How many people have a 35 whelen?

Doesn’t use it. It’s too much gun for him.
@CBH Australia and @Forrest Halley
You is both wrong. The AI is a good cartridge but by the time you fire form it, get dies da da da. The extra velocity just isn't worth the playing around.
I will stick with my standard Whelen, load it properly and have fun.
As you both know I'm basically a lazy big bastard. Reloading for two wildcats is enough I don't need a 3rd
Bob

I plan to have one one day. Unfortunately I currently have no cartridges over 30 caliber. My next over 30 caliber is going to be a 35 whelen. Such a shame it is not offered in more factory rifles. My plan is to rebarrel a 30 06/280/270/25 06 winchester model 70 rifle when I finally add the great 35 whelen to my collection.

On the subject. I was thinking 22-24 inch barrel and 1 in 12 twist in a medium weight contour. What you all recommend for barrel specs for the 35 whelen?

I plan to have one one day. Unfortunately I currently have no cartridges over 30 caliber. My next over 30 caliber is going to be a 35 whelen. Such a shame it is not offered in more factory rifles. My plan is to rebarrel a 30 06/280/270/25 06 winchester model 70 rifle when I finally add the great 35 whelen to my collection.
@Rocco490
Don't ruin a good 280 or 25-06 but the others like the 270 who cares see if'n it can be rebored.
Bob

On the subject. I was thinking 22-24 inch barrel and 1 in 12 twist in a medium weight contour. What you all recommend for barrel specs for the 35 whelen?
@Rocco490
Perfect choice of twist and length. Mine is 25"
Bob

This could be a support group topic:

My name is Dave and I have a 36 Whelen. It is built on a 1909 Mauser with a 25” Douglas barrel and a Timney trigger. It likes CFE223 and 250 grain bullets. It sits in the safe next to my 338 WM and they get along well.

It sits in the safe next to my 338 WM and they get along well.
It sits in the safe next to the .338WM...that says it all!:E Laugh::E Lol:He's got another rifle in a useful caliber that he actually uses! Buy a useful caliber like .243 or .30-06 or .375! Never thought I'd get to rag on @CoElkHunter and @Bob Nelson 35Whelen with one post so eloquently stated.

:A Stirring::A Camping:

I had a 35 whelen move in a couple years ago. First rifle I built myself actually, on a DWM gew98, with fn alloy bottom metal, and some random unknown make fiberglass stock I found for damn near free. And a stout contour shilen cut at 21” and threaded for a can. Handles nice with a dead air primal. Wisner 3 position safety, old jaeger trigger. It does not live in the safe with my 338 win mag and 375, rather in the shop, or in the pickup, sometimes in my wife’s car. Often times in the field. I guess I like it or something. It spits out 200 grain ttsx over Varget into groups tight enough I’d get called a liar if I mentioned them. When it has a rough day and gets beat on, I touch the stock up with textured spray paint when we get home. It’s a beautiful thing, really.

20” here. Mine was a sporter Ruger .30-06 bored out. I love it for carrying but for shooting unsupported a little more meat out front would admittedly be better.

Mine shoots Sierra 225s really well but never has done really well with anything longer (despite being twisted properly).

I have a 250 Speer/Partition load that shoots to the same point of impact with either bullet so I can practice cheap. It is accurate enough for big game at realistic ranges but far from a tack driver. PAC-Nor owes me a barrel and thinking real serious about adding some heft to her.

Will probably stay at 20” though. Just too darn handy and with some of the newer powders getting carbines up to full rifle length velocities is not an issue.

IMG_2501.jpeg

I have two Whelen's... a Ruger No.1-A and an M77 Mark II... I almost had three, my ordered Ruger African came in a couple weeks ago, but had a 2x4 of a stock, and at $2500 with tax and shipping here in Canuckistan, I took a hard pass. I also have two .358 Win's, both Ruger carbines, still have the Ruger Sambar, although that is going to a buddy when he can sneak it past his wife... and a Ruger Mark II .358-375 Ruger. The only ones of these that are safe from future trading are the two .358 Carbines... I have two rifles on the way back from the gunsmith and they should shake up the gun cabinet a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heather387

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on WISafariHunter's profile.
About Lon's Elephant hunts w/Tokoloshe? I hear Lon is battling cancer? What is his long term prognosis? I am already booked to hunt Africa in 2024 2025. Might consider 2026 for another African hunt. I want to hunt a more wild open region devoid of civilization. Concern is the risk that I book f/2026 then find poor Lon has passed on? Does Lon have any assistance to carry on the business in his absence?
Life is Short live it how you want...
jgraco33 wrote on 85lc's profile.
Is your 22HP still available? If so have the original case?
tacklers wrote on ianevans's profile.
Hi Ian, I'm contemplating my first outing, leaving UK via Dubai to Africa, taking rifles as you did.

I presume it went okay for you, would you have done anything differently? Cheers, Richard East Sussex
A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?