Hot blue / barrel restoration recommendation needed

Boardwalk72

AH member
Reaction score
Hello all, I need a few references for a barrel restoration. I recently purchased a model 70 that was advertised with some bluing loss on the barrel. Turns out there is a fair amount of light pitting as well on most of the loss spots so it's going to need a re-polish and blue or re-polish and convert to rust blue instead of high polish hot blue.

If anyone has a strong recommendation for someone who could do this work please let me know.

Many thanks!

I would check around for a local gunsmith and see if they can handle it at a reasonable cost.

Otherwise you could check with Turnbull and add some shipping costs on top of the work.

I do blueing, rust and hot nitre
Totally agree rust bluing is infinately more durable, and personally I find that deep satin lustre far more appealing. Once you are set up it is not that difficult, just time consuming to get it right.

I actually have a rust blue setup and have done a couple of shotguns.

I might rust blue this barrel. I wanted to keep the factory finish, but, the rust blue is certainly more durable and the receiver is a satin blue already so the rust blue would look good.

This is my 9.3X64Brenneke on an Enfield P14 that I rust blued. I prefer a satin finish.
20240705_183251.jpg

20240705_183309.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyEli

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]