Hot blue / barrel restoration recommendation needed

Boardwalk72

AH member
Reaction score
Hello all, I need a few references for a barrel restoration. I recently purchased a model 70 that was advertised with some bluing loss on the barrel. Turns out there is a fair amount of light pitting as well on most of the loss spots so it's going to need a re-polish and blue or re-polish and convert to rust blue instead of high polish hot blue.

If anyone has a strong recommendation for someone who could do this work please let me know.

Many thanks!

I would check around for a local gunsmith and see if they can handle it at a reasonable cost.

Otherwise you could check with Turnbull and add some shipping costs on top of the work.

I do blueing, rust and hot nitre
Totally agree rust bluing is infinately more durable, and personally I find that deep satin lustre far more appealing. Once you are set up it is not that difficult, just time consuming to get it right.

I actually have a rust blue setup and have done a couple of shotguns.

I might rust blue this barrel. I wanted to keep the factory finish, but, the rust blue is certainly more durable and the receiver is a satin blue already so the rust blue would look good.

This is my 9.3X64Brenneke on an Enfield P14 that I rust blued. I prefer a satin finish.
20240705_183251.jpg

20240705_183309.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungR7748

Latest profile posts

We have been very busy hunting! Lots of pictures and videos in process!

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!
Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here