Daniel Cary

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Throwing clays with these out of a Coach gun is .. ridiculous

However, these have some Snot! for a 3"

1726150577849.png

1726150602081.png

I had to save some .. @BeeMaa, etc. has anyone heard or used these?
thank you.

I have used the Regular Black Cloud not the high velocity ones for Ducks/Geese. Trying them to offset the ridiculous price of Hevi Shot.
I was shocked @ the cost, in comparison to what was here (not familiar with too much) .. but what raucous

Thank you!

Man, I grow weary of the cost of AA for clays. That is ridiculous. :-). Shoot ‘em if you have ‘em (and don’t hunt waterfowl). Otherwise, get some low brass and have at it. Not like you are in a competitive shoot with a coach gun.

I use the Federal Black Cloud TSS BB/7 for geese and 3/9 for ducks. This is a center of smaller TSS pellets surrounded by larger Flight Stopper Steel. What you end up with is a center pattern of tight TSS pellets with a ring of larger steel ones like this...
1726161638065.png

I have found the Federal BC shown below to absolutely suck on the pattern board at distances greater than 25 yards. To the point that I used the pattern sheets to start a campfire that evening on the farm. I have a few boxes of this that I keep around for dispatching wounded birds because it's less expensive than the TSS BB/7.

1726161684610.png

The stuff you are talking about using is moving at nearly 200 fps faster than what I have. In my experience, speed of the payload has diminishing returns. There comes a point where the pattern gets blown out and you run a great risk of wounding birds and not recovering them.

There is a big difference between being able to hit a clay and make a lethal shot on a goose. These animals are HARD to kill. You can hit them at 60 yards, but the pellets need to have the energy to penetrate to the point of being lethal. Even at that speed it would be very difficult.

I passed on several shots that were at or over 50 yards for this very reason. Our first day we took 17 birds and had only three that needed finishing by using the BC TSS load.
1726162316762.png

If you can, set up a pattern board and give it a try I would be interested in the results. Keep in mind that what works in one shotgun doesn't mean it will work in another. I've always recommended testing your shotgun/load/choke combination before hitting the field.

With steel #4 shot moving at that speed, I would think it would be more of a duck load than goose. Most goose loads are at least #2 shot, but normally B, BB or BBB.

BTW - For shooting clays, I use whatever is cheap. Usually a Federal target load that's around 1 1/4 oz at 1150 or 1200 fps in 7.5, 8 or 9 shot. Nothing special. The difference in speed is very minimal when it comes to changing your lead. I would NEVER use this Federal BC HV load on a clays range, especially in such a light shotgun.

I use the Federal Black Cloud TSS BB/7 for geese and 3/9 for ducks. This is a center of smaller TSS pellets surrounded by larger Flight Stopper Steel. What you end up with is a center pattern of tight TSS pellets with a ring of larger steel ones like this...
View attachment 633433

I have found the Federal BC shown below to absolutely suck on the pattern board at distances greater than 25 yards. To the point that I used the pattern sheets to start a campfire that evening on the farm. I have a few boxes of this that I keep around for dispatching wounded birds because it's less expensive than the TSS BB/7.

View attachment 633434

The stuff you are talking about using is moving at nearly 200 fps faster than what I have. In my experience, speed of the payload has diminishing returns. There comes a point where the pattern gets blown out and you run a great risk of wounding birds and not recovering them.

There is a big difference between being able to hit a clay and make a lethal shot on a goose. These animals are HARD to kill. You can hit them at 60 yards, but the pellets need to have the energy to penetrate to the point of being lethal. Even at that speed it would be very difficult.

I passed on several shots that were at or over 50 yards for this very reason. Our first day we took 17 birds and had only three that needed finishing by using the BC TSS load.
View attachment 633435

If you can, set up a pattern board and give it a try I would be interested in the results. Keep in mind that what works in one shotgun doesn't mean it will work in another. I've always recommended testing your shotgun/load/choke combination before hitting the field.

With steel #4 shot moving at that speed, I would think it would be more of a duck load than goose. Most goose loads are at least #2 shot, but normally B, BB or BBB.

BTW - For shooting clays, I use whatever is cheap. Usually a Federal target load that's around 1 1/4 oz at 1150 or 1200 fps in 7.5, 8 or 9 shot. Nothing special. The difference in speed is very minimal when it comes to changing your lead. I would NEVER use this Federal BC HV load on a clays range, especially in such a light shotgun.
Excellent read,
.. certainly not synonymous with a Stoeger, or hand throwing clays. They simply came along for a morning practice, loosen up a bit. However, I've never felt a 3" that profound. to be cont. if waterfowl comes back to consideration. beautiful collection .. my extended thanks, as always.

1450 fps steel goose loads is money thrown out the window. Black Cloud? Just a gimmick. I shoot geese just fine with Walmart's Winchester no gimmick BB 1 1/8 oz @ 1550 fps. Usually get a couple of triples every year. Often batting a thousand on a limit of five honkers. But I'm not stupid enough to be shooting at them sixty yards out. Not necessary.

1635 fps in 3" twelve gauge might give some performance value for waterfowl but the recoil in a fixed breech shotgun would be harsh. Auto only! And the heavier the gun the better. For the life of me I do not know why the manufacturers have all gone to lightweight waterfowl shotguns. Waterfowl hunters generally aren't carrying their guns anywhere. I can see it for turkey hunting ... maybe. I guess it's just trying to make one design fit all purposes. Cheaper manufacturing.

Just go with 3.5" if you think that kind of speed is what's needed. Can't imagine there would be much difference in the price of shells = absurdly expensive. 3.5" gun might be a bit heavier which would help mitigate the punishment a bit. But then no one could give me a 3.5" shotgun. Absolutely unnecessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
300win

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.