Hierarchy Of Double Rifles - Where does the Verney-Carron Fit In?

What ammo did it like?
Handloads
Load for the Chapuis 470 I owned
Norma brass, Federal primers, Woodleigh 500 grain RNSN, 96 grains of AR2209 and a open cell foam filler. This load gave me a duplicate reading from both barrels of 2174fps and 0.7" at 50 metres

Load for the Merkel I had
Bertram brass, Federal primers, Woodleigh 500 grain RNSN, 95.5 grains of RL17 and a open cell foam filler. This load was right on 2150fps and provided the same accuracy as the above, 0.7" at 50 metres.

Hoping my new Verney likes the load I used in the Chapuis as I still have about 50 rounds loaded sitting in the ammo box.

Where would the likes of Rigby / Westley Richards / Purdey / etc sit in this Hierarchy?

They'd sit atop the list of vintage options, but judged one gun at a time. The metallurgy in a well serviced one is completely suitable for period-correct, wholly satisfactory original loads at 2075FPS out of a 24" barrel. They are not suited for being crammed full of 100+ grains of 4831, some monometal solid invented in the 21st century, etc.

If you intend to do vile, horrible things to a gun with odd powders and high tech bullets, the Heym sits on top of the durability pyramid. If you're going to follow traditional loading standards a vintage British double is far superior to the other options. This is based on original quality, fit and finish, balance, stock geometry, and how well they point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShantaeNeu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia
TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!