How many client hunters have been charged, and how many have been hurt or wounded while on Safari?

I think that's right. Most exciting thing I ever did! After tge last shot the PH said "Oh this is just bloody great!" I asked him what he meant. He said, "Now you'll have to go back to the states and tell your mates how you had to save your professionals ass! (Pronounced " oss"). I asked if that's what I did. He smiled and said, "He was pretty broken up, I might have been able to stay away from him long enough to get my rifle working. But I'm awfully glad I didn't have to. I just love you Yanks that can shoot!
I'd say you can legitimately claim some credit for helping to save his oss.

I was charged in thick cover in Zimbabwe on my first buff hunt. The buffalo had retreated to it after I put one in the boiler room, then became a spectator and forgot to keep shooting. The thing was, it's friend got upset and charged with him. We had forgotten his buddy because it had entered the bush well ahead of the shot. The PH could only see their legs as they ran, it was that thick. They turned of their own accord and did not press all the way through with the charge. It is a claustrophobic feeling to hear them cracking brush and not be able to see them.

Charged by a client’s gut shot 6x7 bull elk at close range. Luckily I got a quick shot into it just a few yards away and then I jumped to the side. It fell right where I had been standing. I also was charged by a client’s wounded brown bear on the Alaskan Peninsula last May and put it down at about 15 yards. Nothing in Africa so far.

Driving back to camp at the conclusion of the hunt in the Save in Zim we passed a watering hole. An Elephant herd had been there and took to the trees as soon as we came into sight. While passing, a large Cow with what may have been a dependent calf came back out trumpeting. We were more than 40 yards driving passed and she pursued us.

We took off faster down the road and she followed. She turned back into the trees and we slowed down to watch at a distance. She then came back out to the road extremely close to us and we took off again and she kept pursuing. She played this cat and mouse game for hundreds of yards. The trackers and game scout in the back were visible nervous.

Thankfully we were in the truck, but had been in a blind at that watering hole the day before.

The sound that cow made while charging us lives on in my head. Like nothing I had heard before around other elephants or on any television program featuring them before. A both eerie and incredible experience.

Most of our accounts have been charged quite a bit!! Make that first shot count and those are the only charges you will experience sans cow elephants with calves immature bulls and hippos on or close to land.

In 1989, hunting the Alaskan peninsula, my guide and I crossed paths with a female brown bear and a cub. At 17 yards she stood up to get a look at us, I said to my guide, ‘Will she charge us?’, his reply, ‘no, she’ll f*** off!’ Here I was, 17 yards from an angry brown bear, my guide doesn’t have a round in his chamber and his scope was covered up, she drops and comes straight at us. It was at that exact moment I knew without a doubt there is a God, as I raised my rifle and shot her in the mouth causing her to roll down the steep embankment and drown in the stream. There’s not a snowballs chance I could ever make that shot on my own. Sincerely, God saved my life that day.

I don’t have any harrowing safari stories, but a do have few with hunting clients and a personal story with a brown bear
1 .had a clients son who wanted to shoot a huge feral hog , so I put him in a blind that had a regular visitor hog , pat ( son ) comes into camp and says he had shot the hog but thinks he made a bad shot and it ran off after going down , we drive over to the blind and feeder and he tells me that the hog wasn’t near the blind, but was feeding on a old rotten dead cow about 200 meters from the blind , I grab my 300wm and he his Christmas present 45-70 and walked over to the dead cow , I find a blood trail and we are following it when I smell the hog ( which smells like dead cow) then see the hog laying in the tall grass still alive but hurt bad , tell pat to finish it off , he cocks the hammer and pulls the trigger and hammer falls on a spent shell !! On the click all hell breaks loose and knocks down pat and is trying to eat his face off, I shoot the hog point blank in the ribs, and it runs off, we check for any holes in pat who is covered in blood and hog guts with dead cow , he is ok but majorly shook up , we get a couple of rounds loaded into the 45-70 and find the now seriously injured hog but still Alive and finished it off
Pat suffered some cracked ribs and a sore arm

#2 had a guy have a negligent discharge and shot his foot off
I was playing 2nd to the owner, and the client was standing on a cement floor talking with his 30-06 resting on his foot, I saw him and said we don’t allow guns in the camp yard, he asked why and I said it was a safety issue, he said he had been handling guns his whole life and besides the gun was unloaded, we called a air ambulance for him
30-06 + cement explosion = a terrible injury

#3 had a hunter fall 12 feet out of a deer stand and land on top of me , Breaking his fall
Only damage was we both got the wind knocked out of us

Last was on a personal hunt for moose and caribou on the Naknek river in Alaska
Had a bear come in to camp one night and disagree with our tent location and proceeded to growl and chomp its teeth all night only a couple feet from the tent
Next day we found a giant pile of wormy bear scat next to the tent!
, it definitely wasn’t scared of humans

And yes any village dog or camp dog in Africa should be considered more dangerous than getting bitten by a snake

I went Bear hunting in NE Oregon with a friend from Texas. This Texan wants to get a good Black Bear, Oregon of all the Game we have we also have a lot of Bears easy to get tags. we end up drawing Wenaha Spring Bear tag our plan was to float the Grand Ronde river in a Mckenzie river Boat and spot and stalk as the Bears would be grazing green grass on the sides of the canyon, getting there digestive track going after hibernation.it was early May and we had a heat wave got into the 90's in May that is unusual, the green grass went from green to brown on the shallow soil on the sides of the canyon in less than 24 hours the river went flood stage in no time at all so our plan went out the window. We went to the boat landing what should've been a 3 day float became a 2 day float, we pulled the boat out and went to the top of the mountain where it was cooler and some shade for the Bears. I told him I just watched an episode of Jim Shockey calling Bears and it worked so thats what we're going to do. The first morning no luck, but that evening we tried again on my Foxpro I was playing Bear cub in distress, within a few minutes I heard quite a ruckus it was pretty thick country so I couldn't see the best, I finally seen something Brown coming in my direction and it was going to cross right in front of the Texan, I guessed it was pretty close to him so I muted the call so it might stop for a shot opportunity, it got quiet no shot the Bear wasn't woofing anymore, I'm setting against deadfall tree I'm right handed, so I turn the call back on to get the Bear to move for my buddy so he can get a shot, when I did that the Bear came out of thick Christmas sized trees to my right 15 yards away a HUGE Bear is coming right at me everything went into slow motion all of a sudden I stood up swung around with 300 WIN popped Bear in chest he went a bit backwards and turned to his right, I put another in his shoulder and he died. I walked over to this "500 lb Bear" and here was a 150lb Bear laying there dead, my Texan walked into view and I said where's the Bear I shot, he laughed pretty hard saying the Bear stopped right in front of him and he decided it was too small, he didn't have any way of warning me that it was small Bear but he knew the second I turned on that call that was dead Bear. It was a great adrenaline!! rush. The Moral of the story is think of yourself with a 150 lb NFL safety coming at you, that would hurt pretty bad, add teeth and claws that would be extremely bad, but the thing I liked the best is how I reacted in that situation , it was a beautiful Bear cinnamon phase, but I wanted my Texan friend to get a Bear but he never did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DollyArons

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!