Heym 88B 500NE

Congratulations on your new double rifle! Looking forward to seeing it propped up against an elephant :)

Thanks everyone! I have not weighed it or shot it yet. Unfortunately live in CA and it has to stay in jail for 10 days till I can pick it up. I leave in 2 days for a lioness hunt with Lin. It should be ready for pick up when I get back. I have already started reloading and will report back! Anyone have a idea what type of base I need to add a red dot ?

Dang, what a gorgeous rifle, too bad about it being in jail. Have you contacted Heym to see what they recommend for a mount?

Awesome rifle! I’m a sucker for real case hardening, and yours is a fine example. As for the base, you and I are in the same boat…I’ve been thinking about adding a red dot to my 89b. Chris (Heym USA) used to list the bases on his website, but I looked recently and they have been removed. I might try and contact Heym directly to at least see if they can help me out. That being said, the cut in the rib for the mount on Heym doubles appears to be a standard dovetail shape, so maybe other mounts will work…not sure.

Finally got her home! Exact make in the exact caliber. I want to share some pictures of my new Heym. Much thanks to AES and everyone who helped with this rifle and reloading components. I will be able to take this rifle for my first ele hunt with York. Time to bust out the sticks and start practicing. More then likely I will not be adding a red dot but if I decide to any idea what type of base and where I can order one, I already have a RMR.

View attachment 619157

View attachment 619158
View attachment 619160
Thank you for sharing .. I've wanted to see this for quite some time.

Many congrats!

Finally got her home! Exact make in the exact caliber. I want to share some pictures of my new Heym. Much thanks to AES and everyone who helped with this rifle and reloading components. I will be able to take this rifle for my first ele hunt with York. Time to bust out the sticks and start practicing. More then likely I will not be adding a red dot but if I decide to any idea what type of base and where I can order one, I already have a RMR.

View attachment 619157

View attachment 619158
View attachment 619160
Well done on your double @Skshyk it is beautiful. I have a Heym 89b in 450/400 and started off trying to shoot it with just open sights, but soon realized that a red dot was necessary to get acceptable accuracy with my eyes.
I started the quest for a base for a Kahles sight I had, imported a dovetail base from Holland and it ended up way too high. It was terrible, could 't hit a thing, no cheek weld and the feeling of being at one with the rifle was completely gone. I realized that the only acceptatable solution was to get a red dot with as low as possible a sight plane, and to mou t it way down. The sight turned out to be a Trijicon RMR (1 MOA). That done I looked at many mount designs including the one Chris was offering and they would all put the sight too high for the 'hunker down' feeling I wanted. I finally stumbled upon a Henneburger shotgun type sight mount that would put the base of the RMR just 1mm above the rib. It required machining out the groove in the base of the Henneburger to saddle the Heym rib and then drilling and tapping two holes in the rib to secure the base firmly. The result is perfect, I feel at one with the rifle and it is more of an instinctive point than an aiming exercise.
IMG_9894.jpeg
IMG_9893.jpeg

I like the rifle, hate the elephant lever…. Just too much!!
Good job we aren’t all the same!! I do like working rifles more than bling though

Well first range trip range went well! The gun handles perfect. Balance was perfect, I may need a bit longer LOP but we will see.
Loaded some Barnes solids with RL 15. Grouped well for the first trip have not shot a double let alone iron sights for some time now. Maybe a little more practice and some tweaking should get better groups. Loaded some close to max per Barnes data and they were flying all over the place, 90’s seemed to be the sweet spot.
For now I don’t think I will be getting a red dot and keep it as is.
IMG_2180.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2182.jpeg
    IMG_2182.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
Thanks @Tanks will keep that in mind. While shooting today I did think about a fiber optic from sight. Not sure if that’s a good idea or not. Few more range trips with different light conditions will have a better idea.

Nice group, what range was that? Shooting off sticks or standing rest? I’m getting some good groups/regulation in my 89b with R15, N140, and N550. Are you planning on trying any softs?

50 yards off sticks. As of lot sticking with solids as I have elephant hunt coming up. Eventually will load some Barnes.

Sounds good…your second group appears to have one flyer up and to the left…I had the same thing with mine. I got that flyer to tighten up by shooting the 4 shots quicker, which I understand allows less time for the heat to affect the impacts.

Great looking rifle.

View attachment 619157

View attachment 619158
View attachment 619160
wow!!! outstanding wood and case hardened colors!!!

Sounds good…your second group appears to have one flyer up and to the left…I had the same thing with mine. I got that flyer to tighten up by shooting the 4 shots quicker, which I understand allows less time for the heat to affect the impacts.

Heat? Would heat really make that big of impact, I feel like that was just me anticipating the shoot.

Heat? Would heat really make that big of impact, I feel like that was just me anticipating the shoot.

I’m just going by what I’ve heard, so it might not make a difference. I thought it made a difference for me when I shot faster, but that could have been a fluke as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuigiMusse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available