How much wood could a woodchuck chuck...

Good memories. Growing up in Central PA on a farm my summer activities included ground hogs. I got my Crossman 22 caliber pellet rifle when I was 10 and since it was not truly woodchuck medicine I needed to be creative. Walking along the fields I would spot the chuck who would scurry down his hole. I would sneak over and quietly wait behind the opening. Typically 10-20 minutes later he would pop his head up. Short range 2 feet a Crossman pellet would send him to woodchuck heaven. I believe one summer my count was mid 30s

I’ve got one in the barn I need to get after. He may get a 1 1/2 set in his run.
I do like hunting the critters. The last several I’ve shot with my 30-06.
@Wyatt Smith
Grab that lovely 25-303 with some 75gn blitz kings and go make some minced meat out of them
Bob

Nostalgia led me to snap a quick pic of an old fav from the safe. When I was a wee lad back in PA, this was my groundhog gun of choice:

20240907_190440.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Wyatt Smith
Grab that lovely 25-303 with some 75gn blitz kings and go make some minced meat out of them
Bob
The 85 grain ballistic tips are quite decisive on groundhogs and coyotes, better than the 06 with 180 speers for sure, but the 06 was handy.
I tried one with the 357 magnum a while back, but I missed. It was a shame too, I could have killed him with any one of my rifles.

One evening's harvest in a few fresh cut hay fields. IIRC, these were all with a 17HMR shooting 17 grain VNTs.
groundhogs_tailgate.jpg

I've never seen a woodchuck in the wild. I've seen marmots in the rocks in the mountains above timberline occasionally when elk hunting but I'm not climbing up there just to shoot THEM. LOL

Whistle pig harvesting tools du jour. Taken more with the 17P, off a bag to 200 yds.

CZ 452 in .17HM2
XP-100 in 20 Practical Muller barrel
Anschutz 17P in .17 HMR.
Rem M7 in .17FB PacNor barrel

20P_XP100.jpg
Annie_17P.jpg
CZ_17HM2.jpg
M7_17FB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up in Southern Michigan shooting Woodchucks with my Browning A-bolt 22-250. It always cracked me up when we could shoot woodchucks with a 300 Weatherby if you wanted but had to use a shotgun for deer. Glad to see they changed it a little, going back this year for the 15th opener with my new 450 Bushmaster.

Moved to Wyoming 20 years ago and now shoot there tougher cousin the Rock Chuck... not sure how many rocks a rock chuck could chuck???
RockChuck 16.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rodlovetohunt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.