How many species should I hunt?

Bearkat

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Australia, South Africa (Eastern Cape), USA (GA, LA, ME, MI, MS, NC, NH, SD, TX, VA)
I’m planning my second Safari to the Eastern Cape. Last year we only hunted six days and I took a number of species. I took some great trophies, but we were hustling to get my animals. Please don’t get me wrong. We hunted hard and took high quality animals, not just examples. This time, I’m planning on ten days and have seven species on my list. They are not all a must have. Klipspringer is number one, followed by Nyala and Mountain Reedbuck. I want to spend time enjoying my hunting days and focus on high quality trophies. Is there such thing as a reasonable number of animals to hunt in a given time frame? I’m just curious to hear how others look at numbers vs days.

Your outfitter and/or PH is better qualified to answer your question as there are a variety of variables that come into play when trying to figure number of days to hunt a certain species.

Examples:

Bushbuck, Mountain Reedbuck, Kudu:

Early winter, less cover, relatively easier to spot, versus mid or late spring or early fall, more vegetation relatively harder to spot.
Some outfitters / concessions may have an abundance of animals while others may have a moderate quantity.
You could get lucky on day 1 or not until day 8.

Warthog, Springbok, Impala, Blesbok:

Again time of year, quantity of animals on the concession. Generally 1 or 2 days, but don't be surprised if it's day 5 and your still looking for that above average animal.

TIA. Always expect the unexpected.

Meaning you could have your Mountain Reedbuck by 9am, Nyala by 1pm and on the way back to the lodge your Klipspringer around 6pm. Or it could be day 8 you have all your other package animals plus a couple of opportunity animals in the skinning shed. On day 9 your PH is secretly sweating bullets, still looking to finish you out with a nice Mountain Reedbuck, Nyala, and Klipspringer.

Your planning a 10 hunting day trip for 7 animals your good to go. Just inform your PH what's on your Animals of Opportunity List.

With what you have initially you will probably have to travel to different areas. So find out what is in each area and go from there. Right now, the number is three, interest and time in the area will tell you more as you go along.

7 animals in 10 days of hunting seems very doable if you’re taking what the bush gives you. Now all 7 on your list, might be a little more challenging.

Do you have an outfitter? Might I suggest Viktor with @KAROO WILD Safaris he’ll have the Klippie and Nyala. Not sure about the Mtn Reedbuck but if you run down the road to Jeff’s place for a couple days that shouldn’t be an issue. Bushbuck there won’t be an issue either. Not sure what else is on your list but I’d encourage you to at least consider Cape Grysbok, a Vallie, Blue Duiker, Carcal w/ hounds, Cape Kudu, Cape Bushbuck, Karoo Springbok and a few other species endemic to the Eastern Cape

I took a very large Mountain Reedbuck within two hours of my hunt, pure luck !

I literally ran into my hyaena, luck again !

Yet other animals like my buff, eland, bushbuck, aoudad, took me from three to four days to hunt.

You never know, make a list with your priorities, talk with you PH, and make a plan.

Wish you the best of luck :D Cheers:

I’m planning my second Safari to the Eastern Cape. Last year we only hunted six days and I took a number of species. I took some great trophies, but we were hustling to get my animals. Please don’t get me wrong. We hunted hard and took high quality animals, not just examples. This time, I’m planning on ten days and have seven species on my list. They are not all a must have. Klipspringer is number one, followed by Nyala and Mountain Reedbuck. I want to spend time enjoying my hunting days and focus on high quality trophies. Is there such thing as a reasonable number of animals to hunt in a given time frame? I’m just curious to hear how others look at numbers vs days.
I had 7 on my list for a 10 day hunt, got them all. Plus one additional! Just discuss with your PH.

The more often I go, the less picky I am about the plan and the schedule. Sometimes it's just more fun to be there, hunt hard, see what Africa gives you, and focus on great experiences and exceptional trophies. This last hunt I booked I was only sure about hunting kudu and klipspringer. I came back with an exceptional springbok, gorgeous sable, and yes, of course, the other two. Mostly I was there watching my son discover Africa. It was a fantastic trip, and every day seemed like another day full of opportunity and adventure. Fixating too much on one thing leads to pressure, and too much pressure destroys the fun.

Other times focusing on one animal (especially on DG hunts) is the whole reason for the trip...... and that's OK too.

In the end, a handful of exceptional trophies that you work for is always more meaningful and memorable than a huge pile of whatever was standing there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drmamadinda

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available