualify as far more wild than cow bells etc.

I have hunted Limpopo 3 times in the last 6 years. I love the rugged bush and mountains where I have hunted. I have hunted very large, fenced properties and enjoyed every moment. My profession hunters have all been incredible, ethical, responsible, honest, and hardworking professionals.

I have hunted an unfenced Kruger adjacent property and that was great. My hunts on fenced and unfenced properties did not feel that different. I enjoyed the read and I am a huge fan of Limpopo. I would like to experience hunting in a huge, unfenced wilderness area someday.

I don't have lots of disposable income, so I have chosen to hunt Limpopo, South Africa. I would love to hunt Zambia, Tanzania, Camaron but I cannot afford these areas yet. My next hunt is in Namibia.

I guess what bothers me most is the arrogance of some hunters who ridicule others for hunting South Africa instead of places like Tanzania or Ethiopia. I would be glad to hunt Ethiopian Mountain Nayala or Camaron Bongo or Tanzanian Lesser Kudu on your dime! PM me with your offers for free hunts.

I don't have lots of disposable income, so I have chosen to hunt Limpopo, South Africa. I would love to hunt Zambia, Tanzania, Camaron but I cannot afford these areas yet. My next hunt is in Namibia.

I guess what bothers me most is the arrogance of some hunters who ridicule others for hunting South Africa instead of places like Tanzania or Ethiopia. I would be glad to hunt Ethiopian Mountain Nayala or Camaron Bongo or Tanzanian Lesser Kudu on your dime! PM me with your offers for free hunts.
It bothers me when this debate comes down to money from one side every time. I did enjoy my hunts in Limpopo at the time. I realize now some were better than others for different reasons. I’ve been called a snob, elitist, and many other names more than I can count on this forum always by the same group of people. Asking someone how many times they’ve been to Africa and where they hunted is a relevant question. I’ve been fortunate to hunt a lot of areas and am able to compare where others can’t. I don’t see giving advice to someone to look elsewhere as ridicule even if someone takes it personally because they don’t want to question the experience they had. I’ve made mistakes with my money hunting animals that don’t have a value to me now because I didn’t know then what I know now, example sable in Limpopo. I’d think someone looking to get the best experience for their money would want to know more than just the price, but there seems to be an effort to shut down discussion based on money. You yourself are trying to compare the most expensive areas in Africa to one of the least expensive areas to make the biggest contrast instead of comparing a buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe to a buffalo hunt in Limpopo.

Saswart, Thank you for the excellent article. Also I appreciate reading the thoughtful comments. Brian

The problem is one of economics, profit, and advertising.

I'll use hyperbole to drive my point: "Not all RSA hunts are terrible, but all terrible hunts are in RSA". Again, its hyperbole, but the stereotype can ring true.

Why?

A.) The RSA folks own their livestock. They can charge whatever they want. This has allowed the potential for increased profits far above the potential profits of any rival nations that have safari areas.

B.) Because RSA can be more lucrative, they can advertise more. This has led to people that should have no business running hunts doing just that, creating donation scam hunts, or fleecing people, or literally selling animals they do not have and then shuffling clients onto cooperating ranches to fulfill the hunt via arbitrage profits.

C.) RSA has lower ethical and business standards for their enterprises than most of the surrounding countries. RSA's standards are similar to many (but not all) US States outfitter standards where you do get a small amount of fly-by-night sheisters. This invites the unethical to enter a business that has options to exploit unethically.

For these reasons, I have opted to hunt free range, unfenced wilderness areas, CAMPFIRE areas, and designated safari areas in Zimbabwe. The costs are actually comparable to RSA if you find operators that are excellent and market by word of mouth because their advertising/donation costs are lower and their cost of living is considerably less than RSA.

Does it mean I wouldn't hunt RSA ever? No, I probably will go there eventually to hunt the native species they have using archery equipment, but its just not my go-to destination.

As to corrupt motives, a PH working in a wilderness area gets paid about the same if you see nothing or shoot nothing, most of the trophy fee is payable to council or State. Their motivation is to give you a good experience and select good wild animals to protect their reputation. In RSA by contrast, a PH could persuade you to take a very poor animal and the resulting trophy fee may go 100% into their pockets.

Obviously there are great PHs and operators everywhere, but I prefer hunting free range wilderness because the business model align the incentives of the PH to the incentives of the client best. There are fewer "Angles" to run a hustle in wilderness areas and the costs are roughly the same anyway.

I have no problem hunting in a fenced area, provided it is big enough to that the animals can behave normally, so preferably 5 thousand acres or more. The reason is extremely simple - I don't want to run into the local population, encounter cattle or goats. Apart from the danger of an shot wounding or killing someone who you didn't know was there, I am looking for a wild experience. Yes indeed, fenced areas to me qualify as far more wild than cow bells etc.

I was in the most remote area of Zim in a safari area. Closest human structure was 25km to camp. Found the sole of a Nike basketball shoe. (and of course a few dozen rounds of antique large bore brass from the past 120 years) In DG safari areas in Zim we've certainly stepped in donkey feces or heard cowbells a few km away. Point being: man is everywhere. The most remote places are habited by people. All we can ask for is natural reproduction of game, healthy trophy quality, and fair chase.

Whenever I believe I'm somewhere wild and untouched somewhere in the world, I breathe a sigh of relief, look down, and find a candy wrapper. Man is everywhere.

This was a great post and I enjoyed reading it. I’m from Texas and there are game ranches everywhere. I don’t know why exactly but I do not want to hunt in an area where there are fences. It just turns me off. This is coming from someone with zero experience hunting on ranches or farms. The trick is to get someone like me to do it and educate them. But that will be extremely difficult as folks like me don’t put a price on the trophy but put the price on the adventure. Fences don’t seem wild or adventurous. This is obviously my thoughts and highly subjective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamihawks

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with