opinion on all brass hulls

light476

Reaction score
what is the consensus on the all brass hulls MFG. by CBC, BRAZILIAN made, 20 gauge & 12 gauge hulls? do they last for a goodly amount of time? when & if failure occurs, what happens, burn holes, splitting, enlarged primer pocket? just curious. I am going to purchase a box of each.

Curious myself.

I got very lucky and was drawn for 2 quota deer hunts. Shotgun, (muzzleloading, archery), only area. And I'm looking for information on who reloads 12 gauge brass cartridge.

I’ve used 12 gauge 2.5” Magtech all-brass shotgun shells hand loaded by a friend with AAA shot for hunting Greylag geese in the past. They worked satisfactorily. Despite being designed exclusively for use with blackpowder, my friend found a smokeless load recipe for them. Quite labor intensive, though. And the Magtech brass hulls were rather thin, so they didn’t last more than six reloads. It helps to anneal your brass hulls.

Last edited:
I’ve used 12 gauge 2.5” Magtech all-brass shotgun shells hand loaded by a friend with AAA shot for hunting Greylag geese in the past. They worked satisfactorily. Despite being designed exclusively for use with blackpowder, my friend found a smokeless load recipe for them. Quite labor intensive, though. And the Magtech brass hulls were rather thin, so they didn’t last more than six reloads. It helps to anneal your brass hulls.

Does your friend reload the brass hulls with slugs?

Can you share his recipe(s) for reloading brass hulls with shot, and with slugs that is if he reloads brass hulls with slugs.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Does your friend reload the brass hulls with slugs?

Can you share his recipe(s) for reloading brass hulls with shot, and with slugs that is if he reloads brass hulls with slugs.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Consider it done, @Ridge Runner.

I just got off the phone with him. He has load data with:
- Spherical Ball
- L.G
- A.A.A
- English #4

Which would you like ?

I have about 200 Armour Brass 12 Gauge shells made in South Africa years ago. They are lathe turned though, not extruded, and hence need no sizing or annealing. Some of them have done 30 plus loads and are still good to go. They were made with primer pockets for both shotshell and pistol primers, and for both 65 and 70mm chambers.

I know a few people who use them for their paradox guns.

Years ago I loaded 16 Gauge Magtech brass, but as @Hunter Habib states, they are paper thin extruded hulls, and did not last long.

Consider it done, @Ridge Runner.

I just got off the phone with him. He has load data with:
- Spherical Ball
- L.G
- A.A.A
- English #4

Which would you like ?

Thank you @Hunter-Habib.

Which of those you have mentioned would be most comparable to say a 1 ounce conical slug/bullet?

In my case I'll be working up a recipe with 7/8 ounce, 1 ounce, 1-1/8 ounce conical projectiles/ bullets. Shooting a Remington 11-87 with a 20 inch rifled slug barrel. Primarily for whitetail deer and black bear, and perhaps on any hogs in the area coincidental to deer and bear hunting. This particular set up accommodates 2-3/4, and 3 inch shells.

#4 shot is good, as I, and maybe a few other AH members, could start with his load data and adjust it for loading different lead and non lead shot, in various other shot sizes, for various uses: small game, upland birds, waterfowl.

I have about 200 Armour Brass 12 Gauge shells made in South Africa years ago. They are lathe turned though, not extruded, and hence need no sizing or annealing. Some of them have done 30 plus loads and are still good to go. They were made with primer pockets for both shotshell and pistol primers, and for both 65 and 70mm chambers.

I know a few people who use them for their paradox guns.

Years ago I loaded 16 Gauge Magtech brass, but as @Hunter Habib states, they are paper thin extruded hulls, and did not last long.

Can this Armour Brass,12 (70mm) gauge brass hulls still be found in RSA? In 16 gauge?

Thank you @Hunter-Habib.

Which of those you have mentioned would be most comparable to say a 1 ounce conical slug/bullet?

In my case I'll be working up a recipe with 7/8 ounce, 1 ounce, 1-1/8 ounce conical projectiles/ bullets. Shooting a Remington 11-87 with a 20 inch rifled slug barrel. Primarily for whitetail deer and black bear, and perhaps on any hogs in the area coincidental to deer and bear hunting. This particular set up accommodates 2-3/4, and 3 inch shells.

#4 shot is good, as I, and maybe a few other AH members, could start with his load data and adjust it for loading different lead and non lead shot, in various other shot sizes, for various uses: small game, upland birds, waterfowl.
Spherical Ball is most comparable to slugs, @Ridge Runner

Unfortunately, Armor Brass went out of business.

That's sad, because I was hoping to pick up some better brass cases to work with.

Thanks for the information. My next question would have been where can I pick up some. Guess I'll just have to stay with the MagTech.

Spherical Ball is most comparable to slugs, @Ridge Runner
Thanks @Hunter-Habib

I was pretty sure it was spherical ball; and English #4. Are much the same as our muzzle loading round ball and #4 shot.

What is A.A A. and L.G. comparative to in our American shot shells?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnettFree

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available