How did you get your handle or user name?

Just my name

Back when I was a criminology student attending the University of Miami there were several Daves in one class. I was a road deputy at the time working for the Broward Sheriff's Office... The different Daves all got nicknames... The professor tagged me with BSO Dave, and it has stuck all these years...

Since retiring I've spent many summers in the bean, alfalfa, and mulch hay fields helping my farmer buddies control groundhogs, aka woodchucks, aka whistle pigs. Whenever I was asked by my spouse or buddies what my plans for the day were, I'd reply "I'm going on hogpatrol".

As I peruse those many threads on AH Forum that interest me, I often wonder about the story or meaning behind the handle or user names of the posters. Many are intuitive to me, but with others, I'd just be taking a wild guess. I've had the good fortune to get to know a select few on here really well and have their back stories, but for the rest, I'd love to hear how you got your name - please do share.

Ku-winda, by the way, is the name of Otto Koehler's Journal detailing his safari to Kenya and Tanganyika in the mid 50's. It means "to hunt" in Swahili and was the source and inspiration to many of us in South Texas and directly responsible for setting me on a path to adventures of my own on the Dark Continent.
Since I was 12 years old my parents taught me to always do what I thought was the right thing to do and never care for what the crowd thought. Being a middle child I have always been extremely independent. Due to this one of my high school friends said I was a “rare breed”. The name has stuck with me all my life so it seemed natural to use it as my AKA for AH

Since I was 12 years old my parents taught me to always do what I thought was the right thing to do and never care for what the crowd thought. Being a middle child I have always been extremely independent. Due to this one of my high school friends said I was a “rare breed”. The name has stuck with me all my life so it seemed natural to use it as my AKA for AH
lol…my parents did not start teaching me values starting at 12! Peer pressure just starts about this age

Birding has been a longtime hobby of mine, the Elegant Trogon is a favorite target to see in the mountains of southeast Arizona. Found my first driving up Sawmill Canyon on Fort Huachuca years ago. Had to pick something I figure.

My bother inadvertently gave me mine. My boat is shaped like an F-117 Stealth Fighter from the front. I think boats with Birds in the name are cool. He figured out the F-117 is named Nighthawk. I just adopted the handle.

IMG_6112.jpeg

The alternative was Hellcat. My boat being a catamaran. Equally cool boat name.

Both being better than my buddies suggested name: “Cirrhosis of the river”…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
medicalbooks43

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?