How many of you hunt Africa with your Blaser???

dogcat1

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
DSC, NRA, WSF, B&C
Hunted
Ethiopia, South Africa, Namibia, Cameroon, CAR, Tanzania, Zambia, Uganda, Zimbabwe,
Well, fess up. How many of you hunt with your Blaser in Africa.
I own a couple and love them.
I have taken them twice to Africa - all good, no issues.
I have hunted Alaska with one and North America.

I get a lot of questions but when they feel it and handle it, most guides/PH's like the "feel".

I like the shorter overall rifle package. I have the thumbhole stock version and love that as well.

What say you???

Image1722980626.631617.jpg

Taken a Blaser to Africa twice with no issues and in fact made a quick second shot because of the fast action.

HH

Took my R8 with 300 and 375 to RSA in 2021 for a plains game safari. The combo worked out perfectly.
3L4A3448.jpeg

I’ve used mine on my last two safaris in Zim. I’ve taken the following animals with an R8.
1 Tuskless Elephant (375 H&H)
2 Cape Buffalo (375 H&H and 458 Win)
1 Heyena (375 H&H)
1 Baboon (375 H&H)
1 Bushbuck (375 H&H)

I find them very nice to hunt with. The short overall length is very helpful when hunting in thick bush. I plan to go after a bull elephant and another buffalo next year with an R8. So hopefully I can add some more to the talley.

Took my R8 with 300 win mag barrel a few weeks ago...waterbuck, bushbuck, huge sable.

IMG_3471 copy.jpeg

Taking R8 .416 in Oct for buff and lion...and a K95 in 22 Hornet for tiny 10.

When I travel (fly) to hunt, my R8 goes with me. Everywhere. I have .30-06, .300 win mag, .375H&H and .416 Ruger. Have taken everything from Duiker and Steinbuck to leopard, hippo, buffalo, and elephant. It is simply the best rifle I own for that use.

I haven't seen a 416 Ruger barrel for the R8 before. I have a 416 rem mag for mine.

Chad Allen was quite fond of the Blasers & brought them frequently to Africa he was/is a frequent hunter on 'This Is Africa'.

I haven't seen a 416 Ruger barrel for the R8 before. I have a 416 rem mag for mine.
Mine is a J Sip aftermarket barrel ( before they had as many issues with service)

Best international travel firearm ever created. Mine has taken two of my buffalo and a fairly large collection of Plains game from Suni to Eland.

2 hunts in Africa. Lots of hunting in the USA. 3rd hunt in Africa next month (4th total). It is a great platform. It works for DG and PG and fits in a small case.

R8 300 win and 375 h/h to Namibia, it is now my main platform. Southpaw. Love it!

IMG_1665.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunted with R8 taking 6.5 PRC & 300WM barrels for recent plains game hunt, it worked great. Heading back soon with 375H&H and 300WM barrels for buffalo hunt in Moz with possible Kudu/Sable if we get Buff and have extra days. So easy to travel with variety of barrels.

I'm expecting my GunFoam case tomorrow which is cut to accept 3 barrels, 3 scopes, 1 stock w/bolt & trigger installed, extra bolt & 2 mag inserts. Will be smaller than my V800 case for getting around airports and hotels, much nicer foam quality, and lighter weight overall.

I like the shorter overall rifle package. I have the thumbhole stock version and love that as well.

What say you???
There are three serious choices for hunting in Africa. I admit that.
This is not in any particular order.
1. Double rifle
2. Mauser 98 and clones
3. Blaser R8.

Nothing else is serious choice, but will work on a safari or two, including rental camp guns.
That being said, and I am conservative and traditional hunting type.
Financial priorities prevent me for obtaining proper double rifle, Blaser is not my cup of tea (too modern and advanced for me, with full appreciation to its features, straight pull system, shorted action due to mag placed over the trigger, mount system, exchangeable barrels, accuracy, modularity and various stock option, etc), but in any case I stuck with mauser.

nevertheless, it is excellent choice and more and more hunters choose blaser r8, which also features easy to travel way with short light case. I never heard for a blaser failure in the face of dangerous game animal.
We also face general lack of big bore calibers in factory guns on the market, but with blaser there is no such shortages, all calibers are available. So it seams, blaser is high end factory solution for everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PasqualeSt

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!