How inaccurate a double rifle when?

DSC02510.JPG.jpg

100m target... full power load.
This is, how a well barrel regulated double should perform....
Every attempt with "load developement" I considere voodoo.... ....and waste of money!

HWL
 
View attachment 589683
100m target... full power load.
This is, how a well barrel regulated double should perform....
Every attempt with "load developement" I considere voodoo.... ....and waste of money!

HWL
Wow!!!!! Simply outstanding!!! Congratulations!!! While I believe my DR can do this unfortunately I cannot but still very happy. I also believe one thing not mentioned yet…for me reloading for precision just gives me confidence. I am an average shooter at best…I need all the confidence I can get!!!
 
Wow!!!!! Simply outstanding!!! Congratulations!!! While I believe my DR can do this unfortunately I cannot but still very happy. I also believe one thing not mentioned yet…for me reloading for precision just gives me confidence. I am an average shooter at best…I need all the confidence I can get!!!
As you can imagine, I cannot do a performance like this every day. But thats not the point. The point is, with a muzzle device you can regulate the point of impact of every barrel, no matter what load, bullet or whatsoever you use. I also reload all my ammunition, for best accuracy, best power and best terminal performance....... but not to regulate point of impact...... thats voodoo.... and just eats your time & money.

HWL
 
Lon,

There is no pot stirring at all.

If I came into your camp I'd darn sure listen to you and do as you say when elephant hunting. Am I mean everything!

But, when a PH tells me something I either do not know or understand, I will ask for more information on it. For that I am not questioning their direction, but simply want to learn. I had a PH once who seemed to take offence to such questions. Needless to say he will never get my business again... A friend and fellow AH'er told me of a PH who is a walking encyclopedia. I want to hunt with him someday!

Accurate shooting and coaching shooters is, or at least at least long ago, was my camp. If one asks a question, I will explain why and provide references.

Go eat your ribs my friend!
Mark
Mark the ribs were outstanding.

A very long time ago. This was caused by a defective trigger on my Perazzi. If I had what appeared to be a slow flying easy sporting clay target I could not physically make myself pull the trigger, yes that is a form if flinch, which I am sure that you are aware of.

I read every book and article I could find on this subject . I even found out golphers some times have a similar problem. Nothing I read worked. Finally I had Perazzi build me an identical sporting gun. The first loads I fired were light 1oz. Loads. Finally going back to 1 1/8 both mine & AAs.

Flinch 98% solved. My point is reading about a subject can lead you down both the right and wrong path. At the end of the day it is only the results that count.

I also say it is fun to stir the pot.

Lon
 
What happens when you use a different ammo in a double rifle than the the type it's regulated with?
How much difference it makes under 60-70 yards where a typical DG hunt happens?
I am still a novice as it relates to doubles but I think this is the most overblown issue. Maybe I am wrong and some guns run the bullets off the paper when loads are changed but it has not been my experience. What I think happens is that guys want super accuracy at the range and the double is just not going to be as accurate as other rifles. each person must decide what is good enough.
 
The question for me is why the general recommendation seems to be that one should buy a life long supply of cartridges from the same batch as the double rifle has been regulated for...

I have deduced that this is because the regulation will change between different batches of ammunition and therefore probably change even more between different makes of ammunition and even more between different weights of bullets. I have however never tried if this is true, just trusted the advice of those who know more then me:)

It would be interesting to know if anyone here has experience with practical tests of changes in regulation between different batches and makes of ammunition? Usually the problem, I assume, would appear on hunting trips if one is separated from the ammunition and has to find replacement in for example Africa.
 
Yes, to changes in regulation concerning changes in batche, bullets powders primers. That is why I hoard my ammo. If you arrive in my campy without .470 ammo. I will do anything possible to find you ammo as long as it is not mine.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,350
Messages
1,573,718
Members
169,836
Latest member
Talkingbeesonlinetutor
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top