Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Saskatchewan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, 30 US states and counting
How many of you are chasing the cats of North America...bobcat, lynx and mountain lion? It took me 2 hard trips to get my mountain lion, which I wrote a hunt report here about. https://www.africahunting.com/threads/usa-co-mountain-lion-with-revolver.73045/

I'm wanting to get a bobcat and lynx at some point. Does anyone have recommendations on bobcat hunting around TX? I would love to hear about your bobcat experiences, particularly those who chased them specifically. I know a lot of guys have gotten lucky while hunting sometimes else but how many have focused on getting one? Lynx are obviously a northern species and if you have experiences to share about that, please do so.

We hunt mountain lions in Montana every year. Have had a lot of success. Just got my sons and my lion back from the taxidermist. His was 174 lbs. mine came in at 176.
IMG_3112.jpeg

Very good lions. Nice.

I’ve taken one bobcat and two cougars over hounds. I love chasing them in the snow, looking for tracks and chasing the primal sound of hound dogs on a hot trail.
Have always wanted to call bobcats and I know they do it successfully on big bobcats in Texas.

I think lynx are the hardest of the 3 to take consistently. I have taken them trapping in Alaska but look forward to hunting them sometime. Next step for me I think is getting a good bobcat around TX.

IMG_1593.jpeg

I love hunting mountain lions with hounds. Manti-LaSalle National Forest, Utah - January 2021. Happy hunting to all, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

Similar mount to mine. I will post in a bit.

I have called in a couple Bobcat in the last 3 years. Mountain Lion is still on the list. Not many in this area so it may take some time to do that. Where are you thinking for the Lynx?
l would contact some of the predator calling outfitters in Texas or Kansas for the Bobcat

Try PLO Prairieland outfitters in Kansas for Bobcat

For lynx, I was looking at some outfits in British Columbia. Still researching that. I will contact PLO. Thanks.

Here's a quick photo of my lion (excuse the mess)...wish you could see the deer better underneath it. It's a B&C muley that was killed by this cat. We jumped it off the kill and tracked it down to the bottom of a nasty canyon later that day. The guide said why did it have to kill the biggest freaking muley on the mountain?

IMG_8115.JPG

I’ve gotten 2 of the 3. Need a Lynx but never tried for them.

I’ve gotten bobcats in 3 states by chance while turkey hunting, one in Texas in town, and 1 ea with hounds and in trap out west.

That’s the odd thing…having turkey hunted in 25 states, I’ve never had a shot opportunity for a bobcat. I’ve seen some but no shots.

Starting my cats this season. I have a mountain lion hunt with dogs booked for January in Arizona. Don't know how much running I will have to do to keep up with the dogs, but I have a little time to get in shape once I have a target.

That’s the odd thing…having turkey hunted in 25 states, I’ve never had a shot opportunity for a bobcat. I’ve seen some but no shots.
TSS does a number on them ….

Good question and I'll be following. Lynx is out of my budget but really want to get a bobcat.
I killed a good lion way back in 97. Guy with hounds offered me the hunt for only $500 as he wasn't doing anything at the time. Pretty sure he spent it all in fuel before we got the Tom on the 5th day.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1662382432232.jpg
    FB_IMG_1662382432232.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 12
How many of you are chasing the cats of North America...bobcat, lynx and mountain lion? It took me 2 hard trips to get my mountain lion, which I wrote a hunt report here about. https://www.africahunting.com/threads/usa-co-mountain-lion-with-revolver.73045/

I'm wanting to get a bobcat and lynx at some point. Does anyone have recommendations on bobcat hunting around TX? I would love to hear about your bobcat experiences, particularly those who chased them specifically. I know a lot of guys have gotten lucky while hunting sometimes else but how many have focused on getting one? Lynx are obviously a northern species and if you have experiences to share about that, please do so.
@Green Chile - I am a very avid “Cat hunter” but NOT a very successful one. Made three (3) different Mountain Lion Hunts for a total of 21 hunting days, all with hounds (2 in Idaho and 1 in British Columbia). Only treed one Lion and let my friend shoot it - great Tom nice big head and 160 lbs. I’m still trying to plan another hunt to get my Mountain lion but there is much luck involved “if” you want a really good Tom - if you will be happy with any Mountain lion 110 - 130 lbs then your chances are very good and I refer to 130 lbs “On a Scale” not Guide’s estimate - which is always on the Heavy side of reality. For me, a trophy Mountain lion is a Tom and starts at 150 lbs…- they are harder to find. Once hounds strike a good cat - especially in snow - the chase can be short and the actually shot is like a Big Squirrel….the thrill is the chase and the dog work. Calling one in would also be a thrill but odds are low.
For Bobcat, Maine has high success rates over good hounds and cats are larger than Texas - 25 lbs to 35 lbs are nice size trophies. I called in a nice Tom in Texas after 5 days of calling day & night - 28 lbs, very long Tom and well spotted…..I like that trophy more then anything I shot in Africa or Alaska.
For Lynx, only Alaska or British Columbia - my Son and I took ours over hounds in BC, fun hunt, good dog work but the shot is another Big Squirrel !!

As stated, BC lynx + bobcat can be found fairly readily based on friends' accounts. Even with hounds, even close to the ski resort your non-hunting companion would enjoy. I havent done it but will ask a pal who did and let you know if he has a lead. This is a midwinter hunt in BC right?

Lynx hunting is typically done mid to late winter....Dec-March roughly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShaniGofor

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt