How important is SD for plains game?

Just a dude in BC

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Good day All,

So the context of this is that I am heading to Africa in Aug with a new rifle (A Krieghoff double riffle drilling) in 9.3x74r. This rifle is going to be used for plains game, specifically: Zebra, Gemsbok, maybe a Giraffe, that kind if thing. No Eland; and the Giraffe I may take with my dg rifle (A custom Ruger no.1 in 500 nitro).
The bullets I am probably going to use are either 250gr or 285gr Northfork soft point, though I do have some other 285's (Norma oryx and nosler partition).

With that being said, how necessary is it really, to have the 285 gr. I know that is the age old standard for DG, but with the biggest plains game likely to be an 800lb zebra, I really can't seem to see how a 250gr Northfork wont do the job with plenty to spare. The reason I am bringing this up is that this rifle seems to really prefer lighter bullets, and groups amazingly well with anything 270gr and lighter. When shooting the 270gr speer hotcor it shoots perfectly parallel out of both 9.3 barrels. Though I don't believe the hotcor is a sturdy enough bullet for Africa, and in bonded bullets my choices are either 285 or 250gr.

Side note I am in Canada, so I don't have access to all kinds of different bullets.

So... Is SD really that important for plains game? Or will the 250gr northfork be plenty? What are your thoughts and experience in using quality 250gr bullets in 9.3 on plains game.

If the 250's shoot to the regulation you should be fine. I have shot 11-12ish animals in africa with blue wildebeest being the largest and diker the smallest with 250 Nosler Accubonds in 9.3x74 single shot and 9.3x62 bolt guns. You shot have no problems, I would look at the heaiver 285-320 gr for Roan, Eland and Giraffe though.

If the 250's shoot to the regulation you should be fine. I have shot 11-12ish animals in africa with blue wildebeest being the largest and diker the smallest with 250 Nosler Accubonds in 9.3x74 single shot and 9.3x62 bolt guns. You shot have no problems, I would look at the heaiver 285-320 gr for Roan, Eland and Giraffe though.
For the Giraffe, I will probably just use the 500ne and be done with it. Though, if I can get the 285 to regulate then maybe that is the better choice. So far though, it's been the lighter bullets that work for it.

Head to Africa and have fun. Your gun/bullet combinations are more than adequate for any and everything you've mentioned. You shooting is much, much more important. As with almost any game, where you hit it (with modern bullets and powders) is vastly more important than what you hit it with.

As general advice, use the the heaviest gun you are comfortable shooting, and the best bullets. Always.

That solid advice on record, with modern bullets and powders, almost everything works. I've hunted with all 5 of my children in Africa. Whenever the kids are around, the PHs or lodge owner/operators always seem to have a 'culling gun' around. My daughter was 9 when she took a variety of plains game including Zebra with a suppressed .222 bolt gun. Not my recommendation mind you, but lots of game is killed with those guns. I shot a monster Eland with a 25-06; again, not a recommendation but its what I had in had when the opportunity presented itself. Choice was to pass over the animal or make a good shot. I was comfortable doing it because I shoot a lot, and was very comfortable that when I pulled the trigger the bullet was going to hit where I aimed. That Eland dropped to the shot.

When doing Safari preparation, this is an excellent forum and a host of excellent advice. Its also fun, so debate the best rifle, bullet, cartridge etc. for whatever game you are pursuing, for as long as you want. Its all part of the African experience.

When it comes to reality, if you have hunted whitetail deer anywhere in North America, in reality you have the gun, bullets, boots, shorts, pants and whatever else you need for every African game animal up to the dangerous game. When its Buffalo or up, Use Enough Gun and then some.

And before, during and after you have done all the other prep, shoot more often.

You will be fine. I am sure you have looked it up, but the 250 gives you a SD of 267 which is almost identical to a .338 firing a 210 gr bullet. The latter is often recommended as a superb PG option. Moreover, with your double, you aren't going to be trying to reach out to 300 yards.

@Cleathorn Shooting accurately is the one thing I am not worried about! This was my 2019 trip to Bisley England, on the Canadian Armed Forces international shooting team. Though I will admit that my Krieg has a noticeably different feel than a C-7

1719786832569.png

@Cleathorn Shooting accurately is the one thing I am not worried about! This was my 2019 trip to Bisley England, on the Canadian Armed Forces international shooting team. Though I will admit that my Krieg has a noticeably different feel than a C-7

View attachment 617081

Impressive sir! Canada punches way above its weight in long range shooting, and it appears that you are part of the reason why, eh?!

The 250’s will be fine. The 270 gr hotcors would work just fine as well. My 9.3 likes the 286 AFrame and 270 HotCors. I am an AFrame addict so u know which way I lean!

View attachment 617081
I believe you’re set, go have fun!
We‘d all probably like to hear abou your trip when you return!

I'd use the .500 Nitro on the Giraffe just for the fun of it. Putting big holes in big critters is a worthy endeavor.

For the rest, you'll be perfectly fine. The 9.3x74 is no slouch and either of those bullet choices are already on the big end of what is used for PG. As others have said, much smaller is used routinely "over there."

Many, many eland, lions, and zebras have fallen to the old .308 with mediocre bullets.

@BryceM - I do plan on using the 500 NE, I figure a body shot with that and I can't go wrong!

@WAB - I had wondered about the hotcor, my rifle absolutely loves them, left and right barrel always place them around 3/4" beside each other, and at 2480fps. It's going to be my go to hunting bullet here in Canada. And on the subject of A-Frames, that is what I am going to run in my 500 nitro, I lucked into a box of the 570gr. And thanks for the compliment!

@F. Vaccaro - For sure I will post when I get back, a buddy and I are going, we are each looking for a smattering of plains game, and a Buff.

I have not used a 9.3x74r, but I have used a 9.3x62. My load was the 258gr hammer bullet pushed by 65gr CFE223 for 2589fps from my 22” barrel. I shot a zebra stallion and a mare. Both one shot drops. My sable dropped twice but after the first got up and ran due to a high shot in high grass. Oryx one shot <75yd tracking job… impala… springbok… all the same story except for a defiant waterbuck.

Long story short, the north fork 250 (or any other premium or semi-premiumbullet) pushed anywhere above 2400 and put into the vitals is going to drop animals and leave good blood trails.

Last point. 270 hot cores work great on whitetail deer. But even at 400 yds when started at 2400; they come apart easily and mushroom huge. They’re pretty soft compared to other bullets I’ve tried.

@112Savage That is what I thought about the hotcor. I bought a bunch for practice, and they grouped amazingly. So they may become my defacto deer round.

My rifle shoots the 270 HotCor and 286 A-Frame to the same POI with identical accuracy. Have you tried the 286 gr AFrame?

My rifle shoots the 270 HotCor and 286 A-Frame to the same POI with identical accuracy. Have you tried the 286 gr AFrame?
I have not tried the A-Frame yet, at the time I was buying up bullets to test I could not find any. Currently I have some 250gr Norths, some 285 partitions, and some 285 norma oryx (which seem to have almost the same shape as the hotcor). I plan on getting out this week and running some tests on them to see how they all shoot.
Good advice though, so I will take a look for some A-frames.

Reactions: WAB
You’ve already made some good rifle/ bullet choices, and you have the skills that predict you will shoot well, so go forth and slay beasts big and small with confidence! For what it’s worth, I used the 285 gr. Norma Oryx to take a giraffe with a chest shot with no trouble. My 9.3x74 doesn’t like the A frames but the Oryx shoot very accurately in all three of my 9.3 rifles. Love their terminal performance too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeggyBabba

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on 9412765's profile.
RE: Interarms Whitworth 375HH f/sale f/$850. If still available, I will buy it. I am in KY can do a face to face deal. My e-mail is:

kent.warco.llc@gmail.com or PM me here. Cell is: 606-923-3162

Your 5 hrs f/me. You travel to OH w/work. If you can be at Cincinnati, OH that 1/2 way. I can travel most days but Friday afternoons are best. Let's set up a date/time/location to meet up.
thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.