How many PH's are actually using double rifles?

I would love a Heym in 500NE just can’t afford it.
So my big bore arsenal consists of …

Brno 602 in 458 Express
Brno 602 in 458 WM
Winchester M70 in 416 Rem Mag
Musgrave 375 H&H
 
I would love a Heym in 500NE just can’t afford it.
So my big bore arsenal consists of …

Brno 602 in 458 Express
Brno 602 in 458 WM
Winchester M70 in 416 Rem Mag
Musgrave 375 H&H
Though I own a .404, .470, and 500/416, as a client, I have found that I don't have much use for any of them in any format. A 300 gr A Frame or Hydro from one of my .375's seems to meet every requirement I have had in Africa far more accurately and with much less fuss and bother.
 
Red Leg, did you make a mistake buying the larger caliber DR’s
Did you buy them before you had the experience with a .375 ?
 
Red Leg, did you make a mistake buying the larger caliber DR’s
Did you buy them before you had the experience with a .375 ?
In part yes. The 500/416 was the original caliber of my S2. I acquired the .375 and '06 sets and never seemed to have a need for the 500/416. The .404 is a magnificent rifle by Craig Libhart that I had built around 2008 following my first safari because everyone should have a .404 for Africa. It too has never been across the Atlantic. The .470 was purchased about ten years ago because it was a great deal and I could perhaps use it on a buffalo or elephant. Somehow, none of those rifles or calibers could exceed the sheer utility of a .375 - particularly when I experienced having one in a R8.
 
I have found the vast majority of PHs with whom I have hunted to be quite professional, though admittedly that has only included two hunts in South Africa. Because I am a US citizen, the option of hunting "alone" doesn't really exist in any practical way in Southern Africa or Europe.

PH training, at least in my experience, is pretty darn thorough in Namibia, Zim, and Zambia. My PHs in Moz were all originally licensed in Zimbabwe.

I have no problem being called a "client." I certainly prefer it to term "sports" which is the name we used for clients when I guided waterfowl hunts back in the day. Lord knows the term "hunter" certainly didn't apply to all of them.

With respect to the OP's question, Nick Nolte, with whom I have hunted on three occasions, carries a .470 Krieghoff when guiding for dangerous game. Jamy Traut, with whom I hunted in the Caprivi, carries a .500 by the same maker. My son's PH in the Zambezi Delta also carried a Krieghoff .500, though my friend Boet remains true to his Mauser 66 in .458. Of the remainder, CZ's in either .375, .416, and .458 WM or Lott predominated.
Interesting choice on the Mauser 66 for a PH.

I always thought a custom Mauser 66 in 375 H&H would be a great travel companion.
 
In part yes. The 500/416 was the original caliber of my S2. I acquired the .375 and '06 sets and never seemed to have a need for the 500/416. The .404 is a magnificent rifle by Craig Libhart that I had built around 2008 following my first safari because everyone should have a .404 for Africa. It too has never been across the Atlantic. The .470 was purchased about ten years ago because it was a great deal and I could perhaps use it on a buffalo or elephant. Somehow, none of those rifles or calibers could exceed the sheer utility of a .375 - particularly when I experienced having one in a R8.
Would have to agree. I have many big bores and enjoy their history, playing with them in the back yard and ownership. That’s where it ends. When it comes to travel and hunting it is a light weight takedown in 375 H&H.

There is nothing like shooting and enjoying a big bore but when it comes to packing one around all day for miles, most people are disillusioned. Unfortunately we no longer live in the era of porters and gun bearers.
 
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,928
Members
169,650
Latest member
CyrilJudy
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top