How concerned should I be?

crossone

AH member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Quick question before I'm going camping with my wife for the weekend (just so you know that I'm not ignoring anyone, just no service for 2 days).

I sent my deposit for my buffalo hunt in Mozambique in May. Signed a sheet with stated prices on it, have a quote with the final price on it, and received a verbal quote in February from the PH at a Sportsman’s show all the same number. Anyway, the request came through yesterday for the rest of the hunt price (hunt is in September, plane tickets, clothes, rifle, ammo, etc. all bought) and the request is for an additional $1,200 above the initial agreement.

Now, this hunt is going to be $20k (hunt, travel, air) so $1,200 isn't a giant deal all things considered. My concern is that someone are their end seems to view our agreement as flexible enough to decide to push through some price increases after I paid my deposit and made all of my plans. If, they had stated, government fees had increased, or fuel, or whatever, I don't think I would mind but to increase the price and simply state that they had sent an updated price list (which wasn't a single number but a big pile of garbage that listed trophy fees, and daily rates, and blah, blah, blah) which I didn't even read because I already had a quote and paid my deposit, feels shady.

Is it common for safari companies to just raise prices at the last minute?

Am I a Nervous Nelly or should I just pay the extra $1,200 and forget it?

Thanks all!

That sure doesn't sound right to me. Have you asked them specifically yet about the basis for the increase. Is it a quote or a signed contract by both parties?

Is this a price change, or billing for items not included in the contract? (ie: license, charter, hotel, etc..)

It’s not small change for most. You set a budget and found a deal within budget. It’s probably asking 10% more than the actual hunt cost that you agreed to.

You should be asking the outfitter what’s up with the price increase…. Not us

Yea I wouldn't agree to that without some serious questioning.

Eh, just ask the outfitter. Could be a mistake. Could be a reason for the price increase.

Sometimes people who have decided to make their living out in the wilderness aren’t the best at spreadsheets.

Hi all.

Quick question before I'm going camping with my wife for the weekend (just so you know that I'm not ignoring anyone, just no service for 2 days).

I sent my deposit for my buffalo hunt in Mozambique in May. Signed a sheet with stated prices on it, have a quote with the final price on it, and received a verbal quote in February from the PH at a Sportsman’s show all the same number. Anyway, the request came through yesterday for the rest of the hunt price (hunt is in September, plane tickets, clothes, rifle, ammo, etc. all bought) and the request is for an additional $1,200 above the initial agreement.

Now, this hunt is going to be $20k (hunt, travel, air) so $1,200 isn't a giant deal all things considered. My concern is that someone are their end seems to view our agreement as flexible enough to decide to push through some price increases after I paid my deposit and made all of my plans. If, they had stated, government fees had increased, or fuel, or whatever, I don't think I would mind but to increase the price and simply state that they had sent an updated price list (which wasn't a single number but a big pile of garbage that listed trophy fees, and daily rates, and blah, blah, blah) which I didn't even read because I already had a quote and paid my deposit, feels shady.

Am I a Nervous Nelly or should I just pay the extra $1,200 and forget it?

Thanks all!
Absolutely not!!! If I understand correctly your hunt is two months away and they want to charge an additional $1200. Bad outfitter in my opinion and I would not hunt with them. Just my two cents

I hope it works out for you. If not maybe share the outfitters name at some point to help others avoid. Of course if it works out to be an error or some other justifiable reason or they do right by you then share that info too.
That's what makes AH such a great place!

Hope this isn't becoming a trend......

Sure, outfitters are seeing price increases, but ANY variation from the initial agreement needs to be carefully explained, and then accepted or rejected. Surprises like that without an explanation just aren't OK.

Ask the question of the outfitter politely, but in a way that it's abundantly clear that you want an explanation and you want it quickly.

There might be a perfectly good reason, and it might just be an honest mistake.

Bad way to start out though.........

If you’ve got the itemized quote/contract and the new pricing compare them. What’s costing more than quoted/contracted? I’d suggest a conversation with the outfitter. Not knowing where you’re hunting in Mozambique or with who, I’d start by looking at the Air Charter, Fuel, Daily Rates, and Licensing fees to see if that’s where the increase lies.

Is the outfitter a well regarded outfitter in Mozambique or an outfitter in another country who occasionally operates in Mozambique?

It is not common, but there was one similar thread on the forum just few days ago.

That being said, in general the outfitter has the right to change the prices, but doing this in the last moment after the agreement is signed, is not good business practice.

It is not common, but there was one similar thread on the forum just few days ago.

That being said, in general the outfitter has the right to change the prices, but doing this in the last moment after the agreement is signed, is not good business practice.
I wouldn't say the outfitter has the "right" to arbitrarily change prices after agreement. The other thread referred to is a different scenario. That client belatedly asked for an extra day and the daily rate for that day was jacked way up. Here the original package agreement has been high balled after OP has committed. The operator CAN do this because the client has no option but to agree to it. Client can ask for his deposit back. Good luck with that! MAYBE he can get some money back on air fare but the outfitter is probably betting against that being an option. So OP is over a barrel.

Talk to him nice and see if this is a "mistake." If that doesn't work, email him a link to this thread. That should send a message that will get results.

The operator CAN do this because the client has no option but to agree to it.
This is one way of putting it. ;)

I will just add that on some offers I have seen disclaimer stating that prices can change by the outfitters decision.

Well it does happen, at least in Europe that's nothing uncommon.

You often sign a contract where there is a so called indexation clause... but of course in this case it's not a surprise, because you signed it. Usually if the price index is above a certain level, the prices from the contract will be raised a little bit... if the price index rises but is still under the agreed percentage you win, the other way round you loose...

But as far as I understood it's uncommon in the US to do so...

Edit: that said, the time for the rise is still a little bit strange. I was informed 6 month prior the hunt that my red stag might cost 7% more and I agreed

Last edited:
I would ask questions and expect answers. It’s all a professional business agreement and should be treated as such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaemswarren

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt