Heym 88B 500NE

Spent a little time with JJ Perodeau Wednesday while he cut my Merkel for a red dot. He advised to shoot both barrels within 15 seconds. Shooting right barrel then looking at target thru spotting scope gives that barrel time to grow from the heat and effects left barrel POI. Made sense to me. He recommended two targets. One for each barrel side by side to help with identifying which hole was which.
I know very little but it made good sense to me.

Not that most care & I'm sure the 89 is incredible.

But the 88 is just .. beefy, menacing looking.

88 vs 89.jpg

Spent a little time with JJ Perodeau Wednesday while he cut my Merkel for a red dot. He advised to shoot both barrels within 15 seconds. Shooting right barrel then looking at target thru spotting scope gives that barrel time to grow from the heat and effects left barrel POI. Made sense to me. He recommended two targets. One for each barrel side by side to help with identifying which hole was which.
No need for two targets. I shoot my right barrel and label R1 then left barrel L1. this helped me see my shots were crossing so I backed down my loads until I got non crossing and 0.6 regulation. It just takes patience

Rare Breed, one of us is missing the others point. While I defer to your experience, my post was in regards to JJ stating that when regulating a double rifle you should try to fire both barrels in 15 seconds or less. Two targets allows you to do that and still identify which barrel and projectile made the hole.
Your way, labeling each hole, R1 for right barrel for example, requires going to the target and physically labeling it after each shot. Even in my younger days and a 25 yard target, it’s doubtful I could fire, run to the target, label hole, run back to my rifle, get behind it, aim and fire again in less than 15 seconds. Unless I’m missing your point, I’ll stand behind my previous post.
Respectfully Jody

What I’ve been doing with my .470 is to set my phone on the ground 3-4’ in front of target aimed up at target with video running to record shots hitting target so I can tell right barrel impact from left. After reviewing I just edit clip and keep the 15-20 sec with the impacts. So far no insurance claims on the phone….

I wonder where that rifle will be 100 yrs from.

Lon

What I’ve been doing with my .470 is to set my phone on the ground 3-4’ in front of target aimed up at target with video running to record shots hitting target so I can tell right barrel impact from left. After reviewing I just edit clip and keep the 15-20 sec with the impacts. So far no insurance claims on the phone….
I did the same thing when I had my double. Very handy

If they are allowed to own them. They will have to be held by separate entity. They won’t be allowed to be stored in your home.

But I’m afraid in 100 years the subjects will have their weapons melted down.

Just as after the Civil War. They may allow them to own a sword or possibly archery equipment

The “Witchery of Archery” written by Maurice Thomson was about how the rebels were allowed archery equipment to hunt after the civil war. A good read.
I spend a great deal of time in Europe. It is worth filtering into our conversations with Europeans when discussing US political issues that their information sources are far from balanced. The only "American" news program most Europeans will ever see is CNN International. Obviously, it staunchly reports the progressive view from this country. They can also get the BBC and occasionally Sky News depending on the city and country. The latter is somewhat more balanced when reporting on the US while the BBC tends to mirror the US domestic political leanings of CNN and MSNBC.

Domestic news agencies within Europe are reliably progressive by American standards. For those who can not read "Bild" or "Le Monde," I would urge you to spend a few hours pouring through a few days coverage of US politics by "The Daily Telegraph" or the more erudite "Guardian." All studiously ignore, even disparage, half the US population.

I wonder where that rifle will be 100 yrs from.

Lon

Rare Breed, one of us is missing the others point. While I defer to your experience, my post was in regards to JJ stating that when regulating a double rifle you should try to fire both barrels in 15 seconds or less. Two targets allows you to do that and still identify which barrel and projectile made the hole.
Your way, labeling each hole, R1 for right barrel for example, requires going to the target and physically labeling it after each shot. Even in my younger days and a 25 yard target, it’s doubtful I could fire, run to the target, label hole, run back to my rifle, get behind it, aim and fire again in less than 15 seconds. Unless I’m missing your point, I’ll stand behind my previous post.
Respectfully Jody
Thanks for the clarification! Your point is the key is firing both barrels within 15 seconds which you are correct, no way to do things my way with labeling.

If they are allowed to own them. They will have to be held by separate entity. They won’t be allowed to be stored in your home.

But I’m afraid in 100 years the subjects will have their weapons melted down.

Just as after the Civil War. They may allow them to own a sword or possibly archery equipment

The “Witchery of Archery” written by Maurice Thomson was about how the rebels were allowed archery equipment to hunt after the civil war. A good read.
I attest.

Thanks everyone! I have not weighed it or shot it yet. Unfortunately live in CA and it has to stay in jail for 10 days till I can pick it up. I leave in 2 days for a lioness hunt with Lin. It should be ready for pick up when I get back. I have already started reloading and will report back! Anyone have a idea what type of base I need to add a red dot ?
The Heym base sits to high
Henneburger (I may I have miss spelt) make the lowest.

Finally got her home! Exact make in the exact caliber. I want to share some pictures of my new Heym. Much thanks to AES and everyone who helped with this rifle and reloading components. I will be able to take this rifle for my first ele hunt with York. Time to bust out the sticks and start practicing. More then likely I will not be adding a red dot but if I decide to any idea what type of base and where I can order one, I already have a RMR.

View attachment 619157

View attachment 619158
View attachment 619160
Gorgeous!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bayshooter

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!