Holland & Holland bolt 375H&H - 16K

I thought someone may want this. Its at Cabelas in Fort Worth TX:

It’s almost certainly a take down, although the pictures and description don’t make that clear. The scope almost looks older than the rifle. Those H&H mounts are dear, and generally serialized to the rifle. The cocking piece peep site is a nice feature. I don’t really know where the market is for these rifles right now - not clear to me whether this is a “good deal”.

Looks like a classic Holland take apart (barreled receiver comes out of the stock) to me. The matching TD case is a nice touch. The scope may not be super useful as it may not be an actual 1” tube making the scope mounts less valuable. I had one like this and the scope was a little larger than 1” so required a bit of shimming to work with a modern 1” scope. Still workable though for a more modern scope if you wanted to use this rifle. The peep sight is not a Holland sight so it is pretty cool but not as much so as if it were an OG Holland peep.

I would say the actual sales market value is $12,500-$16,000. There have been a lot of post war H&H 375s for sale for a while now. This one has a bit of advantage over most because of the TD case and scope mounts though IMO.

This gun has been in their gun Library for some time and based on several conversations with them they’re not willing to move much on price.

Having seen the gun in person I placed the value closer to @vette447 lower number

Looks like a classic Holland take apart (barreled receiver comes out of the stock) to me. The matching TD case is a nice touch. The scope may not be super useful as it may not be an actual 1” tube making the scope mounts less valuable. I had one like this and the scope was a little larger than 1” so required a bit of shimming to work with a modern 1” scope. Still workable though for a more modern scope if you wanted to use this rifle. The peep sight is not a Holland sight so it is pretty cool but not as much so as if it were an OG Holland peep.

I would say the actual sales market value is $12,500-$16,000. There have been a lot of post war H&H 375s for sale for a while now. This one has a bit of advantage over most because of the TD case and scope mounts though IMO.
Some of these came with a Nickel Marburg scope, that had a 26mm instead of 1” tube, making the mounts just slightly too large for the more plentiful 1” scopes.

Some of these came with a Nickel Marburg scope, that had a 26mm instead of 1” tube, making the mounts just slightly too large for the more plentiful 1” scopes.

Yes. This is correct and what I have seen a well. You can make a 1” scope work by shimming but it is not ideal.

I'm not in the market but curious if anybody can tell whether it's on a standard or magnum length action? I have a hard time telling w/o seeing one in person and using my tape measure.

I believe it is a standard length. A magnum action would be quite rare in a 375 of that vintage. Really, they are pretty rare on a 375 Holland & Holland rifle of any vintage.

Vette447 is correct. If you look carefully at the action ring, there is a rounded notch allowing an unfired round to be unloaded. I’ve never seen that cut out on a magnum length action. I suspect the bottom metal is aluminum, which was common with this vintage.

Hi,

One of the nicest 375 H&H I have seen. To me a perfect configuration rifle for the cartridge. Made with a standard lenght M98 action. H&H made the needed action lenghtening in one of the best ways! And with a 4 round magazin. The scope seems to be a Zeiss Zielklein 2,5x. A very good light scope from the late 30´s, with 22 mm tube. Of course is more a colletors item today.
For sure is a take down model looking at the front screw. I think it has a steel magazine and floorplate because is a take down.
Like this rifle very much, a truly fine hunting rifle without any superfluous thing at a reasonable price for a H&H 375!

That looks like an early 50,s 375 on a standard action, a big plus is the Holland mounts too.Its a pity the bolts open as you cant see the action rear where the take down notch is. Holland and Holland could date it for you,i wouldnt ditch the scope as it could be original to the rifle. I have a 375 made in 1924, the stock shape is similar but slightly leaner, built
on a standard oberndorf action with a single notch in the receiver ,as compared to the 50,s double notch cut outs. I also had a magnum action version from 1913 which had a different stock shape and barrel sling attachment,The 50,s style rifles would also have an alloy floor plate. If your thinking of buying it id get Hollands to check there order book. heres a quick pic to show the action length difference from a Mauser type A Magnum(non square bridge) and a pre war Holland 375..sorry for the bad phone pic!

Attachments

• 20240804_125258.jpg
    20240804_125258.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
Hi,

One of the nicest 375 H&H I have seen. To me a perfect configuration rifle for the cartridge. Made with a standard lenght M98 action. H&H made the needed action lenghtening in one of the best ways! And with a 4 round magazin. The scope seems to be a Zeiss Zielklein 2,5x. A very good light scope from the late 30´s, with 22 mm tube. Of course is more a colletors item today.
For sure is a take down model looking at the front screw. I think it has a steel magazine and floorplate because is a take down.
Like this rifle very much, a truly fine hunting rifle without any superfluous thing at a reasonable price for a H&H 375!
I’ve got one from the 20s and one from the early 60s. I think this one has aluminum bottom metal and is from the 50s, or thereabouts, as Markinnz says. I would not be suprised if the scope and mounts are not original to the rifle -ie the serial number on the bottom of the trigger guard and the serial number on the rear scope mount do not match. That would be easy enough for someone in Fort Worth, or Cabelas to answer though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Queen

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available