HUNTING Axis Deer

Lone Star Bluegrass

AH veteran
Reaction score
Does anybody have any diagrams on the vitals of axis? I haven’t been able to find any and all the post mortems I’ve done have been on animals that were hanging and that’s not a natural position of the animal (obviously).

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Just like the Indian black back and Nilgai I also find the Indian Chital to have its vitals a little forward. Slightly I’m sure

Just on the crease of/on the shoulder. I’m sure there some lung hanging back behind but just shoot it’s shoulder.

Just my thoughts!

Why thank you, @Sideshow
Yeah, Axis deer is a big game hunting staple here in South Bengal. And I hunt them quite regularly.
FB_IMG_1683320557241.jpg
Messenger_creation_665951e7-33b2-4220-a50f-641729998704.jpg
IMG_20230419_154430.jpg
IMG-20230722-WA0001.jpg

From my autobiography
IMG_20240626_044214.jpg
IMG_20240626_044234.jpg

Best shot placement on an Axis deer is right behind the shoulder.

When hunting Axis deer in their natural habitat (the Sundarban mangrove forests), we actually aim for the shoulder/scapula itself. We try to down the Axis deer as fast as possible, otherwise it frequently makes off into the mangroves (which is Royal Bengal tiger territory).

Last edited:
Why thank you, @Sideshow
Yeah, Axis deer is a big game hunting staple here in South Bengal. And I hunt them quite regularly.View attachment 616173View attachment 616172View attachment 616174View attachment 616177

From my autobiography View attachment 616175View attachment 616176

Best shot placement on an Axis deer is right behind the shoulder.

When hunting Axis deer in their natural habitat (the Sundarban mangrove forests), we actually aim for the shoulder/scapula itself. We try to down the Axis deer as fast as possible, otherwise it frequently makes off into the mangroves (which is Royal Bengal tiger territory).

Thank you! A very interesting read, especially the relationship between axis and monkeys.

Back in 2009 and 2010 I worked on a cattle ranch that also was over run with Axis deer. The owner being an Air Force Vet and pro military decided that in order to do our part to support our troops we would cull a large amount of axis deer and have it processed into jerky and smoked sausage and send it to our troops in the sand box. During that time frame I stopped counting when I hit number 200……. I didn’t stop shooting, just stopped counting. I mainly used a rem 700 .223 KVS and most it was head shots.

I shot mine right behind the shoulder just like any deer. It dropped right where it stood…..

3 weeks ago with @MG Hunting and @ROCKET in Argentina
IMG_1320.jpeg

Only shot one, in the hill country back in January. Young buck broadside at 60 yds with a spicy 7mm RM Partition. Shot him right where you’re supposed to. Dropped on the spot. Then he hopped back up and walked straight towards me. Dumbfounded and looking around for John Quinones in the brush, I finally shot him again in the neck at 20 yds. I appreciated the short drag, but still am asking wtf.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NanceeHint

Latest profile posts

overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me
I've been hunting and shooting all my life in So Cal. Luckily, I've passed it on to my son who does his thing on the East coast except when we get together for some outdoor activities. I shoot just about anything that goes bang including rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders. I've scratch-built several flint rifles and a couple of pistols and rebuilt several old muzzlestuffers for friends.