How many species should I hunt?

Bearkat

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Australia, South Africa (Eastern Cape), USA (GA, LA, ME, MI, MS, NC, NH, SD, TX, VA)
I’m planning my second Safari to the Eastern Cape. Last year we only hunted six days and I took a number of species. I took some great trophies, but we were hustling to get my animals. Please don’t get me wrong. We hunted hard and took high quality animals, not just examples. This time, I’m planning on ten days and have seven species on my list. They are not all a must have. Klipspringer is number one, followed by Nyala and Mountain Reedbuck. I want to spend time enjoying my hunting days and focus on high quality trophies. Is there such thing as a reasonable number of animals to hunt in a given time frame? I’m just curious to hear how others look at numbers vs days.

Your outfitter and/or PH is better qualified to answer your question as there are a variety of variables that come into play when trying to figure number of days to hunt a certain species.

Examples:

Bushbuck, Mountain Reedbuck, Kudu:

Early winter, less cover, relatively easier to spot, versus mid or late spring or early fall, more vegetation relatively harder to spot.
Some outfitters / concessions may have an abundance of animals while others may have a moderate quantity.
You could get lucky on day 1 or not until day 8.

Warthog, Springbok, Impala, Blesbok:

Again time of year, quantity of animals on the concession. Generally 1 or 2 days, but don't be surprised if it's day 5 and your still looking for that above average animal.

TIA. Always expect the unexpected.

Meaning you could have your Mountain Reedbuck by 9am, Nyala by 1pm and on the way back to the lodge your Klipspringer around 6pm. Or it could be day 8 you have all your other package animals plus a couple of opportunity animals in the skinning shed. On day 9 your PH is secretly sweating bullets, still looking to finish you out with a nice Mountain Reedbuck, Nyala, and Klipspringer.

Your planning a 10 hunting day trip for 7 animals your good to go. Just inform your PH what's on your Animals of Opportunity List.

With what you have initially you will probably have to travel to different areas. So find out what is in each area and go from there. Right now, the number is three, interest and time in the area will tell you more as you go along.

7 animals in 10 days of hunting seems very doable if you’re taking what the bush gives you. Now all 7 on your list, might be a little more challenging.

Do you have an outfitter? Might I suggest Viktor with @KAROO WILD Safaris he’ll have the Klippie and Nyala. Not sure about the Mtn Reedbuck but if you run down the road to Jeff’s place for a couple days that shouldn’t be an issue. Bushbuck there won’t be an issue either. Not sure what else is on your list but I’d encourage you to at least consider Cape Grysbok, a Vallie, Blue Duiker, Carcal w/ hounds, Cape Kudu, Cape Bushbuck, Karoo Springbok and a few other species endemic to the Eastern Cape

I took a very large Mountain Reedbuck within two hours of my hunt, pure luck !

I literally ran into my hyaena, luck again !

Yet other animals like my buff, eland, bushbuck, aoudad, took me from three to four days to hunt.

You never know, make a list with your priorities, talk with you PH, and make a plan.

Wish you the best of luck :D Cheers:

I’m planning my second Safari to the Eastern Cape. Last year we only hunted six days and I took a number of species. I took some great trophies, but we were hustling to get my animals. Please don’t get me wrong. We hunted hard and took high quality animals, not just examples. This time, I’m planning on ten days and have seven species on my list. They are not all a must have. Klipspringer is number one, followed by Nyala and Mountain Reedbuck. I want to spend time enjoying my hunting days and focus on high quality trophies. Is there such thing as a reasonable number of animals to hunt in a given time frame? I’m just curious to hear how others look at numbers vs days.
I had 7 on my list for a 10 day hunt, got them all. Plus one additional! Just discuss with your PH.

The more often I go, the less picky I am about the plan and the schedule. Sometimes it's just more fun to be there, hunt hard, see what Africa gives you, and focus on great experiences and exceptional trophies. This last hunt I booked I was only sure about hunting kudu and klipspringer. I came back with an exceptional springbok, gorgeous sable, and yes, of course, the other two. Mostly I was there watching my son discover Africa. It was a fantastic trip, and every day seemed like another day full of opportunity and adventure. Fixating too much on one thing leads to pressure, and too much pressure destroys the fun.

Other times focusing on one animal (especially on DG hunts) is the whole reason for the trip...... and that's OK too.

In the end, a handful of exceptional trophies that you work for is always more meaningful and memorable than a huge pile of whatever was standing there.

Seven or eight (if a good specimen presents itself).

My first trip I was committed to five animals in the package deal for nine day safari. By noon of the first morning I had four in the truck including two not on the list. Next day I took two more off the list only leaving kudu for the rest of the safari. I finally got him just before dusk of the last afternoon. 330 yard shot.

It depends on the animals you select. For a beginner plains game package the following would make sense: kudu, wildebeest or gemsbuck, impala, springbuck, blesbuck. That should run about $4K.

Your preferred animals are different. I think the nyala might be acquired fairly quickly. A lot depends on whether the animals can be found on same property or nearby property. If a lot of travel is involved, that can cut into hunting time. For long distance objectives, I'm not adverse to staying with the property owners at the farmhouse to eliminate travel time. Actually, I enjoy time with them and their families more than hanging out at the lodge (which is not to say I don't enjoy my lodge because I do).

Make as big a list as you like. If you don't end up with all of them in the bag, it's the perfect reason to go back. ;)

My wife and I hunted hard for 10 days to take 10 animals. In hindsight, we should have hunted a little less and looked around a little more. Smell the roses so to speak.

Your animals vs days seems reasonable, but do your best to manage expectations as the days go by. Not everything pans out and sometimes a wonderful opportunity presents itself. Be prepared for both and do your best to keep a positive mindset.

Good luck on your hunt.

My buddy and I took 17 animals in 5 days in May in Namibia. We were not just shooting anything either.

Like many have said, talk to the outfitter and it depends on your "openness" of pursuing what the bush gives you vs. a dedicated list. I personally find out what is unique or above average in quality to the area, something usually is.

Depending on the hunt, but probably applicable in this case, I find it rewarding to take one animal a day if possible. If you are hunting PG in Africa and are open to multiple species that is probably totally doable. Cheers

. I want to spend time enjoying my hunting days and focus on high quality trophies. ......
You can burn 10 days chasing one animal. It all depends how picky you want to be on the quality.
It also depends how lucky you are.
Enjoy yourself and see what comes your way. Good luck.

The more I go, the less I take.

It’s all about being there.

What I DO take has increased in size. :cool:

You have some very good advice in the earlier posts. Which can mostly be summarized as "take what the bush provides."

If you like to plan and research (and if you are on this site asking questions, you probably do), here is a suggestion I started a while ago.

Step 1, communicate with PH about where you are going and what's generally on each property. They almost always have surrounding properties they can go to if you are looking for something specific, so understand what's in the area as well.

Step 2, make a list of what you have already shot, and don't want to shoot again. Some guys will take a nice kudu every trip. Nothing against kudu, but I wont. Make sure your tell the PH what you are not interested in, and they will tell the trackers on the back (more on that in a minute).

Step 3, make a primary species list (e.g. I really want a Nyala, Klippy, White Springbuck) and communicate those priorities. The 3 species I used as examples are all found in very different places, and you will have to go look for them. That takes time. You are not going to find a Klippy looking for a Springbuck - they are not neighbors.

Step 4, make the "I know these are found here and if we see a good one, I'd be interested list." For me, this includes everything that I have not previously hunted. Everyone should have there own list.

Step 5, decide for yourself what kind of animals you are looking for, its very personal. I don't even own a tape measure, and since I have never actually seen a Cape Grysbuck, I have no idea if its a good one or not, so I go by what the PH recommends (and I only hunt with PHs that I have confidence in). This is a very important step. Many guys do not like to admit that they are trophy hunting, but many are. If, when you get home and are sitting alone in your sitting room looking at your animals and you will only be happy if they are silver/gold medal, you need to tell your PH that you are only looking for silver/gold medal animals. You might not get them, but if you're not going to be happy with less, you need to say so before its in the salt. On the other hand, if what you really and personally like are old animals that are worn down and roughed up (that's me) say that as well. This is a very important and often overlooked step, and what often happens is this: the conversation with the PH is that you are really looking for a top class Klippy, but you're hunting the Eastern Cape. He says that going to tough, but we will try. Then he mentions that since you are in the Eastern Cape, what about hunting Vaal Rhebuck instead of Klippy's. Turns out its a very similar hunt, and the Vaallie's are huge in parts of the Cape. Instead of spending time on something that's not really going to be in the area you are hunting, you can get a great animal that most others have never even heard off. Communication!

Step 5 (keep in in we are still in the planning stages at home), set a budget for yourself. I'm only going to spend $xx,xxx.xx on trophy fees. You still have to get them home, etc. You can hunt all four Springbuck in the Cape for about the cost of a Caracal. In African horn dollars, the Springbuck are the better value but a Caracal is a Caracal. Where you get into trouble is when you are 3 Springbuck deep and a Caracal opportunity presents itself. Ok, that doesn't happen often unless you are trying, but it can happen.

Then go and have a good time. There are about 45 huntable African species in RSA alone (this number varies depending on if you count designer species like black Impala, Golden Wildebeest, etc?). So, there are a lot of animals to look over. Focus on a smaller than anticipated list of "primary species" and then be flexible on "what the bush provides."

Lastly, the trackers and other guys on the truck tend to be very rote. If the PH tells the trackers "we are looking for Nyala," you will only see Nyala. You might drive by a world record Oribi because you were only looking for Nyala. That's the reason for Step 2. It happens a lot. You have to communicate.

These are just some thoughts. Everyone should make their own their own. It starts with communicating.

You can burn 10 days chasing one animal. It all depends how picky you want to be on the quality.
It also depends how lucky you are.
Enjoy yourself and see what comes your way. Good luck.
So true! I spend many days and nights on 3 hunts trying to get a red duiker and sharps Greysbok. Then this last trip heading down from the mountain top with Gina's pure luck 17.5" Bushbuck, there was a nice male red duiker out ij a small clearing just waiting.... ran off a few yards while I got set up and stopped to look back very conveniently;)

Then first try for Sharps we find a dandy and get him within an hour of starting out....

Go with the flow. Have a list, but be opportunistic. That's my two cents. ;)

Everyone's experience is different, right? My first trip over, in 2021, was right after covid. Animals were freaking everywhere, and their clientele that year was fairly light. I had a 5 animal package spread over 7 hunting days. I wound up shooting 10 animals, including a buffalo.

My second trip was last year. I had 10 days scheduled, and wound up taking 8 animals. I had more on my list but some of them just didn't happen.

Also, I guess in part it depends on what you want? Some folks want to rack up the different species, and to a degree I want to as well. But I have to tell you, I can't imagine going to Africa and NOT having kudu on the list - I don't think I could ever get tired of them. And after my first trip I found out I feel the same way about warthogs. So no matter what's on my list, from trip to trip, there will always be a part of the budget allotted to another kudu and another warthog.

Best of wishes on whatever you decide good sir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sophia17T8

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]