How many client hunters have been charged, and how many have been hurt or wounded while on Safari?

towserthemouser

AH member
Reaction score
This is perhaps a touchy subject, but this forum impresses me as a place filled with members who are not afraid to discuss difficult things. I'm curious to know how many here have either personally been hurt or wounded on Safari, or have knowledge or stories of hunters being injured or killed. Just kind of curious to know how often it happens.

The inquiry would include of course injuries related to adverse encounters with game animals, and would also include falls while hunting/hiking, vehicular incidents, drowning, snakebite, etc. This would not be meant to include things like having a heart attack or other medical event while on Safari. As a side note I'm curious how many have experienced a charge from a wounded animal, and also any who have experienced an "unprovoked" (non-wounded) animal.

I noted a recent comment about how sad it was to mark the passing of several PH's over the years (including one lost recently in a buffalo attack), and it made me wonder how often it happens with the hunters.

I personally have been charged by a wounded buffalo. All ended well, although we were fully adrenalized when it was over, I can tell you that. I've written a story about the experience, and it has been accepted for publication in the October print edition of Field Ethos Journal. I'll share the link when it comes out, it's a pretty good story......

I took it in the guts after two safaris by a certain taxidermist over there. Does that count?

Experienced a Cape Buffalo change I 2001. Tracker was tossed and we all got a West Texas ass kicking. PH w/ a .470NE and me w/ a 500 NE ended it after failing to stop initial charge. The tracker who was between me and the PH had a .375.
Solid a bit hi and ricocheted off his boss. Absolutely no impact. I shot the buffalo thru the R eye. Missed the brain. Reminded me of a vampire movie.
It changed how I approach this DG business

When the warthog A10 isnt enough

Check out our 2017 hunt report. We were hunting in the Save with our wives. My buddy’s PH was put down by a cow ele in an unprovoked charge. My buddy killed her with a point blank shot from his .375. His knee got buggered but everyone survived.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim T

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!