Hierarchy Of Double Rifles - Where does the Verney-Carron Fit In?

While the Heym is great, the Intelligent ejectors of the Krieghoff is what wins for me.

As I've said elsewhere, the way to make the double "affordable" is to get barrel sets both up and down caliber as well as 20G. 06/375/500 416/20G goes anywhere. Most will give you a varmint round as well.

While the Heym is great, the Intelligent ejectors of the Krieghoff is what wins for me.

As I've said elsewhere, the way to make the double "affordable" is to get barrel sets both up and down caliber as well as 20G. 06/375/500 416/20G goes anywhere. Most will give you a varmint round as well.
I forgot about the ejectors being selectable with the de-cocker. Good catch.

Last edited:
I forgot to add I also have a Vc in .450/.400 I purchased used. The fit and finish is very nice. It shoots well. It would make a great working man’s double. It’s a lot of gun for the money.

It’s also for sale…

My first double was a LH Krieghoff 500 NE. Great rifle, accurate, regulated just about anything you would put in it. I really liked the decocking lever and never found it slow or cumbersome. I'd have no problem owning another one.

After the Krieghoff I went the custom route and had a Heym 88B 500 NE built. I never got along with that rifle. For whatever reason it slammed my finger on every shot and I was always hunting for the front sight. It was a beautiful rifle but .... just not for me.

I next ordered a VC Azure Safari and that is what I currently own. It was one of the last rifles that Jerome had a hand in building. A true Left Hand double. For me it has been an amazing rifle and goes with me on every trip. Fit and finish are impeccable and it regulates many loads well.

I am not a fanboy of any company. These 3 doubles were all solid performers and great guns. They are at the top of my list because I have experience with them. Now if I can get Chris Sells to call me, I'm going to order a 89B in 577 NE, left hand of course.

While the Heym is tops of the list as has already been mentioned the customer service has been lacking. Communications from Chris Sells has been terribly lacking and unfortunately has to be considered when making a purchase. Hoping he gets himself back to the level he once had.

HH

Best value for the money would be Chapuis. Look at the Champlinarms.com website and see what they say about Chapuis. I've posted many times on here about how much I like mine.
I haven't shot the other rifles, but I've looked at Heym and VC a couple of times. Heym is a very solid, well made double and deserves its ranking by the posters on here. However they are hard to get due to their popularity. Also higher price.
The VC is elegant, especially the round body model. Beautiful double. Can't speak to its performance or durability.
I find the Kreighoff to be a bit heavy and chunky in design--not as sleek as the others--and I don't like the safety/cocker mechanism.
Just my two cents worth.

In the same dilemma, in same position, I decided I cannot justify for myself a DR, which will cost me one safari, and for only one or two DG animals, that I could envision to hunt in the future.
So, I stick to bolts action 375 HH.

If I would be living in Africa, where a more often DG hunt could be more frequent and realistic option, probably DG double rifle would be more realistic idea.

Basic question is how many of thick skinned do you plan to hunt in the future?

All that being said, and If I would be looking for a double, on a budget, I would be looking for a Sabbati 2nd hand, under condition that I test it on the range, and verify barrel regulation. The point is to test before buying.
Dont risk on Sabatti but a,second hand Chapuis

Hello to all the learned and experienced. I pose a question to you, hoping to gain some insight into where a Verney-Carron Azur double rifle would fit into place on a list of desirable doubles.
I think I would like to leave out any reference to any type of vintage, bespoke, English or Continental rifle, as I am more focused on what is being produced today, or at least in the last 25 years or so.
Let's assume the calibre is the same for all (.450/.400 NE) and condition of each rifle is comparable - nearly new, to used, but well taken care of. I'm thinking about quality, fit and finish, balance, recoil mitigation, resale value, etc. How does the V.C. Azur compare to the:

Merkel 140
Kreighoff Classic Big Five
Sabatti Classic Double
Heym 88B or 89B
Chapuis X4 or Iphisi

I suppose the question boils down to whether or not a blue collar guy on a budget should even be looking at this double rifle, or should he be satisfied with his bolt gun? I don't believe in buying an inferior product, just because the price is good, I'd rather save longer and be happy.

Best value for the money would be Chapuis. Look at the Champlinarms.com website and see what they say about Chapuis. I've posted many times on here about how much I like mine.
I haven't shot the other rifles, but I've looked at Heym and VC a couple of times. Heym is a very solid, well made double and deserves its ranking by the posters on here. However they are hard to get due to their popularity. Also higher price.
The VC is elegant, especially the round body model. Beautiful double. Can't speak to its performance or durability.
I find the Kreighoff to be a bit heavy and chunky in design--not as sleek as the others--and I don't like the safety/cocker mechanism.
Just my two cents worth.
I agree with you. Also if you buy from them you have a lifetime guarantee and while no longer partners JJ still does all George’s smith work so you know you are in good hands

I prefer the aesthetics of the VC round body to the others mentioned here, especially as I have never been one for the Greener crossbolt on the Heym.

While Heym seems to be well worth the price that they are currently charging, I would also be taking a serious look at the new Rigby Shikari.

I looked at the Shikari 500ne at the HSC last year. It had a ~50K price tag almost double the price tag for a Heym. After all its a Rigby

Hmmm, guess I am on the cheap side. I only owned what I could afford.
Merkel 140 416Rigby
Sabatti 450-400

You have a very nice rifle with your Merkel!!! Don’t let anyone tell you differently! I have owned one and its accuracy was second to none!!!

Hi Rookhawk, thank you for weighing in on this. I presently own a BRNO 602 that started out as a .375 H&H, but was converted to a .404 Jeffery. It works very well, not pretty, but neither am I , so we make a good team together.
The reason for my interest in the V.C. in .450/.400 NE is that there will be one coming up for auction locally to me. I live in Canada, and to be able to source a double rifle of any maker or brand ranges anywhere from difficult to impossible. I follow the threads here on AHF with much interest, so wanted to get some opinions. To be honest, and this is purely academic to me at this point, I would really like to own a Heym 89B. I liked the sounds of the .450/.400 as it duplicated the performance of my .404 Jeffery with moderate recoil as well.
Unless you're gonna hunt a lot of DG with it, that 404J is gonna be the cat's meow for everything you might want to hunt.

At 56 yo now, I figure I have a half dozen buff hunts in front of me before I get too old to do it. Buying a double would reduce that number by 1 for certain, and probably 2. I'd rather hunt black death a half dozen times in the next 14 or 15 years with my 404J than 4 or 5 times if I decided to spend the money on a double.

Unless you're gonna hunt a lot of DG with it, that 404J is gonna be the cat's meow for everything you might want to hunt.

At 56 yo now, I figure I have a half dozen buff hunts in front of me before I get too old to do it. Buying a double would reduce that number by 1 for certain, and probably 2. I'd rather hunt black death a half dozen times in the next 14 or 15 years with my 404J than 4 or 5 times if I decided to spend the money on a double.
That was my original thought as well, and I was happy with it. However, when I saw this V.C. come up, it got me thinking that there may be options to broaden my knowledge, and perhaps get into the world of doubles. They seem fun, and let's be honest, they fulfill that portion of the African safari mystique/fantasy that we all subscribe to.
I think the Forum has provided some helpful information to me. Auctions are tricky, no guarantees, so I'll see where it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex90

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia
TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!