Hornady DGX Bonded

guys,

grafs and sons just let me know they have 375 ruger bonded ammunition available:

View the Full Product Information at Grafs.com
open

probably other calibers as well

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 3.05.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 3.05.32 PM.png
    951.3 KB · Views: 307
  • 3.pdf
    3.pdf
    136.4 KB · Views: 378
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 3.05.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 3.05.44 PM.png
    809.4 KB · Views: 314
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 3.05.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 3.05.48 PM.png
    759.5 KB · Views: 294
I just checked with the Canadian importers / distributors of the Hornady DGX (Higginsons) and the Woodleigh Weldcore. (TradeEx)
It turns out that I can buy the .410" 400 gr. Woodleighs that Trade Ex have in stock, for $10 less per box of 50 than the "special order & wait for" Hornady DGX. I am not going to bother trying the new bonded Hornady at that price difference, the Woodleigh are a well proven bullet.

I see it like Caustin, Hornadys worked well. Nobody has this price-performance ratio,
(ok, doesn't matter for a DG Safari anymore).
My buffalos were just dead after a few meters.
And that with the infamous DGX bullet(and another one with one solid DGS).
The restweight was each 82 %
But I admit, no bullet for DG is in the discussion like Hornady bullets.
I can't imagine that a man like Ivan Carter would promote garbage for a few bucks.
But maybe I'm also to trustful.
Too bad he never takes a position here.
I'll be destroying some different DG bullets in a vice and watching the effort involved.
Foxi
bullets.JPG

Last edited:
OK, I apologize in advance for the quality of this picture. The 4 bullets on the left are Hornady DGX from a cape buffalo in Mozambique. All were very well placed shots at under 50 yards with my .458 Lott. He was a very sick fellow and probably did not need the follow up shots but he was still on his feet so... Weight retention and expansion is horrific on these bullets. In fact, one failed completely (note the core is missing). The shots were good and the buff was dead, but that is terrible performance.

IMG_1898 copy.jpg

The far right is a single shot recovered from a massive buff in the greater Kruger area. Split his heart and shredded his lungs. This is a 500 grain trophy bonded bearclaw. It weighs 495 grains and is perfectly mushroomed.

My buffalo hunting is done with Swift A-Frames or Trophy Bonded Bearclaws. Perhaps the new DGX bonded will be a better bullet but they've lost me as a customer.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I apologize in advance for the quality of this picture. The 4 bullets on the left are Hornady DGX from a cape buffalo in Mozambique. All were very well placed shots at under 50 yards with my .458 Lott. He was a very sick fellow and probably did not need the follow up shots but he was still on his feet so... Weight retention and expansion is horrific on these bullets. In fact, one failed completely (note the core is missing). The shots were good and the buff was dead, but that is terrible performance.

The far rightView attachment 240333 is a single shot recovered from a massive buff in the greater Kruger area. Split his heart and shredded his lungs. This is a 500 grain trophy bonded bearclaw. It weighs 495 grains and is perfectly mushroomed.

My buffalo hunting is done with Swift A-Frames or Trophy Bonded Bearclaws. Perhaps the new DGX bonded will be a better bullet but they've lost me as a customer.

And with the A-Frames or Bearclaws, just how much more expensive would your hunt have been?

And with the A-Frames or Bearclaws, just how much more expensive would your hunt have been?

A lot!

Only one premium grade bullet would have done, not 4 pieces of scrap:D

Wait till you lose an animal due to crap bullets then it escalates quite fast.

Nothing new. I thought it was "common knowledge" about Hornady's so called DG series!

It is beyond me why people keep trying to make conventional Hornady hunting bullets bullets work for big game. The complaints about Hornady hunting bullets date all the way back to the 1970s!!! and have continued to the present with the pre-bonded DGX/DGS series. Hornady had chosen to ignore the complaints for 45 years until finally announcing a re-design of the DG with the bonded version. I learned about Hornady "hunting" bullets (interlock my butt!) by bad, first hand experience back in the early 1970s.... ugh.

Why?? when there are so many truly premium and tried/true bullets out there. I'm not even interested in Hornady's latest bonded iteration. No need. Long ago I found good bullets of various designs for hunting big game and the market choices continue to grow. While I hope the bonded Hornadys work OK, I'm a little disappointed in learning about them because it will likely raise the price of my practice ammo for shooting paper!

Last edited:
Nothing new. I thought it was "common knowledge" about Hornady's so called DG series!

It is beyond me why people keep trying to make conventional Hornady hunting bullets bullets work for big game. The complaints about Hornady hunting bullets date all the way back to the 1970s!!! and have continued to the present with the pre-bonded DGX/DGS series. Hornady had chosen to ignore the complaints for 45 years until finally announcing a re-design of the DG with the bonded version. I learned about Hornady "hunting" bullets (interlock my butt!) by bad, first hand experience back in the early 1970s.... ugh.

Why?? when there are so many truly premium and tried/true bullets out there. I'm not even interested in Hornady's latest bonded iteration. No need. Long ago I found good bullets of various designs for hunting big game and the market choices continue to grow. While I hope the bonded Hornadys work OK, I'm a little disappointed in learning about them because it will likely raise the price of my practice ammo for shooting paper!
Well it was new to me. I had never used Hornady, loading only swift and speer bullets on my big game rifles and sierras on my varmint guns. When I stepped up from the .375 to the .458 Lott I decided to go with factory ammo, not really wanting to get into crimping my loads. I used 500 gr Hornady DGX and DGS on my first buffalo shot with the Lott, with the results shown above. I could best characterize it as brute force overcoming poor bullets. I then changed to the Federal loads with 500 gr bearclaw and woodleigh hydro solids. The perofmance of these loads is dramatic. Sorry it its old news but to me it was a big deal to me.

So, still no reports on the DGX Bonded bullets?

So, still no reports on the DGX Bonded bullets?
I might use one on muntjac this summer but i dont think i will be able to recover it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

View attachment 233039 View attachment 233236 View attachment 233237 Dead ELEPHANT, recovered Hornady DGS ( not mushroomed), passed through elephant skull from right side to just under skin on left side of head....bottom picture. That exit hole is bigger than an old silver dollar.
So at what speed should one expect that this bullet would fail to perform?
Dead Right There, Grave Yard dead, Buzzard Meat, The Fat Lady Sang......the bullet did as advertised.
I’m happy with them.
Any meplat solid brass would have exited.....side brain shots on elephant require a lot less penetration than full frontal brain shots....especially when the chips are down.....

One kill shot is just that....

Any meplat solid brass would have exited.....side brain shots on elephant require a lot less penetration than full frontal brain shots....especially when the chips are down.....

One kill shot is just that....

it was darn close to exiting! Anyway the DGS seems to function just fine for most hunters. On the other hand way too many have experienced issues with the DGX bullet. I have not experienced the problems others have with that bullet when used in my 416 Ruger. Like @Foxi stated back in 2018 his recovered bullets killed the intended animal and so did mine!

it was darn close to exiting! Anyway the DGS seems to function just fine for most hunters. On the other hand way too many have experienced issues with the DGX bullet. I have not experienced the problems others have with that bullet when used in my 416 Ruger. Like @Foxi stated back in 2018 his recovered bullets killed the intended animal and so did mine!

@CAustin both the solids and new improved DGX regulate perfectly in my Sabatti. I know there are the sabatti naysayers as well as Hornady. However, I fully believe company's can ad do turn things around. My 2019 manufacturer EDL has been flawless so far and reports of the improved DGX look quite favorable.
Some love, some loathe, just the way of things.

Never realised how tough stretch Armstrong was.

:A Banana::E Big Grin:....uses dgx at end

Shows you the penetration of a good solid for sure. Wonder how many it would have gone through ?

No bone, but at least the dgx held together.

2E972C03-2B6C-4014-94A0-D027D8ACBFC5.jpeg

F1DA7BAF-847F-4995-8EBC-4C3FCB262D3D.jpeg

25073461-7653-4BCF-9EF5-30227C7F8729.jpeg
EDCFCC5F-76F5-414F-A1F5-13FFCCD80672.jpeg

I have been using Hornady DGS 500 grain flat nosed copper clad steel jacketed solid factory loads exclusively since 2009 , for my .458 Winchester Magnum . I test fired half a box over a chronograph and the velocity averaged at about 2136 feet per second . This is more than adequate for rogue Asiatic jungle elephant bulls ( even for frontal brain shots ) and Gaur ( which happen to be the world’s largest and heaviest bovines ; roughly double the weight of an African Cape buffalo ) . I have stopped charging Gaur bulls ( weighing in excess of 1380 kilograms ) with this combination ( employing frontal heart shots ) and in most cases , the bullet looked as if it could be fired again ( as illustrated in the last photograph ) .

I have done my share of research as to the problems associated with Hornady bullets ( with documentation to support my findings ; should anyone find it interesting ) .

Until 1965 , Hornady used to offer round nosed full metal jacket solid bullets in three calibres ( a 500 grain .458 calibre bullet , a 300 grain .375 calibre bullet and a 220 grain .308 calibre bullet ) . These were round nosed and had impressively thick steel jackets . By all accounts ( including those of @Major Khan Sir and game ranger , Terry Irwin ) , these bullets were renowned for their penetration and weight retention ; even when used on the largest of African elephant bulls .

From 1965 to 1980 , Hornady replaced the steel jacket with a cupronickel jacket ( in order to reduce manufacturing costs ) and this was what had lead to the deterioration in quality and performance ( as personally experienced by myself and professional hunter , John Coleman ) . During this time , the 250 grain .338 calibre bullet was added to the Hornady lineup .

From 1980 to 1990 , Hornady brought back the steel jacket and added the 410 grain .416 calibre bullet to the lineup . These bullets were renowned for their performance and penetration ( as documented by Mike LaGrange in “ Ballistics In Perspective “ ) .

From 1990 to 2004 , Hornady ( once again ) replaced the steel jacket with a copper jacket ( in order to reduce manufacturing costs ) . As predicted , this led to a deterioration in performance and penetration .

From 2006 onwards , Hornady introduced the DGS ( Dangerous Game Solid ) And DGX ( Dangerous Game eXpanding ) line . The steel jacket had now returned and the nose profile was altered from round to meplat . The performance of the DGS bullet has been consistently adequate ( ever since then ) ; provided that velocities are kept within reasonable limits . However , the DGX bullet proved itself to be quite unreliable for dangerous game .

In 2018 , Hornady decided to chemically bond the lead cores of their DGX bullets to their steel jackets . This greatly improved performance and I have recently used a Hornady 500 grain DGX factory load to take out a marauding Royal Bengal tiger ( by employing a behind-the-shoulder heart shot ) .

Last edited:
Anyone have more recent experience with the bonded DGX? Seems like these days it’s about the only bullet reliably available in the big calibers. Everything else is hit or miss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elandremf

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?