How many PH's are actually using double rifles?

Both Zim PH’s I’ve hunted with carried bolt guns. One was a 500 Jeffery.

All 3 Namibian PH’s carried bolt guns. 2 were 458 Lotts and 1 was an old 458WM that he used shooting elephants for the Government.

All 4 of the PH’s on my RSA DG Hunts carried Bolt Guns. 1-458WM, 1-Pre64 375, 1-416 Rem, and 1-458 Lott

I had a PG PH in Limpopo who carried a KGun DR in 470 while bushbuck hunting along the Limpopo River. He had a couple previous issues with a very specific bull hippo. Before he bought that gun, he carried a No 1 on 416 that his son (also a PH) was now using.

I'm a rookie but here is my experience with PH guns in the last 4 years.
I carry a scoped 375 ruger Alaskan scoped with a leopold 2-7x33 with 260gr nosler acubonds for accuracy, and 300gr for bigger plains game. (Giraffe, Eland etc.)
On DG hunts I use a 416 ruger Alaskan open sighted rifle (muscle memory having the same stocks). Most PH's order this gun after working with it, so its the fit and nearly no felt recoil that hooks them...I presume. Ammo is also cheap and has the traits of a good DG bolt action. Maser type action with the claw extractor. Its short, light and looks like a working gun. They're also cheap compared to other rifles.
I find doubles very heavy and you only have 2 shots and some have heavy recoil, which can make a difference on charges.
Most PH's I've seen use CZ 550, Winchester, BRUNO bolt actions and the answer is the same...I have a 3rd of 4th shot when I need it.
Devils advocate: If a bolt jams or fails...you're done...a double has a second clean barrel.

Kind regards and just my 2c.
Peet
What country are you in, it makes a difference.

Good afternoon gents,

I just had a generic question that I hope I can get feedback primarily from active guides and PH's.

Do you carry a double or have you moved to a bolt gun or do you go back and forth?

What caliber are you carrying on a daily basis?

I know there are a lot of opinions out there but I am looking for some straight forward answers from the guys in the ground.

Cheers
4 of the 6 PHs that we use, use double rifle all 470 evans, gibbs, heym & chapuis.

The most (so called) PHs I meet:
- Dont have the expierience/connections with doubles
- Dont have the money (10 k up) to buy a good one

Of course there are some exeptions, like "the star PHs" or some "true gentleman" (like Lon here, he has some of the greates rifles Ive ever seen, some real collector rifles).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smith29

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com