Hornady DGX not performing......

There is no excuse for such bad bullet bring up. Hornady needs to wake up.

All about the money unfortunately....

As long as there are people, and plenty of them, who won't open there eyes and see what an inferior bullet DGX really is they will continue to sell them as the world's cheapest "premium bullet." :rolleyes:

Sad really.

Everybody getting in line to do some Hornady bashing. I don't disagree that the DGX and DGS leave a little to be disired. I use Swift A-Frames a lot, but I also have been a fan of some Hornady bullets and ammo too. I have had lots of one shot kills using the the Superformace SST. So has my daughter.

One thing you can say about Hornady is they have probably done more for African type caliber ammo than any other US ammo maker. When they decided to come out with 458 Lott factory ammo (with Ruger chambering rifles in that caliber), that really brought the wildcat to the mainstream. Resurrected the 404J too, making factory ammo reasonably price. Who else produces 275 Rigby factory ammo? Look at the list and tell me what other US company does as many Nitro Express cartridges?

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ballistics/2017-Standard-Ballistics.pdf

CHOOSE BY CALIBER

Attachments

Everybody getting in line to do some Hornady bashing. I don't disagree that the DGX and DGS leave a little to be disired. I use Swift A-Frames a lot, but I also have been a fan of some Hornady bullets and ammo too. I have had lots of one shot kills using the the Superformace SST. So has my daughter.

One thing you can say about Hornady is they have probably done more for African type caliber ammo than any other US ammo maker. When they decided to come out with 458 Lott factory ammo (with Ruger chambering rifles in that caliber), that really brought the wildcat to the mainstream. Resurrected the 404J too, making factory ammo reasonably price. Who else produces 275 Rigby factory ammo? Look at the list and tell me what other US company does as many Nitro Express cartridges?
Certainly no denying this.
My question is though after many, many disgruntled customers, how hard would it have been for them to turn the DGX and DGS into a proper bonded soft point and good well constructed solid?
Imagine their market position now had they done that?
with their background and behind the scenes knowledge there is no doubt they could have improved on a marginal product fairly easily.

The image that comes to mind involves dirty pants. But hey, you had your PH there to help clean up the mess, the lion that is, not your pants. <----- This second sentence said with extreme sarcasm, just in case it doesn't come across.

A PH who's really concerned about customer service would go that extra mile!

Certainly no denying this.
My question is though after many, many disgruntled customers, how hard would it have been for them to turn the DGX and DGS into a proper bonded soft point and good well constructed solid?
Imagine their market position now had they done that?
with their background and behind the scenes knowledge there is no doubt they could have improved on a marginal product fairly easily.

This is my point that I made poorly.

When I first started looking for a DG bullet Hornady was one of first I looked at on name recognition alone. Now though, I wonder if their other products are as good as I thought as the DGX/S simply isn't. What else are they trying to hide goes through my head.

My major issue is that Hornady tries to sell the DGX as something it simply isn't, a premium bullet. A Remington Cor-Lokt isn't nearly the bullet that. TTSX is, but Remington doesn't try and pretend it is. Remington knows their place in the market, and they stay there. Hornady though....

I like the SST and Interbonds for their price. I have taken a elk with the SST and it preformed as promised. I think their small caliber bullets for predators keep them in business BUT I THINK THEY NEED TO REDEFINE THEIR BIG GAME BULLETS. I honestly think they can do better than both the DGX and DGS..........

I would tend to think it's their handgun ammo that keeps them in business. They have a better rep there it seems. Wonder what the break down on their sales is. I could see it heavily tipped towards 9mm, .45, etc..

I have had good luck with other Hornady products. Love there Superformance, and I think that is where the disappoint is. They have done a great job in other areas and just seem to drop the ball here with the DGX and that they don't care/or refuse to address it, is the concern.

When I bought my 416 Rigby I bought 4 boxes of Hornady ammo for it. 2 of DGS and 2 of DGX. Cost was AUD 120 a box, very cheap for factory ammo here. After using some at the range I thought it might be OK. I then tried some handloads. Well the 410 grain Woodleigh shoot a tighter group, were 150 fps faster and felt recoil was noticeably less then the Hornady DGX. The Woodleigh Solids felt tamer then the DGX. The 400grain DGX felt like the 450 grain Woodleigh's. The felt recoil of the Hornady's was sharper and plain nasty for me. Plus the DGX and DGS would not group at same POI as each other- this is not a condition the factory has any control over.

After hearing and seeing the results of both Hornady products on heavy game there was no way I was using them on DG. Their brass is good as are the primers the rest of the DGX and DGS needs changing IMHO.

As others have said, it is the bullet that does the work and to save $100 on a hunt that costs thousands and the animal can cripple or kill you does not make any sense to me.

I should add. Their 6.8SPC and 303Brit ammo works very well for me.

OK, here's the media test I did on the DGX as mentioned in earlier post. No, it was not a milk toast soft gelatin test!! It was near 100% water saturated phone book media to simulate muscle/soft tissue and a 4 1/2" hardwood block to simulate heavy bone on large animal. The media stack consisted of: about 1" wet phone book at entry then 4 1/2" wood block set at angle then wet phone book bundles out to full length of 29" test media. Rifle was 450 Watts. Bullet was Hornady 458 480 gr DGX loaded for impact vel at 15 yards of approx 2200 fps.

Total penetration was 12 1/2". Largest pieces recovered were base jacket (sans core) at 9" penetration mark and portion of lead base portion of core at terminus of track- 12 1/2". Pieces of lead core started showing along track at about the 5 1/2" mark. Small pieces of lead core and shards of steel/copper jacket were found all along track from about the 6" mark until the terminus at 12 1/2". One piece of the lead bullet core was found about 2" off the track line at the 10" mark- all other pieces were found fairly near the track line. The hollow base jacket was found oriented approx. 90' crosswise from flight line (sideways). Note the "expansion" example illustrated on the box showing the small flat rivet expansion of the nose. 400 grs was total weight of all bullet material recovered (many very small pieces and flakes were not recovered.
Hornady 458 480 gr DGX.png
Hornady DGX box end.JPG

Hornady DGX Box.JPG
Hornady 458 480 gr DGX media test track .JPG

Hornady 458 480 gr base jacket recovered at 9" mark.png
Hornady 458 480 gr DGX core frag recovered at 12 1:2" mark- terminus.png

Hornady 458 480 gr DGX total of all test  frags recovered- approx 400 gr  from media.JPG

Here is my take on the Hornady DGX.

Bullet on the left is a .416 400 gr. Swift A-Frame recovered from the buff I shot last year. Buff was shot facing me almost head on. Bullet entered the chest and went thru the top of the heart. IMHO it could be used on advertising material for what a bullet should look like upon recovery

The middle and right bullets are what remains of two Hornady .416 400 gr. DGX fired into the buff I shot two weeks ago. The middle one was fired at about 60 yds. and hit the spine at junction of neck and body, it did break the spine and was found just under far side skin. The second was fired into the chest cavity from about 7 yds. as the buff lay on its side as a finisher.

I have not weighed any of the slugs, but I think the eye test is self explanatory. I will say the the Hornadys did put the buff down, but I think that I will use A-Frames for any future buff hunts.
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, that appears to be a fair assessment. That first Hornady looks like it is right on the verge of coming apart and shucking the core. The lead core is not bonded to the copper clad steel jacket in those bullets.

So after reading this I am hesitant about using my Hornady 375 DGS bullets on my safari this month. Any suggestions here. Hunt is a combo Buff/leopard.

My buffalo felt very ill after 1 DGS, and laid out flat after another. A death bellow followed the third. I applied a fourth for a coup de grace. All shots passed through. That was two years ago, maybe their construction is different now. I would not use them again, based on the info here.

I am checking out Woodleighs and A-frame.

So after reading this I am hesitant about using my Hornady 375 DGS bullets on my safari this month. Any suggestions here. Hunt is a combo Buff/leopard.

Clarify. Hornday 375 H&H 300 gr. DGX. Proud owner of 6 boxes. Anyone want a deal on some ammo. No warranty expressed or implied:)

Clarify. Hornday 375 H&H 300 gr. DGX. Proud owner of 6 boxes. Anyone want a deal on some ammo. No warranty expressed or implied:)

By my count that's 120 pieces of brass.......I'll give you the new price for 120 pieces of Hornady .375H&H brass........;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodrickRag

Latest profile posts

buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?