How did you get your handle or user name?

Ku-winda

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, DSC Foundation Treasurer, Life Member
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Australia, New Zealand
As I peruse those many threads on AH Forum that interest me, I often wonder about the story or meaning behind the handle or user names of the posters. Many are intuitive to me, but with others, I'd just be taking a wild guess. I've had the good fortune to get to know a select few on here really well and have their back stories, but for the rest, I'd love to hear how you got your name - please do share.

Ku-winda, by the way, is the name of Otto Koehler's Journal detailing his safari to Kenya and Tanganyika in the mid 50's. It means "to hunt" in Swahili and was the source and inspiration to many of us in South Texas and directly responsible for setting me on a path to adventures of my own on the Dark Continent.

My initials and the country I come from.

As I peruse those many threads on AH Forum that interest me, I often wonder about the story or meaning behind the handle or user names of the posters. Many are intuitive to me, but with others, I'd just be taking a wild guess. I've had the good fortune to get to know a select few on here really well and have their back stories, but for the rest, I'd love to hear how you got your name - please do share.

Ku-winda, by the way, is the name of Otto Koehler's Journal detailing his safari to Kenya and Tanganyika in the mid 50's. It means "to hunt" in Swahili and was the source and inspiration to many of us in South Texas and directly responsible for setting me on a path to adventures of my own on the Dark Continent.
Found out I couldn’t change it

Three decades as a Field Artillery officer.

My best friend started calling me that nearly 35 year's ago to distinguish me from about 6 other David's in his life.

I was crazy interested in Africa in college, drove a Landcruiser, almost always dressed in tan or olive, and always wore hiking boots.

My wife of 33 years started dating me when I drove one of these, that looked just like this...

1727493058742.jpeg

Last edited:
I live in and hunt the hill country in Northeast Tennessee.

In an episode of Gunsmoke, Festus referred to being from back in the hills of Tennessee and one of Festus' kinfolk in that same episode referred to being called a ridge runner.

It was on the third, fourth, or fifth trying different usernames before the system accepted my username.

From the Robert Heinlein novel "Starship Troopers."

Also, drive a white pickup truck.

They are the most camouflaged vehicle in the world!

I often show up to places where people aren’t expecting me or don’t know what is going on. So “Hi I’m John the electrician” breaks down many of those barriers.

You would be amazed at where you are allowed to go with a clipboard and a hard hat!

John the electrician

My other addiction, Cummins motors.

My white Dodge Ram 3500 gets 24 MPG when I'm not towing...

When I bought this bad boy in 1987, my future wifey just couldn't resist!

1727495271068.jpeg

She even got a hunter's safety certification, let me buy her a hunting license, and went hunting a few times!

As soon as wedding cake passed her lips, she has never hunted again.

But, she has been an "observer" a few times, and is very good at cooking big game.

I'm fine with that...

Found out I couldn’t change it
No you can change them. Jerome can do that for you.
I noticed existing posts from Von Gruff on the site are under the handle NZtimb last I saw.

MIGRA BILL. My name is Bill. I am a Retired Special Agent with Immigration. When ever I showed up on a job site, they yelled "Migra"! And ran away. Hence - Migra Bill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrookeBich

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?